The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #21
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
  1. The Princess and the Frog
  2. Winnie the Pooh (2011)
  3. Bolt
  4. Meet the Robinsons
  5. Chicken Little
  6. Home on the Range
  7. Treasure Planet
  8. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
  9. The Emperor's New Groove
  10. Fantasia 2000

These are 10 of the 21 animated features Disney released in the past 21 years (not counting Pixar). They either did poorly or straight up lost money.

The following movies failed to quadruple their budget, so they didn't do poorly but were not a big success either:
  1. Dinosaur
  2. Lilo & Stitch
  3. Tangled
  4. Wreck-It Ralph
  5. Ralph Breaks the Internet

So out the 21 movies, 6 were really successful, 5 only did moderately well and 10 did poorly. Essentially, Animated Disney movies have a 25% chance of doing really well, 25% chance of moderate success and 50% rick of failure.

I have a problem with this list, though- MOST of those you just listed were made when Disney was on a downslope after the "Renaissance" era. And several of those were the reason WHY. IE, they were either too obscure (Meet the Robinsons, Home on the Range) or too far from their usual formula (Chicken Little, Bolt) Atlantis actually did well enough to get a sequel (dtv), Fantasia 2000 WAS a sequel, and Emperor's New Groove did well enough to have a cartoon series, so, no, not really failures by the standards of the day. Which, btw, were actually partly BEFORE the "make at least half a billion or it's a failure" became a thing.

The "moderately successful" movies you mentioned were in fact considered quite successful for the time, particularly Lilo and Stitch and Wreck It Ralph. Both got sequels, and Lilo even had it's own series as well, owing to its popularity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's CGI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, maybe it's pedantic but I don't lump CGI in with "animation" either, or at the very least I'll use "CGI animation" as a qualifier. I know it's technically "animation" but I feel like it deserves its own categorization.

I kind of feel that it needs to be said, but CG=animation. Just because it's on a screen instead of paper, doesn't make it any less animated. Different tools, but the process is very similar, and ends with the same result. Pictures of imaginary/cartoon people or whatever that move on screen. Disney helped pioneer this way back in the Tron era! (The cg parts were in fact considered animated, as they were done BY THE ANIMATION DEPARTMENT.)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:44 AM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 18,367
It's "animation", sure, in the sense that it's bringing static images into motion. But there's enough to differentiate the two in both presentation and execution that it doesn't feel right to lump "traditional" and "CGI" animation under a blanket term.

"Stop-motion" is technically "animation" as well. But people always, always qualify it as "stop-motion", they don't just call it "animation".

Again, probably pedantic. But still accurate. Especially since there are many people who are fans of one animated medium but can often strongly dislike another. So the qualifier does matter if we're factoring in why certain animated films either were or weren't successful. Styles, trends, and tastes are all important data when looking at the big picture of why some things did better than others, and when.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.