The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #81
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
That's not what I mean. It's just that their humor is far too 87 cartoon humor. It's just masked and hidden because the costumes look so damn good and the dark atmosphere in places makes it seem more real. The film tries to blend the 87 cartoon turtles with the Mirage TMNT and it doesn't work. For tone to be consistent with the atmosphere laid out in this 95 minute film the humor has to be a little less about jokes and a little more organic. How exactly you do that, I'm not sure, but having Michelangelo make jokes and spout off one-liners is a cheat.
I’ve never read the comics, but the mix of campiness and grittiness did work for most TMNT fans (myself included) for this movie and others made around the same time (eg. Batman 1989 and The Mask of Zorro), but it’s not for everyone.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-31-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #82
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I’ve never read the comics, but the mix of campiness and grittiness did work for most people (myself included), but it’s not for everyone. Do you like other superhero movies? Batman 1989, The Mask of Zorro and Iron Man 1 have a similar style and tone.
I like other superheroes and superhero movies. Batman 89 is one of my sacred cows. TMNT 1990 is too. I'm just pointing out inconsistencies that I rarely have noticed before. I just think TMNT 1990 should be re-examined by those who hold it as a perfect turtle movie. If you want camp in your turtles and it works for you or most fans, great... But NO ONE should ever again make the statement that is is true, close or faithful to Mirage. This film borrows things from it, but that doesn't make it faithful to E&L's books. And I know TMNT Mirage fans who only like Mirage and nothing else are very often a**holes because of their loud opinions but let's not let them hold this thing up as some kind of pefect TMNT movie (the way I used to). We need to start showing the warts and getting people to understand. 1990 is a great film. It's not perfect.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #83
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I like other superheroes and superhero movies. Batman 89 is one of my sacred cows. TMNT 1990 is too. I'm just pointing out inconsistencies that I rarely have noticed before. I just think TMNT 1990 should be re-examined by those who hold it as a perfect turtle movie. If you want camp in your turtles and it works for you or most fans, great... But NO ONE should ever again make the statement that is is true, close or faithful to Mirage. This film borrows things from it, but that doesn't make it faithful to E&L's books. And I know TMNT Mirage fans who only like Mirage and nothing else are very often a**holes because of their loud opinions but let's not let them hold this thing up as some kind of pefect TMNT movie (the way I used to). We need to start showing the warts and getting people to understand. 1990 is a great film. It's not perfect.
Fair enough. I do think 1990 gets overhyped a lot on this forum to such an extent it may be a disappointment to some newcomers and people who rewatch it after a very long time. Even Laird said it’s not his ideal Tmnt movie. It’s my favourite one, but it doesn’t have much competition in that regard. The only one that comes close to it is Turtles Forever imo.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-31-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #84
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Fair enough. I do think 1990 gets overhyped a lot on this forum to an extent it may be a disappointment to some newcomers and people who rewatch it after a very long time. Even Laird said it’s not his ideal Tmnt movie. It’s my favourite TMNT movie, but it doesn’t have much competition in that regard. The only one that comes close to it is Turtles Forever imo.
I agree about Turtles Forever. Great finale to 2k3. I am a fan that used to hold 1990 TMNT up, even very recently, as the best TMNT thing EVER. Upon rewatching tho, maybe it still is? I kind of wanna give that honor now to Mirage just for the Micros and early issues (the first dozen or so). My love of TMNT 1990 and TMNT IDW has been tragically tarnished by re-examination. I will forever be blown away by certain scenes in this movie (and certain arcs of IDW: City Fall, Secret History of Foot Clan) but its just hard for me to love them as much as used to for some reason. That said, I'm falling deeper in love with 2k3 upon rewatching it so... IDK what my problem is.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #85
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I agree about Turtles Forever. Great finale to 2k3. I am a fan that used to hold 1990 TMNT up, even very recently, as the best TMNT thing EVER. Upon rewatching tho, maybe it still is? I kind of wanna give that honor now to Mirage just for the Micros and early issues (the first dozen or so). My love of TMNT 1990 and TMNT IDW has been tragically tarnished by re-examination. I will forever be blown away by certain scenes in this movie (and certain arcs of IDW: City Fall, Secret History of Foot Clan) but its just hard for me to love them as much as used to for some reason. That said, I'm falling deeper in love with 2k3 upon rewatching it so... IDK what my problem is.
I’d say 1990 still the best TMNT movie ever made at least. Maybe giving it another go might help? Or try embracing the campy stuff. That’s what I did with II which I used to dislike and didn’t grow up with it either and enjoyed it way more recently by doing that. Or maybe taking a break from TMNT might be a good idea.

I had a similar experience with Batman 1989 when I rewatched it in 2016, but I loved it again upon seeing it again last year by treating it as a campy fun Joker movie. Not the best Batman movie, but it is the most fun to watch of the serious ones.

I’ve found the 2003 series to be the most accessible of all the Tmnt shows, so maybe that’s why you’ve grown to love it so much. It’s my favourite of them all, though, so my bias could be clouding my judgement.

Last edited by Wesley; 06-01-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #86
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, TMNT '90 is still my personal favorite "TMNT thing", simply because it's the only one I don't have to be "in the mood" for. All the shows and comics, I have to be "in the mood for", but TMNT '90 I can put on anytime. But that's me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote