The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you drink or smoke? (click all that apply)
I smoke cigarettes 4 11.11%
I smoke cigars 2 5.56%
I smoke weed 9 25.00%
I drink beer 23 63.89%
I drink liquor 19 52.78%
I drink wine 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Smoke - no, never.

Drink - Only on a rare occasion and just one.

Guess I'm more the liquor sort, vodka based things mostly. I prefer things that actually taste good, along the lines of "Mike's Hard Lemonade" and similar. Nothing too fancy. A personal fave though is Applebee's White Peach Sangria. Prob the one wine based thing I like.

That drink at that restaurant it big though. Last time I had it (I think last birthday, usually the only time I even have it) I requested half the size.

We've tried some of those new-ish hard sodas back around the New Year. The orange and vanilla sodas were okay, sorta... a bit too beer/ale aftertaste for me. Last one we still had sitting around was a cherry cola that was my mom's... we finally opened it recently. Bleh. Like fermented cherry. We both had a taste and agreed to dump it out. lol We had two hard Root Beers in the fridge for a while though, I eventually had both (not in the same day); THAT one you can't even tell is alcoholic, that could be dangerous if someone didn't know. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-07-2017 at 04:15 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #22
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I like craft beer, and I drink about 2 to 3 a month these days. I'll have a glass of wine once in a blue moon, maybe 3 or 4 a year.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wow, I can't believe I'm the only person on the whole board that smokes cigarettes.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

"I don't smoke and I don't chew, and I don't go with girls that do."

In all seriousness never had a "want to" in regards to both smoking or drinking. Smoking took my Grandma Dunlap (fell asleep smoking and lit her chair on fire.) and smoking and drinking (both to much excess) cost my wife both her parents. Needless to say not a fan.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

No to either, my poison is soda.

I drink like 3-4 cans of either Coca Cola or Pepsi every single day. Someone told me this is just as bad as people who smoke or drink alcohol every day. Am i going to an early grave by drinking soda?

They wouldn't let kids drink it if it was bad for you, right?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #26
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I don't drink nor smoke, The only stuff I drink are Coke or Pepsi.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wow, I can't believe I'm the only person on the whole board that smokes cigarettes.
There was one person here who said he smokes, but I don't even know if he comes here anymore. He may have even since quit smoking.

As for me, non-smoker all the way. I've never drank either, but if I did, I wouldn't overindulge.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No to either, my poison is soda.

I drink like 3-4 cans of either Coca Cola or Pepsi every single day. Someone told me this is just as bad as people who smoke or drink alcohol every day. Am i going to an early grave by drinking soda?

They wouldn't let kids drink it if it was bad for you, right?
People also let kids eat junk food, and that's not good for your health either.

Soda is really bad you. Also, ever heard that myth about it being great to unclog pipes? Well I remember buying a cleaning product to unclog my kitchen sink and it didn't work very well. So you know what they say about desperate times requiring desperate measure and I went out and bought two cans of Coca-Cola. I poured both down the sink, waited a few minutes and... it worked. I sh*t you not. So yeah, just imagine what that will do to your insides.

Afaik, there's literally zero benefits for drinking soda. However, they say that one glass of red wine during dinner can be good for your heart. Just like beer in moderation can be good for you. Lots of studies seem like BS and contradicting of others, but yeah, an occasional beer or glass of red wine will not shorten your life significantly.

Btw, even though I only really drink beer, some wins are fine. But wine is a bit more pricey(top quality wine, that is) and I don't have the patience to open those goddamn corked bottles.

I had a glass of whiskey once a a party(don't remember which brand) and it was OK. Quite strong. But I can't really handle overtly strong alcohol.

Btw, is it true that beer hangovers are the worst ones due to all the beer you need to drink in order ot get drunk? It's also annoying how beer makes you pe so much.

Personally, the worst hangover I've had was form vodka. I drank half a bottle of Zubrowka and holy hell I thought I was gonna die next day. Vodka tastes like **** anyway.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #29
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Almost everyone I work with smokes. And I find myself joining them every now and then when we're out drinking on the road. I just couldn't imagine factoring that habit into my budget.

I'm more surprised by the amount of prudes here in general. I feel for everyone with a tragic reason for being turned off by, but the rest of y'all need to cut loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Btw, is it true that beer hangovers are the worst ones due to all the beer you need to drink in order ot get drunk? It's also annoying how beer makes you pe so much.
HELL no that's not true. I can drink a freakin barrel of beer and wake up just fine. Too much liquor will stifle that ass.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Almost everyone I work with smokes. And I find myself joining them every now and then when we're out drinking on the road. I just couldn't imagine factoring that habit into my budget.

I'm more surprised by the amount of prudes here in general. I feel for everyone with a tragic reason for being turned off by, but the rest of y'all need to cut loose.

HELL no that's not true. I can drink a freakin barrel of beer and wake up just fine. Too much liquor will stifle that ass.
Thought so. But some people say beer hangovers are the worst, which I find bizarre.

One thing I find interesting about booze is ho two drinks of the exact same AVB percentage can have a variation as far as "how many it takes to get you shitfaced" goes. Sangria doesn't have a very high ABV but it can get you pretty drunk due to its high concentration. I also can drink some Heinekens and Carlsbergs and wake up fine the next day as far as beer goes, but Super Bock is a no no. It's "only" 5,2% ABV but its barley and malt is more heavily concentrated than the aforementioned two beers. Heineken is almost juice, really.

And, from my experience, after that time I had a vodka hangover NEVER again. Got a bad experience with Martini as well. I've NEVER had to puke during a beer hangover.

EDIT: wow "shitfaced" passes the censorship test
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #31
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Honestly, I think a weird experience I had the first (and last) time I was drunk after shorts, I didn't even get hungover.

It was something like three shots of vodka, three of tequila, a shot of rum in a coke, and I woke up the next morning just fine. But I did sleep restlessly and had a single terrifying lucid dream. I think it's because I brought a bottle of water to bed with me and drank all of it. I didn't even feel sick while I was drunk. Just tired and clumsy.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Honestly, I think a weird experience I had the first (and last) time I was drunk after shorts, I didn't even get hungover.

It was something like three shots of vodka, three of tequila, a shot of rum in a coke, and I woke up the next morning just fine. But I did sleep restlessly and had a single terrifying lucid dream. I think it's because I brought a bottle of water to bed with me and drank all of it.
I've been mastering the "tipsy but not full blown drunk" state. You knwo when you get happy and more relaxed after a few beers but then it goes away quickly and it's as if you had not drunk AT ALL. Ofc it requires some discipline since one more beer or hell only half of one can take you from a "buzzed/tipsy" state to a "next morning is hell" state.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #33
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
but the rest of y'all need to cut loose.
*shrug* People have different ideas of what cutting loose is, or simply no interest in doing so.

I prefer remaining a relaxed state of a clear, sound mind... No interest in purposely making my mind anything but normal. Pisses me off enough just being dizzy from a cold virus, I don't want anything else making my head weird. (edit: I even despise 'laughing gas' at the dentist because of it and won't use it.)

Between this and the other thread though, I'm kind of surprised reading other comments about losses of grandparents that were likewise contributed to smoking and drinking. Though I guess if they were the same or close enough generations, I guess it was the times.

Definitely some alcohol addiction on my father's side and he himself had to watch it. (Fortunately his "on call" job pretty much forced him to have to behave.) Just not really anything I have any interest in repeating.

Smoking just seems gross, and alcohol... though I don't criticize or condemn moderate drinking, it's just a dumb beverage to me and I don't get the lame fascination and obsession some have with it. Like the daughter of my mom's friend who was at one time so proud of herself for how much alcohol she thought she could handle. Um... okay... "go you," I guess? If that's what you're proud of in life, it's time to reevaluate things.

What little I will drink now and then, I drink it because I like it flavor-wise, not for what it could do to me if I drank more of it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-07-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
*shrug* People have different ideas of what cutting loose is, or simply no interest in doing so.

Between this and the other thread though, I'm kind of surprised reading other comments about losses of grandparents that were likewise contributed to smoking and drinking. Though I guess if they were the same or close enough generations, I guess it was the times.

Definitely some alcohol addiction on my father's side and he himself had to watch it. (Fortunately his "on call" job pretty much forced him to have to behave.) Just not really anything I have any interest in repeating.

Smoking just seems gross, and alcohol... and, though I done criticize or condemn moderate drinking, it's just a dumb beverage to me and I don't get the lame fascination and obsession some have with it. Like the daughter of my mom's friend who was at one time so proud of herself for how much alcohol she thought she could withstand. Um... okay... "go you," I guess? If that's what you're proud of in life, it's time to reevaluate things.
My maternal grandfather had his first cigarette ever at the age of 9. Yes, nine years old. Granted it was the 30s, but still He died early in his 60s... gee no wonder.

No deaths related to alcohol abuse in my family. I couldn't imagine what it's like to live with an alcoholic. It must be hell. Plus kicking alcohol addiction is apparently even more dangerous than kicking heroin cold turkey.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Fortunately I don't think my paternal grandfather was a bad drunk. That side seems to result in the happy sort of drunks, rather than the angry type, so there's that, I guess. If my uncle reflects how my grandfather was, then there's at least some measure of self control when responsibilities required laying off of it. (Though I know much of my uncle's habit probably stems from his own father's death to begin with.)

Quote:
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

I'm kinda surprised by that as well.. I don't keep track but so many of my classmates smoke. As do/did many people I've went to school with/worked with. It's like once you get to 10th grade smokers start popping up like mushrooms after rain.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #37
Icebot
Foot Elite

I do neither one.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I don't smoke tobacco and can't even be AROUND anyone who smokes weed- because I'm allergic to it. Violently so, in fact. Even a faint whiff makes me almost nauseous and makes me choke and cough.

I drink on occasion, mostly wine or mixed drinks. Beer tastes like crap to me though I like mead and hard cider. I can drink vodka, rum, schnapps, or whiskey straight (hey, I'm IRISH lol) but prefer it with something else. Won't touch cognac or straight tequila though. My drinking is usually confined to one or two drinks on special occasions or holidays though when I was younger it was much more frequent. My 21st birthday I had nearly an entire 5th of vodka BY MYSELF and got plastered. Turns out, you can't DM a D&D game when you're plowed. Who knew?!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #39
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Turns out, you can't DM a D&D game when you're plowed. Who knew?!
THIS is what I'm talking about. Nerds can party too, people.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

I've definitely played co-op online with friends tipsy/drunk before.

Tags
#citationneeded, takeittopm