The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > Introductions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
colincollects85
Random Punk

Hi all!

I was born in 1985, so obviously the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a huge part of my childhood like many other kids from that era. TMNT themed birthday parties, video games, VHS tapes, and toys galore. I was an only child in my household, but also had step-brothers and sisters that had TMNT merchandise. I had most of the action figures and playsets, with the Technodrome being my all-time favorite toy, which I received for Christmas in 1990 or 1991. It was a great time to be a kid.

I got to see the original line's evolution from start to finish: the reissues of the old figures and clearance items at Kay-Bee toy stores, with the line being successfully destroyed by The Next Mutation figures.

I have been in the process for many years of building up my TMNT collection, mostly for nostalgia purposes. I have MOC figures from 1988 (series 1), 1989 (series 2), and 1990 (series 3). I served 4 years in the military and have been in college for a few years. I am not very wealthy, but I like to relive my childhood a bit by looking at these pieces of history. I am very picky about the condition of the packaging and how they are stored. Everyone does it differently, and that's okay.
Once I complete the first three series, I will decide where to go from there. I have random action figures and playsets from other toy lines, so my collection is hard to manage at times.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Welcome. I grew up with TMNT too (I was born in 1986) and it was a huge part of my childhood too. I liked and still like both the 1987 and 2003 series, though ‘03 is my favourite. Technodrome was my fav toy as well. 90s were a great time to be a kid alright.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

First of all, thank you for your service. You all dont get near the praise you deserve. Second, it was a great time to be a kid and to honor the memory of a certain giraffe we wont ever fully grow up. I must ask, do you have a favorite overall character in the TMNT franchise and also do you have any memory that stands out from your time as a fan?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
First of all, thank you for your service. You all dont get near the praise you deserve. Second, it was a great time to be a kid and to honor the memory of a certain giraffe we wont ever fully grow up. I must ask, do you have a favorite overall character in the TMNT franchise and also do you have any memory that stands out from your time as a fan?
Thank you for the reply. I always liked Shredder for some reason. I gravitated toward the "badguy" figures and playsets. I think because they had cool paint jobs and vivid colors. My fondest memory was getting the Turtlecopter for my birthday, which is 2 days before Christmas. I lost one of the decals after assembling the toy (it fell off) and freaked out about it. My mom and my aunt hunted for it overnight and found it. Woke up in the morning to find the decal in its proper place on the toy.

There are many others: getting the birthday cake with
Michelangelo on it, getting the Technodrome for Christmas, seeing the movie in 1990, etc. You just can't substitute those for anything.

Last edited by colincollects85; 12-29-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Its cool to see that your favorite is not a turtle. The question when presented to new users typicially becomes "who is your favorite Turtle?".

I see that your fandom centers on the '88-'99 line of action figures. Having decided not to get the Rise line leaves me sad. I may just look into expanding the MIP lot that I have from the line I grew up playing with.

Hope you stick around. So many just register and disappear.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I just wanted to say thank you for your service in the military as well. I always liked OT Shredder too. He’s still one of my fav villains. Love the banter he has with Krang.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
colincollects85
Random Punk

Thanks. Shredder was portrayed as a badass, and a formidable opponent in the comics, the early cartoons, and the 1990 film. He sort of became this bumbling idiot in the cartoon, because the writers decided it was more kid-friendly that way, I guess. Once they made Shredder a screw-up, it was just natural to continue that narrative.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by colincollects85 View Post
Thanks. Shredder was portrayed as a badass, and a formidable opponent in the comics, the early cartoons, and the 1990 film. He sort of became this bumbling idiot in the cartoon, because the writers decided it was more kid-friendly that way, I guess. Once they made Shredder a screw-up, it was just natural to continue that narrative.
Never read the comics, but it was a refreshing change after the Fred Wolf cartoon to see Shredder being portrayed as this dangerous villain in the 1990 film and 2003 series on par with villains such as the Joker (I never watched 1990 until recently), making him one of my top 5 villains in general.

Last edited by Wesley; 12-30-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Welcome aboard.

Coming from someone that also got a Michaelangelo birthday cake and came out of the movie theater with my stepmother and both of us thought that the 1990 Henson-style TMNT movie was badass, even I can admit that the late 80's and throughout the 90's were some interesting years in terms of movies, comics, video games, and cartoons.

If you don't mind me asking, which branch of the military did you serve?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Welcome inside the Technodrome.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Thanks for your service and welcome to the TECHNODROME
Old 01-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
Icebot
Foot Elite

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for your service!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Never read the comics.
I think you can easy get access to the early Mirage issues on the Internet.
Closed Thread