The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #21
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I'm not sure if "prefer" is the right word as far as my situation goes. I've never used any other form of online communication except email. I despise learning new systems. Never had anything like Facebook or Instagram etc. I still never replaced photobucket after they started charging hundreds. I only ever used photobucket and don't want to try anything else or pay $400 either. So I'm SOL on that front. If the drome ever went away I'd most likely be done for awhile with any type of online communication except for email.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, being born in the 80's all this social media stuff might as well be a foreign language to me. I don't know about any of this stuff, as it's "after my time."

I still remember dial-up internet, and when people used AOL for their e-mail. I feel like a dinosaur on the internet, so I mostly avoid this stuff.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, being born in the 80's all this social media stuff might as well be a foreign language to me. I don't know about any of this stuff, as it's "after my time."

I still remember dial-up internet, and when people used AOL for their e-mail. I feel like a dinosaur on the internet, so I mostly avoid this stuff.
That doesn't stop tons of middle aged people to use facebook on a daily basis, so don't act like being born in the mid-80s makes you "too old for this".
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well there's also the fact that I have no real use for it. I mean what I'm going to do, post some random thoughts on a social media wall? I do the same thing on forums all the time.

And besides that it feels like you can barely interact with anyone there besides people you know. Here I can post my opinions on anything and debate things on various cartoons/movies/videogames/media as I see fit.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #25
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:

Yeah I remember dialup and also AOL CDs with limited hours of online time. And videos only a few minutes long that I would give up on watching because it would take like an hour to load.

I used a chat room briefly around 1997. I met this girl from the UK. The funny thing is we decided to also exchange physical addresses and ended up writing a few actual pen/paper letters to each other. My parents didn't know to warn be not to give out my address. It was the 90's and the internet was still so new. I also used ICQ in 2001 for like a week and only chatted with locals from around my area.

Spoiler:
I'm getting too old for this sh**

Last edited by TurtleWA; 09-17-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well there's also the fact that I have no real use for it. I mean what I'm going to do, post some random thoughts on a social media wall? I do the same thing on forums all the time.

And besides that it feels like you can barely interact with anyone there besides people you know. Here I can post my opinions on anything and debate things on various cartoons/movies/videogames/media as I see fit.
My point is, everyone is on social media these days, including people as old or even older than your parents.

Now if you think it's pointless for you to join facebook, instagram, etc. then don't. No one is forcing you to do so.

Btw, apparently tumblr has been around since 2007, already.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That doesn't stop tons of middle aged people to use facebook on a daily basis, so don't act like being born in the mid-80s makes you "too old for this".
My Grandmother born in 1939 has a Facebook.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #28
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Wow.
Ain't that something?

LOL, she probably has more Friends than I would too.

Just goes to show you're never too old for something. Time to go play with some toys, LOL.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #29
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Wow.
Ain't that something?

LOL, she probably has more Friends than I would too.
I'm not sure how many friends she has. Mostly I think she has it because it helps her be a part of and stay in contact with several family members on the east coast. Grandpa also has a smart phone. Maybe it helps them feel young, who knows really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Just goes to show you're never too old for something. Time to go play with some toys, LOL.
Classic
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
That doesn't surprise me. Whenever I read the comment sections of online newspapers and such, lots of people commenting there are not younger than 55.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #31
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't see why older people can't use social media, they don't do it as much as the young but imagine you are 50/60 and you live to you re 90, do you have to spend 30/40 years hidden away because you aren't young?
Saying that though I feel a little old for places like Tmblr, it seems more for teens and 20s but I may be wrong about that?

A lot of people use facebook (not all) just to keep up with people they know rather than join discussions etc.
Edit: One thing with being on a forum is you have common interests, you can also choose which threads you do and don't care about, on some social media you will get all subjects unless they are in groups.

Last edited by newfan; 09-18-2017 at 12:48 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #32
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I guess message boards, but aside from here and one other, I don't really frequent them as much as I used to.

I use my Facebook PM to talk with family or friends. I use LINE, but that's more forced on me since I have to use it for work. I use Skype, but mostly to talk with my folks back home.

I don't use any other social media thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I don't see why older people can't use social media, they don't do it as much as the young but imagine you are 50/60 and you live to you re 90, do you have to spend 30/40 years hidden away because you aren't young?
Well, maybe people don't use it because they're just old-school. They prefer to speak to people face to face.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-18-2017 at 04:18 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #33
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I guess message boards, but aside from here and one other, I don't really frequent them as much as I used to.

I use my Facebook PM to talk with family or friends. I use LINE, but that's more forced on me since I have to use it for work. I use Skype, but mostly to talk with my folks back home.

I don't use any other social media thing.Well, maybe people don't use it because they're just old-school. They prefer to speak to people face to face.
I agree with that, I didn't mean they should use it, I meant 'why can't they' as in I've heard people comment on older people being 'too old' to use it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #34
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Reddit for text, Tumblr for gifs and images.

Forums for discussions about niche stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Eh, I tried going to reddit for a little while but gave up. The way the posts are formatted annoy me greatly and it's hard to even respond to anyone. To hell with reddit.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #36
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I don't have an interest in using Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, etc. Don't have a Reddit account, but I find it to be a good source of information about stuff such as tv shows and music.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #37
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
My mom and my Grandma's husband both have FB accounts. Mom uses hers to keep in touch with family. I imagine his is about the same. Im the same way. Used to be on mine all the time but got kind of bored witth it so now I justvcheck it once in a while to keep up with my little girl's life and occasionally say hi to old friends.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote