The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #21
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Wes: Glad to see somebody else posting! Cool LEGO Daleks; I like the red one the best out of the two. Gorilla Grodd looks great as well--I think some dry brushing on his fur would enhance the look, bringing out the detail in the sculpt.

Cacatac (SNES: Super Metroid):

More photos/information.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Wes
Mad Scientist

Ninjinister: Thanks! Grodd is a repaint of the Playmates Gripping Kong -- here's a shot of them together:

Patraw: Thanks as well! Actually the choice not to drybrush Grodd was deliberate, as I thought the original figure looked pretty horrid with drybrushing. There's some detail on the sculpt, but it's not good enough that I'd want to highlight it! Personal preference, but I think less is more with the Playmates Kongs. (Also I had little to no understanding of drybrushing when I made it... that too was a factor. )

And thanks for the comments on the Daleks! One of these days I'll have to order up the parts to make more in different colors. Designing those things from scratch was time consuming to say the least, but now that I've got the LDD models saved they could theoretically be mass produced.

Love your new Cacatac -- it looks very prickly.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Ninjinister
無問題

How tall are those Playmates Kongs...?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
Wes
Mad Scientist

They vary in height -- some have knees permanently bent and/or just shorter legs/torsos -- but they're generally the same height or slightly taller than your average DCUC figure.

So about 6.5-7 inches, I'd say.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
Ninjinister
無問題

Nice. Think I've got to invest in some.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #26
Wes
Mad Scientist

What, have you got an updated Sergeant Bananas custom in mind?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #27
Ninjinister
無問題

Not quite...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #28
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Another one I made last night:

Mud Man (NES: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse):

More photos/information.

Experimental Squid Lice Mandiabla (Gameboy: Operation C):

More photos/information.

Last edited by Patraw; 09-21-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added more photos
Patraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #29
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse (PC: Hexen II):

More photos/information.

Sister of Despair (Nintendo 64/PC: Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil):

More photos/information.

Needler WIP (PS3/Xbox 360/PC: Silent Hill - Homecoming)

I sculpted the legs yesterday and the arms this morning--both are still subject to some additional revision. The body shown is NOT going to be used in the final figure, it's just an extra torso I had lying around from a casting/molding experiment that I used for a mock-up to give a rough idea of what the final figure's proportions will look like.

Edit:

Here's the Needler finished:

More photos/information.

Last edited by Patraw; 10-16-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added more content
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Raccoon Raider (original design):

More photos/information.

Schildgeist (Gameboy: Gargoyle's Quest - Ghosts 'N Goblins):

More photos/information.

Earth Guard/Land Ray (SNES/Playstation/GBA: Final Fantasy VI):

More photos/information.

Phase/Face (SNES/Playstation/GBA: Final Fantasy VI):

More photos/information.

Crusher (SNES/Playstation/GBA: Final Fantasy VI):

More photos/information.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Ninjinister
無問題

Damn! Somebody's been a busy beaver! Impressive stuff!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #32
Patraw
Stone Warrior

CAVE NEEDLE

Subterranean, bipedal, wasp-like enemies that can be found in Sega's 1988 Altered Beast [original Japanese title: Jyuuouki (Beast King's Chronicle)] arcade video game (it was also ported to many popular home systems soon afterwards, including the Genesis, Famicom, Master System, PC Engine, and several computer formats--more recently, it has also appeared as a selection on various Sega compilation discs and as a virtual download).

These arthropods can only be encountered in the third level, The Cavern of Souls. Cave Needles sprint through the rocky tunnels of said locale in large numbers, impaling unfortunate trespassers on their poison stingers. Their vestigial wings are too small to allow flight. A single punch or kick, regardless of how powered-up the player currently is, will destroy these chitinous critters, or, if you've collected enough orbs to morph into the Bear form, you can petrify them with an exhalation of your breath (after which you can opt to leave them as-is, frozen in stone forever, or shatter the insect statue to pieces).

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, hot glue, wire twist ties, transparent plastic from a toy package, gloss nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
[NOTE: Due to the articulation, these values will vary depending on how the joints are positioned;
the numbers given assume a neutral standing pose.]
4.5 cm/1.8 in. x 6.0 cm/2.4 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Twenty-three points: Antennae (4); mandibles (2); neck(2); wings (2); forelimbs (4); torso (2); stinger; hips (2); knees (2); and ankles (2).

Time:
Ten days; January 15-25, 2010--with no work performed on the 23rd.

More info at my web page for this figure:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/cave_needle.html

CATHODE MINER

(I made this guy as an entry for a Steampunk custom figure contest, near the end of November, but, due to circumstances outside my control, wasn't able to submit it before deadline.)

Ever since you were a child, the mines fascinated you. Father frightened you with bedtime tales of gigantic, light-shy spiders (and worse) that preyed on those that strayed too far from the protection of their hydrogen lanterns. Uncle Neb whispered warnings of the incurable cancers and illnesses that infect those that toil too close to the steam pumps that drive the great augers. Your schoolmates were quite sincere in their descriptions of the secret society of mishappen mutants that inhabit the forgotten tunnels. It was all garbage. Nothing exciting or strange ever happens down here. Sure, there's the occasional accident, but you can get run down by a carriage topside too if you're not paying attention. Day-after-day, week-after-week, you scrape away at the rock walls, and the mine slowly erodes you in its own subtler fashion, whittling away your life until you grow old, weak, and retire to your pension. No gold watches anymore either, they're all brass now since the Alchemist Guild's colossal boondoggle in '23 that permanently transmuted every atom of the stuff on the planet into lead. You should have gone into crystal farming, like your brother, Tommy . . .

I used a 12" G.I.JOE Valor vs. Venom Voice FX Duke as the base body. The shirt, pants, and two of the knee pads are also from that figure. The aqua lung, boots, halligan (fireman's multi-function tool), goggles, and another pair of knee pads are from various Power Team Elite 12" military/police figures. The satchel is from the 12" rotocast Green Goblin. The lantern was made from a transparent screwdriver handle, the bubble from a miniature gumball machine, and a shoe lace--it doesn't light up, that's just a lens flare effect I added in an art program. There's also an assortment of small metal pieces attached to the figure's outfit/gear in various spots, those are mostly parts of tools like screwdriver heads. I made the cigarette out of paper--because Voice FX Duke's mouth actually opens and closes realistically, you can get a pretty good 'chomping on the butt' expression with him.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #33
Powder
So tired of this place

Great as always. You're a machine!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #34
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Awesome work! You def got some skills.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #35
Ninjinister
無問題

An Altered Beast custom. Hot damn.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Chloe: Aviator For Hire

"In her world, Chloe’s not desperate, just tasked.
If you can ‘acquire’ it, she can probably fly it."

- Shiflett Brothers' character description.

This figure was created as an entry for a challenge at Brandon and Jarrod Shiflett's online sculpting forum. The object of said contest was to sculpt/model an interpretation of their original character, Chloe: Aviator For Hire. As can be expected, I went the mini action figure route with my contribution to the event. The figure is not painted (other than a light grey base coat) because that's what the rules called for in terms of presentation for judging.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, hot glue, crazy glue, wire twist ties, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
[NOTE: Due to the articulation, these values will vary depending on how the joints are positioned;
3.3 cm/1.3 in. x 7.0 cm/2.8 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Eighteen points: Neck (2); wings (2); shoulders (2); elbows (2); wrists (2); pistol holster; teddy bear (the previous two exist to facilitate greater range of movement in the legs, which they would obstruct if they were immobile); hips (2); knees (2); and ankles (2).

Time:
Two weeks: February 1-3, 5, 7, 10, 14, 17, 19-21, 23-25 (2010).

Lots more photos:

http://angelfire.com/ult/ace/chloe.html

Twigtall

Slender attack droids that can be randomly encountered in Sega's 1989/1990 Phantasy Star II Sega Genesis video game [original Japanese title: Fantashi Suta Tsu Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni (Phantasy Star II: The End of the Lost Age)]. Said title has also been ported to multiple consoles since then, including the Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, Playstation 2, and Playstation Portable, usually as a selection on a compilation title. Phantasy Star II was also completely revamped for the Playstation 2 "Sega Ages 2500" budget line of games in 2005, where it was the seventeenth release and bears the modified name Phantasy Star Generation 2. This new version of the game can also be found on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

After Rolf and his companions, at great personal cost, put a stop to the out-of-control biomonster production and weather aberrations resulting from the malfunction of Planet Motavia's Bio-Systems Laboratory and Climatrol Tower facilities, the supposedly benevolent Mother Brain (the supreme artificial intelligence that oversees the entire Algo Solar System) immediately brands them all as criminals and sends out legions of her mechanical soldiers to exterminate the heroes. The "Twig" Series of robots makes up a substantial part of the forces deployed to Motavia on this search-and-destroy mission. As they are not terribly damage resistant, due to their spindly construction and light armor, Twig droids specialize in attacking from a distance, rather than closing directly with their opponents. Housed in the cranial cavity is a plasma cannon that can be directed at a single target with devastating effect--the recoil from this weapon is so strong that the robot must first brace itself with all five of its limbs before a shot can safely be fired. A Twig unit can also briefly accelerate its internal power drive, resulting in a spectacular electrical discharge that will severely injure all non-mechanical entities within a 7 meter (23 feet) radius. There are three known models in the Twig Series (in order, from least dangerous to most lethal): Metalman, Twig Man, and Twigtall (renamed Buddy, Budd Twig, and Budd Tail in Phantasy Star Generation 2).

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, hot glue, crazy glue, wire twist ties, a piece of a paperclip, gloss nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
4.3 cm/1.7 in. x 8.7 cm/3.4 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Forty-two points: Antennae (2); jaw; neck (2); shoulder hydraulic assembly (12); biceps (2); elbows (2); wrists (2); mid-torso; hips (3); hocks (6); fetlocks (6); and ankles (3).

Time:
Seven days: February 5, 6, 9, 12, 15, 28, and March 1 (2010).

More information/images:
http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/twigtall.html

Zariche

A nightmarish fusion of skeletal spider and double-headed brute that can be found in Sega's 1992 Arabian-themed Defenders of Oasis Game Gear video game (original Japanese title: Shadam Crusader: Harukanaru Oukoku). Zariche is the first of six Wizard Kings you'll have to face in the game's final dungeon--this unnatural fortress can only be reached by flying from the top of the Tower of Jiklart on the mythical Roc's back.

While all three of the hideous amalgam's heads have nasty dispositions, the left humanoid is particularly high-strung. For reasons that not even the dread Ahriman can fathom, Zariche cannot, nay, WILL NOT, tolerate anyone touching its left shoulder. Should an individual be foolhardy enough to insult Zariche by breaking this strange taboo, the fiend will fly into a berserk rage, attacking until the offender is reduced to little more than a greasy red smear. Ahriman, taking full advantage of his minion's eccentricity, has peppered the narrow, maze-like corridors of an entire wing of his Underworld lair with statues of Zariche, and, as you can probably guess, the tempermental monstrosity will still take offense if you happen to bump the wrong shoulder of an inanimate stone likeness. Apparently, Zariche has some kind of magical sixth-sense attuning it to the replicas, as it can, and will, instantly possess and awaken any profaned monument and use it to attack the defiler--"killing" the statue will not vanquish Zariche itself, as the temporarily beaten creature will simply withdraw to whatever plane of existance it normally inhabits, from whence it can return again, completely restored, to control one of the other sculptures. Needless to say, few would-be trespassers survive long enough to cross Ahriman's gallery of Zariches.

The edges of the massive battle axe Zariche wields are coated with potent venom (doubtlessly milked from some unholy orifice on its twisted body); any successful strike with the weapon, in addition to causing substantial injury, will poison the unfortunate victim (with the exception of the Genie, who, being magical in nature, enjoys immunity from all material toxins). If the venom isn't neutralized, either with the Genie's "Haoma" spell or the "Snake Act" item, the afflicted will succumb to the poison in a short amount of time. Additionally, the bony arachnid that serves as Zariche's lower body can exhale plumes of 1093o C/2000o F flame, charbroiling its foes.

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white glue, hot glue, crazy glue, wire twist ties, sand, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
the numbers given assume a neutral standing pose without the weapon accessory attached.]
7.2 cm/2.8 in. x 7.4 cm/2.9 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Thirty-four points: Necks (2); shoulders (2); elbows (2); wrists (2); waist; skull mandible; and spider legs (3 each, 24 total).

Time:
Two weeks; March 5-7, 9-11, 13-15, 17-19, 23-24 (2010).

More photos/information:
http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/zariche.html

Additionally, if you'd like to see all of the creatures found in Defenders of Oasis, visit my monster sprite archive for the game:
http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/DoO_bestiary.html

My Mother asked me to make a new snout for this broken elephant figurine. She wanted the trunk upraised, as she claims its good luck, but other than that, I was left to my own devices regarding the size/length/etc. The first three photos show it in the original state, the rest all depict my repair job. The new snout is made out of a mixture of Kleenex and white glue, painted with acrylic paint, and attached to the figurine with crazy glue. Unfortunately, I did a terrible job of matching my paintwork to the resin color of the original, so the new snout is a lot darker than it should be (I used a white base coat with a light gray wash). I probably should have used something other than acrylic, or repainted the entire thing so everything would match.

Last edited by Patraw; 03-26-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removed comments meant for another forum I belong to
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #37
Powder
So tired of this place

They're all really great but I especially like twigtall.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #38
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Here's a little critter that can't decide if it wants to be a cephalopod or a crustacean. It's from the 1993 Gameboy RPG Saga III: Jikku No Hasha (Final Fantasy Legend III here in the states). There's a number of asymmetries in the sculpt that I don't like, but I guess it turned out half decent.

Materials:
Newsprint, tissue paper, white glue, crazy glue, wire twist ties, sand, nail polish, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
the numbers given assume a neutral pose.]
4.7 cm/1.9 in. x 2.8 cm/1.1 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Eight points: Shoulders (2); elbows (2); wrists (2); and pincers (2).

Time:
Three days; April 20, 22, and 23 (2010).

More images/info:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/amoeba.html
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #39
Ulisses31
Mad Scientist

For more check my signature links.

Emiliano Santalucia "Home Coming" fan-comic He-Man

From my fan-fiction

From my fan-fiction

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
if you want to be update to all TMNT Redesign Challenges

My Art Gallery for TMNT - And some more Art

Spoiler:

Quote:
If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman
Ulisses31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #40
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Glad to see somebody besides me posting some customs in the thread!

Neat MOTU figures. The robotic armed Zodac is certainly an interesting, Trapjaw-esque variation on the character and the Eternial designs are pretty cool too.