The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #1081
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
Says the woman with every Turtles publication ever released. Just a wee bit hypocritical IMO
The majority of my comic collection was purchased as it was published for cover price. Of the stuff that doesn't fall into that category, the majority of that was purchased for cheap at local comic shops and conventions before eBay existed. If that's hypocritical, then I guess having anything makes me hypocritical. So be it.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #1082
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The majority of my comic collection was purchased as it was published for cover price. Of the stuff that doesn't fall into that category, the majority of that was purchased for cheap at local comic shops and conventions before eBay existed. If that's hypocritical, then I guess having anything makes me hypocritical. So be it.
I guess I just find it odd that you are so quick to judge the people with large collections, when you yourself are one of those people.

I dunno, I guess I just feel like there are people out there who feel like those of us who have been blessed with the means for large collections should somehow be ashamed, or are otherwise unworthy of our fandom. I'm sorry, but I have made tremendous strides, and have overcome many challenges in my life to be able to be where I am financially, and anyone who feels that I am a lesser person or somehow inferior because of how I choose to spend my earnings can go **** themselves.

Again, I am just tired of the collectors repeatedly having to defend themselves because they manifest their love for the brand materialistically.

Last edited by Archon_Turtle; 05-31-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 PM   #1083
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
I guess I just find it odd that you are so quick to judge the people with large collections, when you yourself are one of those people.
I don't judge people based on the size of their collection, but I do judge people based on their attitude about their collection. Yes, I have developed an unfavorable opinion about your "Look at me!" attitude about your collection, something you are defensive about. That's fine. I have never been about "elitism," a word you used when you invited me to join your blog and I declined. In 10+ years of TMNT online fandom, "elitism" and "celebrated collectors" are terms I've only seen thrown around, mostly by you, within the last year or so.

When I joined the original TMNT-L mailing list in 1996 my very first message was about how having the most stuff or doing the most stuff doesn't at all make someone the biggest fan. I have stood by that philosophy for the last 13 years and I will continue to do so. Have I done a lot of stuff and collected a lot of stuff? Absolutely. And surely, by nature, it all comes up in conversation, and perhaps I actually have been hypocritical here and there. But I also know some extremely, extremely dedicated and knowledgeable fans who have little to no collection and a lot of them are probably bigger and better fans than I ever have been. And I think the world of those people.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #1084
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Thanks Rose, that means a lot.

What? You weren't talking about me...phooey!!

I agree, having a big collection doesn't make you a fan, nor does knowledge. It's all about passion. I may not be the most knowledgeable, and I may not have the most stuff, but I love the Ninja Turtles and no one's gonna make me fell like less of a fan for either count.

I know if I could afford it I'd have scads of Turtle crap, and that stuff would in a way increase my knowledge, but it wouldn't make me any bigger a fan than I am right now.

Just my OSHO...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #1085
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Yes, I have developed an unfavorable opinion about your "Look at me!" attitude about your collection, something you are defensive about. That's fine.
As I have said to you before on this topic. I fail to see how my sharing items in my collection as a acquire them in the sections of this forum THAT ARE DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THAT PURPOSE is a negative trait. God forbid I discuss toys and collectibles in a forum section entitled TOYS/COLLECTIBLES DISCUSSION. Am I proud of my collection? You bet your ass I am, but again, I do not see the problem with that either. I have the honor of being the caretaker of some very rare and interesting "artifacts", and I still fail to see the problem with the desire to share these things with other like minded people.

Quote:
I have never been about "elitism," a word you used when you invited me to join your blog and I declined. In 10+ years of TMNT online fandom, "elitism" and "celebrated collectors" are terms I've only seen thrown around, mostly by you, within the last year or so.
I do find it so funny that you love to air private conversation between us as if I have something to hide.

The fact that you construed the term "elite" in a negative light when I used it is interesting. When, in fact, I don't see there being a damn thing wrong with me wanting to recruit the best of the best for GGM, and i wouldn't have worded anything differently.

I'm going to have to paraphrase, since I didn't retain that conversation, as I didn't think there was anything in it to have to defend against later. Clearly i was wrong.

When I referred to wanting to recruit the TMNT Elite for GGM, I meant that I wanted to involve the best and brightest in their particular specialty. Because I believed that people of that caliber would give the best creative input toward the project. I believe i was right, and I believe I HAVE assembled that team (of those who were willing). I think our definitions of elite just differ. You believe Elite to be synonymous with "Snob", while I believe Elite to simply mean those with the most knowledge, experience and ability.

And since you're so fond of throwing terms in my face, I'd like to note that the first time I have ever used the term "celebrated collector" was when I just used it several posts ago, only as a term to categorize the collectors who have gained some level of public celebrity. A category I might add, that you fall into...or are you not featured in the upcoming turtle power doc, as well as widely making a name for yourself as "The girl that hates Peter Laird". Whether or not you buy into that title yourself, if you drop that title to anyone in the fandom, they know who you are talking about. That, my friend, is celebrity.

Quote:
When I joined the original TMNT-L mailing list in 1996 my very first message was about how having the most stuff or doing the most stuff doesn't at all make someone the biggest fan. I have stood by that philosophy for the last 13 years and I will continue to do so. Have I done a lot of stuff and collected a lot of stuff? Absolutely. And surely, by nature, it all comes up in conversation, and perhaps I actually have been hypocritical here and there. But I also know some extremely, extremely dedicated and knowledgeable fans who have little to no collection and a lot of them are probably bigger and better fans than I ever have been. And I think the world of those people.
That is all fine and good Rose, but you've taken that pure ideal, and twisted it over the years. Your apparent philosophy these days goes one step further by saying that not only does "having the most stuff or doing the most stuff doesn't at all make someone the biggest fan" but also that the people that DO do the most stuff or have the most stuff are somehow LESSER fans by default because of it. THAT is what I take issue with.

Last edited by Archon_Turtle; 06-01-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #1086
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

To me the greatest thing is the amazing memories I have of being a fan since childhood.

I have very fond recollections of hunting down figures with my now 70 year old grandmother, something I still do with her till this day.
I will cherish that always more any giant collection or mass amount of information in my head concerning the brand.

My mother has fond memories of me asking for TMNT toys as a little boy and if we couldn't afford them at the time I'd always ask her if I could have another for my Birthday or Christmas, she chuckles every time she says it to me.

My mother even got in contact with Playmates Toys once telling them how much I was into the line (around 1995) and set it up so they called when I came home from school that day, now I may not think much of it because I don't like what they do but to think back it's stuff like this that my family did that has kept me such a huge fan for years and years to come.

As allot of you know I sold my collection a few years back as I was ill and didn't have a job, but that doesn't mean the passion and love for the brand has gone.
It just means I'm able to part with my material possessions without to much trouble because no matter the face value of any of these items I'll always have these amazing memories to carry along with me no matter where life may take me.

Oh well enough, this is the Ebay thread not the back and forth bicker show.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #1087
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
And since you're so fond of throwing terms in my face, I'd like to note that the first time I have ever used the term "celebrated collector" was when I just used it several posts ago, only as a term to categorize the collectors who have gained some level of public celebrity. A category I might add, that you fall into...or are you not featured in the upcoming turtle power doc,
I'm in the doc as a fan; very little of my collection was filmed, and what was was more for example of certain things and not as "my collection."

Quote:
as well as widely making a name for yourself as "The girl that hates Peter Laird". Whether or not you buy into that title yourself, if you drop that title to anyone in the fandom, they know who you are talking about. That, my friend, is celebrity.
WTF? Since when did I ever go around "dropping" that "title" around? You of all people should know how much I hate the situation between me and Peter and find nothing funny about the "jokes" people try to make about it.

Look, I'm not interested in fighting with you, 'cause it isn't going to change or fix anything. So this is done. I'm a bad person, blah blah blah. I already know all that.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #1088
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
WTF? Since when did I ever go around "dropping" that "title" around? You of all people should know how much I hate the situation between me and Peter and find nothing funny about the "jokes" people try to make about it.
I was using the royal "you". And I know you hate it, but that doesn't alter the fact that you're famous for it. But you're right. This is done, just wanted to clarify. If you would like ot have the last word, you may, I won't respond to whatever it is you post next.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #1089
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist

While it is interesting and entertaining to read your different points of views, is there any chance that you two can take this conservation to a different thread??
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #1090
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggleKng View Post
While it is interesting and entertaining to read your different points of views, is there any chance that you two can take this conservation to a different thread??
I understand your desire to participate...but why would you make this suggestion after we have both agreed the conversation is over?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #1091
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
In that same vein, and admittedly I am feeling defensive myself on this particular topic, just because someone DOES choose to spend an abundance of money during the course of their fandom, does not mean they should be demonized for it. I think there are a number of people (and this is something I deal with on a very regular basis) that DO demonize the more celebrated collectors. I think you will find that terms like "The worlds biggest turtle fan" are NOT self appointed titles. Just something to keep in mind when throwing stones.
I've spent my fair share on turtles as well. I own every issue the turtles have been in, all the trades, and a fair number of action figures to boot. I also spent a better part of 1,000 or more dollars on getting pictures custom framed. I just get a bit annoyed when the names "biggest fan" get tossed around just because someone happens to have more stuff then everyone else.

As you said they aren't always self appointed titles. I was just simply stating my view on the subject.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #1092
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

Pizza Thrower w/ Box

Pizza Thrower

Is this even an 'eBay' thread anymore?

Anyway, this guy is selling it for a cheap price I think, but his picture is someone elses, because he says it only has one pizza, sticker wear, etc.

Good deal? I was thinking about getting it, but without an accurate picture, I don't know. It DOES come with the box, though.
DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #1093
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
Pizza Thrower

Is this even an 'eBay' thread anymore?

Anyway, this guy is selling it for a cheap price I think, but his picture is someone elses, because he says it only has one pizza, sticker wear, etc.

Good deal? I was thinking about getting it, but without an accurate picture, I don't know. It DOES come with the box, though.
Not an incredible deal, its open and only has one pizza. Im sure you could find something better as far as price and condition go, patience. But hey if you want it now, go for it.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #1094
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

Na, I was just wondering. Because usually great deals with BIN go within a few minutes of it being up. It's been up for about half a day. Thanks for the input though.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #1095
andrewdsz
Stone Warrior

Not worth it.

Period.
andrewdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #1096
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

'88 Don & '89 Metalhead in Original Packaging

Ok, I don't know if I was seeing things, or didn't there used to be a 'TMNT only' eBay thread?

I can't find it if there was, so here's my TMNT figure auctions going on right now:

'88 Donatello Mint Card & Bubble, Unpunched

'89 Metalhead Mint Card/NM Bubble, Unpunched

I offer combined shipping if you win both.

Thank you for looking.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1097
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teenage-Mutant-N...3%3A1|294%3A50

An interesting item from the 3rd movie..
Old 06-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #1098
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggleKng View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Teenage-Mutant-N...3%3A1|294%3A50

An interesting item from the 3rd movie..
and by interesting, of course you mean super gross
Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #1099
andrewdsz
Stone Warrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-Topps-Teena...3A7%7C294%3A50

tmnt deluxe movie cards case box set sealed.
andrewdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #1100
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

this made me chuckle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TMNT-TEENAGE-MUT...3A3%7C294%3A50