The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

What are the chances of seeing the 90s films in 4K?

Also, do any of you think someone like Shout! Factory might do a special edition set at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Not in the near future, unless a 4k scan of the films already exists and it's ready to be used. Those movies aren't even on blu-ray yet here in Italy.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think at the moment it would be nice to get the blu-rays with extra features. 4K is normally reserved for movies that had already had quite a few home video format releases.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

You have to ask yourself if you really want to see them in 4K. Even at 1080p some of the ragged edges of the production design start to show.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
You have to ask yourself if you really want to see them in 4K. Even at 1080p some of the ragged edges of the production design start to show.
Couldn’t agree more. Those suits and sets were not designed to be artificially and digitally sharpened, brightened, and shown on an LED backlit screen. My blu-ray already looks bad and I have to adjust the screen brightness and color balance.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

I'm all for it, if only to encourage the directors-cut, deleted scenes, and new special features.

Not that those features are a given, but it does raise an opportunity.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm all for it, if only to encourage the directors-cut, deleted scenes, and new special features.

Somehow I think it's more likely we'll get extras for the movies before they commit to 4K.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Are you talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Yep, that's it, 4K.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

As much as I want it to happen, Samsung just left the 4K Blu Ray market and there are rumors that LG might, as well. Physical media is in a slumping state, as more and more titles are going out of print. According to Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits, North America is down from around 9 DVD/Blu-Ray manufacturers to just one. If you want this -- or at the very least, if you want special edition Blu Ray with extras -- it's more important than ever to support physical media.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #11
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
As much as I want it to happen, Samsung just left the 4K Blu Ray market and there are rumors that LG might, as well. Physical media is in a slumping state, as more and more titles are going out of print. According to Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits, North America is down from around 9 DVD/Blu-Ray manufacturers to just one. If you want this -- or at the very least, if you want special edition Blu Ray with extras -- it's more important than ever to support physical media.
I suspect that physical movies will follow the path that physical music took with vinyl and cassettes by catering to the nostalgic fan or collector, even though in my opinion vinyl and cassettes are technically inferior to high bit rate uncompressed digital audio. I actually bought a limited edition picture disc vinyl record and a cassette over a year ago during Record Store Day, not so much for listening to them, but as collector's items. With Blu-ray, the benefit is in getting the best video and audio quality available and bonus features like behind the scenes and director's commentary, although it seems like it's becoming less common since the early DVD days on some releases.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #12
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:

This is the only real reason I'd want to see the original movies on Blu Ray or better. Hell, I'd completely happy with a re release on regular dvd if it came with directors cut, behind the scenes, or any special features we've not previously seen.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Man, I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

I am a fiend when it comes to physical releases. Sometimes I even double dip. For instance, I'm buying two versions of Spider-Verse so I can get the 4k version, as well as the steelbook, which only comes for the blu-ray, where I shop. I love physical media.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I got turned off buying Blu-rays when they started making "Unrated" versions available only as digital downloads with a code when you buy the regular Blu-ray.

Infuriating.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I got turned off buying Blu-rays when they started making "Unrated" versions available only as digital downloads with a code when you buy the regular Blu-ray.

Infuriating.
I've never encountered this, but that'd definitely annoy me. \

What truly annoys me is the restrictions when it comes to fast forwarding/skipping certain segments and previews. I feel that once I buy the disc, I should be able to control it 100%.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #16
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I've only seen the "Unrated Version is Digital Only" thing with The Fate of the Furious and the upcoming Crimes of Grindelwald. Neither of those films are really worth abandoning physical media over. (The "Unrated Version" is often a cheap gimmick anyway.)

Also, while Digital is more convenient (in theory), the prices are terrible. The same movie you could find for like $7 at Wal-Mart is $14.99 on Digital. And often, it's a film that comes with special features and a Digital Copy. And while the price of a new film on both physical and digital trends between $14 and $20, apart from the occasional sale, digital prices never permanently drop the way it sensibly does for physical media. Never as swiftly either.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And it's not really a "digital copy," right? You have to stream it, yes? Now you're getting compression.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Also, while Digital is more convenient (in theory), the prices are terrible. The same movie you could find for like $7 at Wal-Mart is $14.99 on Digital. And often, it's a film that comes with special features and a Digital Copy. And while the price of a new film on both physical and digital trends between $14 and $20, apart from the occasional sale, digital prices never permanently drop the way it sensibly does for physical media. Never as swiftly either.
One piece of the market where I think digital has an advantage would be the sale prices for many TV seasons or bundles on VUDU. If you are patient, you can probably get a bunch of HDX episodes for $5-10. That said, TV shows aren't backed up through any sort of shared digital library locker (like Movies Anywhere), and now with UltraViolet going away, those TV shows are vulnerable to VUDU's internal policies and the service's existence.

In the cases of movies, though, it just about always makes better financial sense to get a physical copy, plus the fact that most digital copies don't have as many special features (if any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Infuriating.
Indeed. This was the same sort of practice that many studios started doing with DVDs once BluRays finally became an industry standard. They didn't so much start putting more content on the BluRays, so much as they started shortchanging the DVDs (even the so-called multi-disc "Special Editions").

Quote:
I've never encountered this, but that'd definitely annoy me. \

What truly annoys me is the restrictions when it comes to fast forwarding/skipping certain segments and previews. I feel that once I buy the disc, I should be able to control it 100%.
I'm not aware of any instances of this, but which movies/shows add this layer of annoyance?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #19
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Another weird thing I'm experiencing with Digital as of late is Amazon's quarrels with studios. For the past couple of weeks, all Warner Bros. titles have been unavailable to rent or buy on Amazon Video. The only exceptions I've seen are a pair of animated Batman movies included with their Prime service.

Could you imagine walking into a brick and mortar store and not being able to buy any titles from a MAJOR studio?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Another weird thing I'm experiencing with Digital as of late is Amazon's quarrels with studios. For the past couple of weeks, all Warner Bros. titles have been unavailable to rent or buy on Amazon Video. The only exceptions I've seen are a pair of animated Batman movies included with their Prime service.

Could you imagine walking into a brick and mortar store and not being able to buy any titles from a MAJOR studio?
Haha, yes, my experience that happens from time-to-time with VUDU too. Sometimes movies and shows will no longer be available foe purchase, as was the case with the original TMNT cartoon series going dark sometime in 2017. Even with Disney's Movies Anywhere, I know that at least three major studios (Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate) do not cooperate with the service despite rumors they will eventually join.

It's getting to be as bad as cable companies getting into disputes with studios over pricing and whether to include their channels in their general packages.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 film, 1990s films, original trilogy, steve barron