The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Two Canadian dudes spent like 5 years spending millions out of their own pocket to film a TMNT documentary, and now its being officially released.

TMNT fans are passionate. When we want something done, we get it DONE. Andrew's Image conclusion, Canadian Turtles TMNT documentary, Andrew Farago's "TMNT Visual History."

Hell I sent like 10 million e-mails to Lionsgate begging them to include "Planet of the Turtleoids" and "Once upon a Time Machine" on the last TMNT DVD set and I got my wish. I wonder how many of my e-mails had an impact.

I'm now begging Shout Factory to get the license to get the 4kids series released properly on DVD. On my hands and knees.
A documentary and a feature film with state-of-the-art CG aren't the same thing.

And if you sent Lionsgate 10 million emails, I don't think that any of them would have had an impact; they probably would've blocked you after the first 20.

Just teasing. Seriously dude, it's a nice concept, but for the film to be spliced enough to reach a standard that you'd consider to be salvageable would be impossible - you'd have to cut out so much stuff that the resulting film would look like Swiss Cheese, for a start.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

If anyone has been to the Star Wars revisited site a guy is fixing the old trilogy by going in and fixing inconsistencies, light saber color correction and tweaks here and there, all the things Lucas should have fixed but didn't. It's pretty convincing and often times it blends in so well, you don't even notice. So yeah, it can be done but the question is who's going to spend the time to do it?

On a side note, I'd personally love to see a reedit of sorts for the 1990 movie where all cut scenes are included, removal of visible wires, actor in Donnie's mouth removed etc, facial animation and lip syncing is enhanced and corrected and the picture is cleaned up to remove all film grain.

The new movie to me looks like it would take way more time to fix than anyone is willing to put into it. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing what others are able to do with it though.

Last edited by Sabacooza; 06-26-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #23
Midnight Mutant
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by xChri5x View Post
I laughed for like 5 mins in the break room when I saw this, along with your Sig! My night is made.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #25
xChri5x
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Two Canadian dudes spent like 5 years spending millions out of their own pocket to film a TMNT documentary

Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #26
trikuza
Foot Soldier

Original Thread Title:
Could a DVD release "salvage" this movie with alterations and changes?

Edited Thread Title:
I'm very leery of the new ninja turtle movie.
trikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyankees View Post
Why is it already assumed that the movie needs salvaging?
Are you kidding?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Why is this a thread? There is a 0% chance of this happening.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Because CyberCubed accidentally swatted his ball of yarn underneath the couch.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

It could happen. I don't have any CG skills or artistic talent so I can't do it myself.

I'm sure there is at least one or two people in the TMNT fandom who majored in computer programming and animation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #31
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Fan edits are imaginary, whether you make them or not. So why don't you just pretend?
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Don't we have some animation majors or computer experts on this forum? I think at least someone here has experience in animating CG. All you have to do is alter the faces a bit, not the bodies.
...and re-rig all the moving points in the face, then re-animate all head/facial movements for the entire film from scratch by hand and render out the entire thing and get it properly laid over the live footage again. (And whatever I'm not thinking of because I only work a bit with 3D modeling/animation software, not the whole process beyond that and creating such levels of realism is a goal I doubt I'll ever achieve.)

As much as I would love it if they'd have reworked the models a little, that would be a lot harder than simply photoshopping a few images. There would be also, you know, the problem of being given access to the model files and footage in the first place.

I hope that someone else someday can do a very similarly realistic version, but let up on the amount of primate-like features... Sure, nostrils, I have no problem with them being given those and it makes sense, but they could have handled it differently.

In my head I can see a happy medium... I only wish I could draw.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #33
RedRocBoy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyankees View Post
Why is it already assumed that the movie needs salvaging?
Exactly. WTF! They still hating!

Quote:
So we know how sometimes DVD/blu-ray releases of movies have special editions where scenes are entirely different, characters are changed, or lines added? Or what George Lucas does to Star Wars?

In order to salvage this TMNT movie, aside from a standard release of this movie that's expected, I propose a "special edition for TMNT fans" version.

This release will fill all the oddities and mishaps of the movie and be a directors cut for fans - by fans.

I propose the following:

1. A CG reimagining of the Turtles. While their size probably can't be helped as April and the Foot are reacting to things bigger than them, they can be redesigned with a, "no nostrils" look. In this remaster the nostrils and humanoid noses/faces of the Turtles are completely gone. At least that way they won't be totally hideous to look at. I've already seen good photoshops online with people doing just that.

2. Eric Sachs will be completely rewritten. He won't be Shredder in the film, he'll be Oroku Saki's white counterpart for the NYC branch of the Foot. Eric will constantly say things like, "I better not fail Saki" or, "Oroku Saki will have my head if I don't defeat the Turtles."

3. Any plotholes the film might have can be fixed with new lines or added dialogue.

4. Ridiculous scenes of Donnie spinning his bo staff to deflect bullets will be completely cut.

What do you say? Can we salvage this movie by doing a official fan-edit?
Boy you crazy.

Last edited by Jester; 06-27-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: 2x Post
RedRocBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #34
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
Original Thread Title:
Could a DVD release "salvage" this movie with alterations and changes?

Edited Thread Title:
I'm very leery of the new ninja turtle movie.
This.

***but seriously tho, CYBER, if you started this thread as a joke, mission accomplished; I've laughed reading all the responses.

If not, as a CG major, what you are asking would take FOREVER. It was easy for a fan to edit a single frame of footage, but to do for even for minutes of footage, would take a crazy long time. Turtle fans may be passionate, but not clinically insane. Editing their faces, to match the new design, the camera angle, and the lighting ... It's daunting just thinking about it.

And I know you were exaggerating, but the Turtles will be front and center. 30 mins? Try 45. Booyah! (Kasha)
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #35
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
So we know how sometimes DVD/blu-ray releases of movies have special editions where scenes are entirely different, characters are changed, or lines added? Or what George Lucas does to Star Wars?

In order to salvage this TMNT movie, aside from a standard release of this movie that's expected, I propose a "special edition for TMNT fans" version.

This release will fill all the oddities and mishaps of the movie and be a directors cut for fans - by fans.

I propose the following:

1. A CG reimagining of the Turtles. While their size probably can't be helped as April and the Foot are reacting to things bigger than them, they can be redesigned with a, "no nostrils" look. In this remaster the nostrils and humanoid noses/faces of the Turtles are completely gone. At least that way they won't be totally hideous to look at. I've already seen good photoshops online with people doing just that.

2. Eric Sachs will be completely rewritten. He won't be Shredder in the film, he'll be Oroku Saki's white counterpart for the NYC branch of the Foot. Eric will constantly say things like, "I better not fail Saki" or, "Oroku Saki will have my head if I don't defeat the Turtles."

3. Any plotholes the film might have can be fixed with new lines or added dialogue.

4. Ridiculous scenes of Donnie spinning his bo staff to deflect bullets will be completely cut.

What do you say? Can we salvage this movie by doing a official fan-edit?

I met some pretty passionate tmnt fans before, but..my god, this is just ridiculous.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #36
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Just let it be, man.

Forcing expensive CGI changes simply to cater to your own needs is not only selfish, but unrealistic. Even the, in my opinion, terrible changes made to the Star Wars films weren't as consistent as making digital changes to the leads, but instead adding brief, new moments and background characters. The most significant amount of alteration, in terms of the CGI replacements to the actual, original footage of the film was the Death Star, and even then, many of the original shots remained in the film. They didn't go over and CG every shot of Chewie. Heck, they didn't even "fix" the inconsistent lightsaber shots. Even the digital Yoda replacement for The Phantom Menace was just for the very few, shot scenes he was in.

What you're talking about is replacing the four, digital primaries with new designs, and let's face it, you're not talking about simple "improvements." To make the turtles look like the way you want them to look, they would have to start from scratch, for at least Raph and Donnie. Even simply changing the faces wouldn't be economical, as it would require it to be done for almost the entire movie. Even that would be incredibly expensive. Even in Hollywood, money doesn't grow on trees.

Plus, if this movie's bad, it's not gonna be because of the "ugly" designs. It would be for other problems.

As for changing other elements, you could only practically change as much as what is available in the footage. What doesn't doesn't exist in the footage, doesn't exist at all, and thus, to have a product that isn't a complete joke -- which a simple, lazy edit would be -- it would require reshoots, ADR from the actors, more CG since the principal characters are comprised of effects, additional score, so on and so forth. Once again, expensive and impractical.

Want some advice? If you don't like what you see, wait around for the next reboot. Statistically speaking, even if this film is successful and has sequels, there's bound to be another reboot eventually. Also, for god's sake, leave the filmmaking advice for the filmmakers.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 06-27-2014 at 05:10 AM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #37
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
Also, for god's sake, leave the filmmaking advice for the filmmakers.
oddly enough the way people talk on these boards, myself included, you'd think we were all experts at filmmaking, turtle designing, action choreography, etc.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #38
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Two Canadian dudes spent like 5 years spending millions out of their own pocket to film a TMNT documentary, and now its being officially released.

TMNT fans are passionate. When we want something done, we get it DONE. Andrew's Image conclusion, Canadian Turtles TMNT documentary, Andrew Farago's "TMNT Visual History."

Hell I sent like 10 million e-mails to Lionsgate begging them to include "Planet of the Turtleoids" and "Once upon a Time Machine" on the last TMNT DVD set and I got my wish. I wonder how many of my e-mails had an impact.

I'm now begging Shout Factory to get the license to get the 4kids series released properly on DVD. On my hands and knees.
I'm sure shout factory will go through getting back the license and releasing the show just for you. You can beg all you want, but no company is going to notice you.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #39
Lou 500
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Cubed is secretly Lord Voldemort. Thus his obsession with nostrils and how they ruin everything.
God I wish this board had a "like" feature.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #40
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

LOL^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL
Best post I have seen in a while!!!!

Hey Cube why don't you wait to the movie comes out so you can make a fair assessment of the movie????
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live action films