The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
...then you don't have trouble answering it.
I just don't get why I'm asked this question.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You get asked that often? By whom?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
"Why are you so quiet?"
Hate this stupid question l. What kind of answer do they hope to receive? It's just the way I am, no need to question me about it.
Oh yes, I'm a member of that same club and always hated that question. I don't hear it much at this age fortunately, and it's largely turned into an infrequent and less intrusive observation rather than a question, but heard it a lot throughout school. A shrug and "I just am" was/is my only answer. Like you said, what else do they expect? What if we asked loud mouths why they're so loud? Who should even ask these things?? lol

Quote:
You're in the U.S., a country that's gained a strong interest in religion, and what you said in your bully thread seemed to suggest that people find you approachable... That may be partly it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

I used to get given more flack for being quiet when I was younger. As an adult no one seems to care anymore. If they see you standing/sitting quietly in a corner or leaning against the wall they'll just assume you're not interested in talking to people and they'll just talk to someone else. I mean, it'd be rude for an adult ot come up to another and ask him to open his mouth
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #25
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Why are so many people born with disabilities they never asked for? Bums me out, sometimes.
I can't answer that either, the bigger issue in my view is why isn't society trying to do more to help people?

While some aspects of disability can't be helped by understanding many other problems are due to ignorance and the fact that our society is built for able bodied/neurotypical people.

Quote:
...then you don't have trouble answering it.
Questions Cubed has trouble answering: this thread.

Seriously though, that is a weird and kind of creepy question to be asked. I'm Christian, several people in my family are either vicars or training to be vicars and I'd still be pretty creeped out if someone asked me that.

You just need to wear all black and no one will bother you. lol
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #26
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
No I get it. I get asked the same question as Cubed more often than I like. And it's hard to answer that one without A) sounding weird and/or creepy, or B) having to explain what I DO believe in. The short answer is "yes, sort of" and the longer answer is some variation of "I believe in ALL gods, and here's why". At which point they either try to "save" me/invite me to their church/etc, or they come out of it confused or occasionally genuinely interested or respectful.

Another one is what do I write when people hear that I am a writer. The answer is varied depending on what I'm currently working on but it can be hard to explain the fan fic stuff.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #27
ToTheNines
[sic]

I just say yes but don't engage them.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
I can't answer that either, the bigger issue in my view is why isn't society trying to do more to help people?

While some aspects of disability can't be helped by understanding many other problems are due to ignorance and the fact that our society is built for able bodied/neurotypical people.

Questions Cubed has trouble answering: this thread.

Seriously though, that is a weird and kind of creepy question to be asked. I'm Christian, several people in my family are either vicars or training to be vicars and I'd still be pretty creeped out if someone asked me that.

You just need to wear all black and no one will bother you. lol
Random question (that maybe you can answer): you ever watch The Vicar of Dibley? Hilarious show
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Random question (that maybe you can answer): you ever watch The Vicar of Dibley? Hilarious show
Yes, it's amazing! I think I can do a decent impression of Alice because I lived in Wiltshire for a few years.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #30
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Yes, it's amazing! I think I can do a decent impression of Alice because I lived in Wiltshire for a few years.
I loved that one guy who always said "No, no, no, no, no, no... yes"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I loved that one guy who always said "No, no, no, no, no, no... yes"
Jim, my dad can do an amazing impression of him. XD
Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No I get it. I get asked the same question as Cubed more often than I like. And it's hard to answer that one without A) sounding weird and/or creepy, or B) having to explain what I DO believe in. The short answer is "yes, sort of" and the longer answer is some variation of "I believe in ALL gods, and here's why". At which point they either try to "save" me/invite me to their church/etc, or they come out of it confused or occasionally genuinely interested or respectful.

Another one is what do I write when people hear that I am a writer. The answer is varied depending on what I'm currently working on but it can be hard to explain the fan fic stuff.
They see that you're white so they automatically assume you're Christian and worship Jesus Christ, that's how it is for me.

Around Christmas time every year I get asked, "How are you celebrating Christmas this year?" or "Have you done your Christmas shopping yet?"

And I say I don't necessarily celebrate Christmas and I get stared at dumbfounded.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Jim, my dad can do an amazing impression of him. XD
My mother used to watch that show back in the 90s. I only watched a few episodes including the last one where she gets married. And yes, the "no no no no no... yes!" guy was also my favourite character

Quote:
They see that you're white so they automatically assume you're Christian and worship Jesus Christ, that's how it is for me.

Around Christmas time every year I get asked, "How are you celebrating Christmas this year?" or "Have you done your Christmas shopping yet?"

And I say I don't necessarily celebrate Christmas and I get stared at dumbfounded.
Asking people what they're doing for Christmas is normal, though. I'm not a Christian either nor are m parents but they set up the tree and we've always exchanged gifts. Christmas is barely a religious holiday nowadays. Japan celebrates it and they're definitely not a Christian nation.

Christmas at my home was always about the presents and the tree. Never about Jesus or wtv.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #34
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:

These days Christmas isn't really a purely Christian tradition. It's not even originally Christian in the first place.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

I don't remember the last time someone asked me if I believed in God or wtv. In fact, I'd find it a bit rude and intrusive to be asked that.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #36
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I don't remember the last time someone asked me if I believed in God or wtv. In fact, I'd find it a bit rude and intrusive to be asked that.
Yeah, like it's one thing if you've spoken to someone for a while and then ask out of curiosity, but it's really presumptuous to ask if you believe in 'our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ'.

It pretty much translates to: 'Do you believe in my beliefs? If you don't you're wrong'.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'm not too surprised considering where you're at. I feel for you being in that neck of the woods and having to deal with those questions though.

I'm grateful it isn't something people ask much around here. Likewise, the religious majority tends to assume that everyone else is Christian like them, but I haven't seen too much intrusiveness here in most settings. I'd probably hear it more if I was in the south end of my state where its more conservative.

Though I think Cubed is in NYC? That one kind of surprises me.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

I have that problem a lot too. They assume that I must celebrate the same holidays in the same way they do and are surprised when I tell them "no I celebrate the Solstice which is several days earlier." But I DO put up a tree and do gifts- that tradition is older than "Christmas" itself- even the Romans did it for Saturnalia!

Quote:
These days Christmas isn't really a purely Christian tradition. It's not even originally Christian in the first place.

So true! I try to celebrate the ORIGINAL form of the holiday with "cakes and ale" and the lighting of candles for the promise of light and renewal it represents on the longest night.

Quote:

As do I. It's especially awkward when people hand me those church tract pamphlets and ask if I'd like to visit their church. Why WOULD I when they basically just gave me something that was unasked for and that I have never expressed any interest in?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I'm not too surprised considering where you're at. I feel for you being in that neck of the woods and having to deal with those questions though.

I'm grateful it isn't something people ask much around here. Likewise, the religious majority tends to assume that everyone else is Christian like them, but I haven't seen too much intrusiveness here in most settings. I'd probably hear it more if I was in the south end of my state where its more conservative.

Though I think Cubed is in NYC? That one kind of surprises me.

Yeah it sucks being in a Red state that barely even recognizes mine as a legitimate faith. (They HAVE to because the US govmnt does but they are VERY disrespectful toward it on a local level- I speak from experience on that.) My handfasting ceremony was...interesting to say the least.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #39
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Mr White did.
But then who shot Joe? You're not gonna tell me that he managed to fire 2 shots when White is clearly shot in the chest right after he shoots Joe, right?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Mr. Green with the revolver in the library.