The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #21
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I liked him, and we never really had a major Tiger mutant in TMNT before. He did generally function as this series version of Tatsu or 4kids Hun though, just being Shredder's second in command.
There was Katmandu, who I like better.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Out of all the new characters the Nickelodeon series has introduced, Tiger Claw is probably my second or third favorite. (Xever being my favorite and Steranko also close) Eric Bauza is a solid voice actor to work with the role, nailing the gruff and stern one would expect out of a bounty hunter. He's had badass showings (specifically his first two appearances) and when used in the spotlight properly, he's a highlight for the series.

However, just because he's one of my personal favorites doesn't make him immune to cons. It took way too long to get the origin of his character for one, coming in at the tailgate of season 4; even then, the Alopex rivalry feels offputting. The Tale of Tiger Claw was rather rushed and with the subplot of Casey Jones' cursing, it made what could've been an excellent feud into something rather unclear. Add into the fact his character seemed to shift dynamics quite a bit.

A few individuals, myself included, have pointed out Tiger Claw questioning Shredder's authority. It was one of the best things brewing into the third season; had the trigger been pulled, there could've been three Foot Clan factions possibly for season 4: Shredder, Baxter Stockman and Bradford on one (possibly Xever), Tiger Claw, Bebop and Rocksteady on another, and finally Karai and the then introduced Shinigami. Despite the opportunity to make Tiger Claw his own villain, it seemed more dedicated to making him Shredder's lackey even after the latter's demise in Owari. At least with Hun in 2k3 he made the Purple Dragons an organized criminal gang following Ch'rell's then presumed death. With Tiger Claw, his loyalty feels a little out of control at points; by the time he made the sudden (offscreen) truce in End Times, it all felt off.

Tiger Claw, along with Bradford and Xever, would've benefited if they each had at least an extra episode or two to flesh them all out earlier on in the series. Now that the aforementioned End Times essentially established the Foot making peace with the Turtles (unless a future episode says otherwise), it bothers me Tiger Claw became an afterthought.

Far from a bad character, but Tiger Claw I'd rather prefer to stay in Nick or be a one off in the future. There are several bounty hunter type characters in TMNT itching for usage, such as Scale Tail. Either way, Tiger Claw was solid for what he was for the most part.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
There was Katmandu, who I like better.
Katmandu really had no personality outside of being a buddhist, and in his second appearance he was brainwashed by Animus so he wasn't even a character in that one. The only really cool thing about him is he had 4 arms and waved swords around, that was about it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #24
sdp
-

I haven't really watched the later Tiger Claw episodes but those first appearances were awesome, he's one of the best original characters the CG show created and I would want him to come back in future adaptations.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #25
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Also, Katmandu was an ally of the turtles, Tigerclaw is an antagonist.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Great character in my opinion but I think his send off in "end times" felt abrupt. I preferred his ending in Owari, even if it left things open.

I think the greatest missed opportunity was making Tiger Claw the main antagonist of the tmnt after Shredders death, instead he makes his last appearance 4 episodes into the fifth season, not getting the closure he deserves.

In a way, Tiger Claw couldve been the next Shredder of the tmnt, being the main antagonist of future versions all throughout their story or being Shredders brother who is one of the two main antagonists.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:22 AM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Great character in my opinion but I think his send off in "end times" felt abrupt. I preferred his ending in Owari, even if it left things open.

I think the greatest missed opportunity was making Tiger Claw the main antagonist of the tmnt after Shredders death, instead he makes his last appearance 4 episodes into the fifth season, not getting the closure he deserves.

In a way, Tiger Claw couldve been the next Shredder of the tmnt, being the main antagonist of future versions all throughout their story or being Shredders brother who is one of the two main antagonists.
I agree, Tigerclaw leading the Footclan is so much cooler than Karai. If Karai leads, it always the same. The turtles begin to argue if they shall fight or not, and the conflict slows down much earlier. With Tigerclaw, they have to run and fight for their lives until it's over.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I agree, Tigerclaw leading the Footclan is so much cooler than Karai. If Karai leads, it always the same. The turtles begin to argue if they shall fight or not, and the conflict slows down much earlier. With Tigerclaw, they have to run and fight for their lives until it's over.
Karai's not their enemy in this show anymore. Karai isn't going to go after the Turtles with the Foot Clan, so I don't see the point you're making
Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #29
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Katmandu really had no personality outside of being a buddhist, and in his second appearance he was brainwashed by Animus so he wasn't even a character in that one. The only really cool thing about him is he had 4 arms and waved swords around, that was about it.
Tiger Claw really has no personality outside of being a tough guy/warrior archetype and the only cool thing about him is his ray-gun.

Also, Buddhists need more representation in western media.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Tiger Claw really has no personality outside of being a tough guy/warrior archetype and the only cool thing about him is his ray-gun.
Tiger Claw's loyalty to Shredder, his arrogance and sense of honor and duty, and his ability to see reason all make him more than the blank slate Katmundo was.

I just re-read the entire Archie series about two weeks ago. Katmundo is in 4 issues total or so, he's just a nice buddhist in his first 2-parter and then he's just brainwashed into a mindless fighter in his second.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #31
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It is better in the sense that it would further exacerbate the rivalry Tiger Claw has with Karai and contribute to Karai's desire to be Leader of the Foot someday which should include some sort of action needed to reach that objective. Competing with Tiger Claw would create significantly more development in that regard.

I don't think Karai being the Foot Leader would be precursory for that relationship. Karai is always going to quarrel with each-other regardless of whether or not Tiger Claw leads the Foot. If anything, Karai orchestrating an ambush against Tiger Claw is something that would realistically happen, so this is inevitable.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #32
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Tiger Claw's loyalty to Shredder, his arrogance and sense of honor and duty, and his ability to see reason all make him more than the blank slate Katmundo was.

I just re-read the entire Archie series about two weeks ago. Katmundo is in 4 issues total or so, he's just a nice buddhist in his first 2-parter and then he's just brainwashed into a mindless fighter in his second.
None of which amounted to much. They seemed to be going somewhere with him questioning Shredder's decisions, but they never did anything with that.

A peaceful religious pilgrim stands out a lot more that one more tough guy warrior in a franchise full to the brim with tough guy warriors.

Anyway, they both need fleshing out, but if one of them returns in a future version to be developed, I'd rather it be Katmandu than Tiger Claw.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Katmandu seems better fitting for IDW to be honest. They could have made him part of the Pantheon.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #34
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I could see that.