The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #1561
dragonside
Hench Mutant

just took advantage of the black friday sale.

These are amazing. This is the third set that i bought ** from bbts black friday sale
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #1562
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

No Shredder this Toy Fair.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #1563
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
No Shredder this Toy Fair.
They cancelled it a while back.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #1564
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

They can dance around the "in hiatus" all they want, but the response the figure's design got when it was released last year was super negative that there's no way they would think to release it now. Besides, NECA has produced three great Shredder figures already so I'm certain that ship has sailed.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #1565
dragonside
Hench Mutant

SAD.

would have been nice.

NECA has blown their figures out of the water though.

It sounds like from their perspective, Turtles isn't selling as well as their other lines.

In general, I think their big ones have been superheroes (dc, marvel, kamen rider) gundam, and dragon ball. As you will see that they constantly release stuff for these well established lines (as they do not have much competition).

But the Turtles have a lot of different licensors....and therefore too much "choice". For the classic look - Playmates, NECA, Dream Ex (to an extent), have done some amazing work. Ikon releasing the very large classic statues (they are ok, not everyone's cup of tea). Funko Pop versions and various other small scale/chibi types, emojis, dorbz. It's everywhere.

I think what they were expecting was - massive demand for the the SH Figuarsts turtles, but in fact, their expected sales figures were much lower than expected. Keeping in mind that the classic turtles should be amazingly successful. Anything else will most likely sell less.

Adding onto this - i'd say they fit a very weird segment.

Cheap Range $20 - Playmates Classic Collection fits in this category. Funko pops and the like fit into this category. Even playmates realized it didnt' sell well enough to continue the line. Classic & Retro being cancelled. Collectors generally want to relive nostalgia here, but want a piece that is value for money.
The weakness being the proportions and cost.

$40/$50/$60 range (per figure) - this is where it gets a little tricky. NECA vs SH Figuarts wise, they both fill certain void. Something that is well proportioned. I'm going to say the SH Figuarts really did get the proportions pretty good with the "approved colors". While NECA can only target collector's exclusives, but not only got the proportions right, but also the "colors right". One is available en masse, and one is pretty hard to get with a price barrier of $300 easily.

SH figuarts are not cheap, and they provide a lot of options. like head sculpts and accessories. Those that collect them, really like them, and they scale well with other franchises in the sh figuarts line (mostly). While those used to NECA releases are their for their "sought after nature" and "pretty good bang for buck".

$150 - $200+ Range - DreamEx- did a great job with 1/6 scale. Generally selling well. They continue to do more work. I think collector's that buy in this line are in it for the quality and they definitely deliver. Even the third party ones are really great.

Last edited by dragonside; 02-19-2018 at 05:22 PM.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #1566
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I think they are waiting for most other companies to back off at least nostalgic TMNT. Then surprise; Shredder will a reappear. More figures if he sells well. But I have been wrong before.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #1567
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I think they are waiting for most other companies to back off at least nostalgic TMNT. Then surprise; Shredder will a reappear. More figures if he sells well. But I have been wrong before.
You can think that all you want but Bluefin has already stated months ago that it was cancelled.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #1568
TCRI
Hench Mutant

Part of me is glad. They were very expensive toys, especially for that scale. Saved me a few £s.

With the counterfeits on the market, I can't see Shedder or any new ones seeing the light of day for many years, if ever.

Stunning figures though. Wish I could send them back in time to my 8 year old me I probably would have peed myself in awe. When I was a kid, my granddad bought me all my TMHT toys, he would have approved the quality, die cast parts and craftsmanship.

This was a great line of toys.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #1569
clockstomper
Thug

Who knows, they might make a surprise return. We thought the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers figuarts were dead, but they made a surprise return this year (albeit 90% recycled sculpts.)
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #1570
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Are these good?
What do you think these vs Neca 2017 SDCC?

I don't particular like mikey's alternate head....
and combine that with no swirling chuck effect plus all their head and bodies
look the same, it's a turn off to me...

But what do u guys think?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #1571
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Are these good?
What do you think these vs Neca 2017 SDCC?
They're freaking amazing figures. They're straight out of the marketing / promo material. They're super high quality, varied accessories, awesome weight and feel to the them (in part due to the fact that they have freaking diecast in them!).

The downsides to them is that...this is probably it. Yet another case of "here's the 4 turtles, the end" for a line.

The NECA set is a great set too, and has the bonus that the line has more to it, and will probably get more figures in it too. It's an awesome cartoon representation line. The downside to them, compared to the SH Figuarts, is that they're lower quality comparatively. The main problem people had were wonky paint apps.

In hand, the SH Figuarts figures blows away the NECA set, as far as quality, posability, and playability, in my book.

If you're wanting a cartoon line though, NECA wins.
If you want marketing material look, SH Figuarts wins.
If you want something beyond just the turtles, NECA wins.
If you just want the nicest set of 4 TMNT figures that hits that 80s nostalgia, and don't care about anything else, then I'd go with the SH Figuarts set.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #1572
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstomper View Post
Who knows, they might make a surprise return. We thought the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers figuarts were dead, but they made a surprise return this year (albeit 90% recycled sculpts.)
NO-it wont.

I have this info literally from Bluefin the only offcial distributor for Figuarts toys. I confirmed it over a year ago at this point that Shredder is cancelled and you guys still keep bringing up toy fair vids and stuff.

Its gone and NOT coming back. Shredder isnt happening for this line.

Please quit dragging it out. Its painful.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #1573
mikeyatemypizza
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
NO-it wont.

Its gone and NOT coming back. Shredder isnt happening for this line.

Please quit dragging it out. Its painful.
I imagine that Santa and Easter bunny talk with your kids went sorta like this lol.
mikeyatemypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #1574
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Rip SH Shredder
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #1575
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyatemypizza View Post
I imagine that Santa and Easter bunny talk with your kids went sorta like this lol.
I have never been accused of sugar coating things.