The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
@ErikDavis: "This movie is going to start right where the last one left off." -- Rian Johnson on Episode VIII #SWCE
He actually made that clear quite a while ago. But it's a little disappointing to me. I was kind of hoping 8 would pop in 2 years later and everyone is a little more seasoned (Rey under Luke, Kylo under Snoke, etc.).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #42
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I want it as soon as possible. Who can wait to find out who Rey is and whose child she is? I can't.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #43
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Who wants to bet that Finn is Luke's son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #44
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here are some highlights from a panel talking about Episode 8.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #45
Revan
Han Shot First

I loved TFA but I was a little bummed we didn't get this.

It doesn't seem to be the way they are going with Leia. I was really hoping to see her more as a warrior.

Movie was fun though. I'm excited for episode 8
Old 09-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #46
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Take it as you will as its just a rumor, but I quite like it if it is true.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainm...=YF&yptr=yahoo
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...33541_f520.jpg

It doesn't seem to be the way they are going with Leia. I was really hoping to see her more as a warrior.

Movie was fun though. I'm excited for episode 8
I think we would have gotten a bit more of that... if they'd gauged that Carrie Fisher would have been up for such things. Maybe in 8 or 9. But I doubt it.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

She's too old. Had Episode 7 been made back in the early 2000's instead of the prequels, then it might have happened.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #49
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm saying it now, Luke will die in this movie and come back as a Force Ghost in Episode 9. Everyone remember this post now in Feb. 2016....2 years from now in late 2017 you will see that I am very right.

Star Wars has turned into Hamlet, King Lear, and Romeo and Juliet. All the main characters die. Its so sad. All the prequel characters HAD to die because that's where the story went, but now we know all the original characters will die too. I'm willing to bet Leia will be the only one to survive the new trilogy.
all the characters will end up dying!

BB-8 will be the last survivor in the entire Galaxy.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I hope Episode VIII resets the table accordingly... nothing even happened in VII and we are equally as clueless about the political landscape as we were when the movie starts (and yes, I realize there are probably books and crap that get into all of that but I shouldn't have to read them to understand). I guess it's inferred that the New Republic started the Resistance in order to plausibly deny things so the Resistance can quietly fight the First Order... but... why does the New Republic need to worry about that? Wouldn't the First Order be the Resistance, if anything? I'm not even sure it's mentioned in the film, but apparently that was the New Republic capital world among the three planets destroyed in the weird Starkiller blasts (that must be travelling at hyperspeed and yet... appear to just be crawling around at sub-light speeds). Why wasn't Coruscant still the capital world?

More than anything I'm worried Disney will diverge from where I think Lucas was taking things. The original trilogy presented kind of a romanticized version of the Jedi in retrospect, that sort of carried off into the EU novels and stuff with Luke starting the new Jedi Academy, this whole new generation of Jedi Knights, etc., but I'm not sure that's what Lucas intended at all. When we meet the Jedi Knights in the prequels, we actually learn that their way was flawed and they were kind of a$$holes that sort of deserved to be snuffed out, or at least their order shoved aside. If things were to continue beyond Episode VI, while I'm sure there might be new crops of Force users, I don't think there would have been a return to the order of the Jedi.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #51
Mayhem
Foot Elite

There's some stuff that got cut out of the final edit (and assuming will be in some later release of the film) that explains a few of the bits you're asking about.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #52
sdp
-

His point is still valid, he shouldn't need to see deleted scenes to understand the basics of the new movie. We had a bunch of questions leading to Ep.VII and after the movie we were on the same boat and we just got a rehash of Ep.IV. I'm glad more people are being critical about Ep.VII. The first few months it was impossible to even mention anything without getting flamed. Now that time has passed I think I can say Ep. VII is my least liked movie and it's because I don't feel like re-watching it. The prequels as "bad" as they are tell a new story, here I don't gain any new information and just see Ep.IV remade.

I really wish we had gotten Lucas' Ep. VIII and see where he took the story, I'm not a fan of this Empire rehash and at least with him we would've gotten something new, he even mentioned he wanted to do something different and new and Disney wanted to "give fans" what they wanted. At least Ep. VIII has to be better since they can't really rehash so many things, we need to have the new villains set up, as long as Kylo Ren isn't a redemption story like Vader's it can only get better from where we are now.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
as long as Kylo Ren isn't a redemption story like Vader's it can only get better from where we are now.
Oh, you can bet it will be. That or he's been in deep cover trying to get close to (and kill) Snoke. I'd bet the farm we'll get Evil Rey vs. Good Kylo by the end.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see them restoring the Jedi order. That would make the series too similar to the prequels which Disney wants to avoid.

Also given this is already 30 years in the future after episode 6, it doesn't seem like there have been any other Jedi running around. So I guess Luke never does restore the Jedi order like in the EU.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also given this is already 30 years in the future after episode 6, it doesn't seem like there have been any other Jedi running around. So I guess Luke never does restore the Jedi order like in the EU.
No, it sounds like he did... for like a few months before Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren butchered them all.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #56
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Check out the new Plinkett review of TFA and other things Star Wars!!! !!! !!!

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #57
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Check out the new Plinkett review of TFA and other things Star Wars!!! !!! !!!

He spends the first hour or so doing even more Lucas/prequel bashing. It got kind of hard to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #58
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...33541_f520.jpg

I think being a f***ing General is good enough of a warrior.

As for the Jedi Order, I'm in agreement that they probably won't bring it back. Because as many have pointed out, the Jedi Order caused a lot of problems that should never have happened. Rather, I think that they'll change what it means to be Force-sensitive. One won't have to necessarily train as a Jedi to hone their powers, especially for those that don't want to participate in the battle aspects of being a Jedi.

It seems from this context, Leia chose not to use her capabilities to be a Jedi, but rather to enhance the ones she already had.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #59
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
He spends the first hour or so doing even more Lucas/prequel bashing. It got kind of hard to listen to.
Yeah, this is easily his worst review. Very unfocused and unfunny, to be honest. Too bad cuz I loved his last three.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Yeah, this is easily his worst review. Very unfocused and unfunny, to be honest. Too bad cuz I loved his last three.
I knew I wasn't going to like this review as soon as I heard the RLM consensus on The Force Awakens. In the Ghostbusters review they were like, "The Force Awakens did it the right way, Ghostbusters did it the wrong way." Ehhh... just by copying a movie scene-for-scene and playing it safe? No.

It's a funny review, but I just don't agree with Plinkett. And yeah, it appears to only exist to get in new jabs at Lucas.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw