The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Torterra
Foot Soldier

Least Favorite Turtle Voice

Simple question whose your least favorite voice actors for each turtle throughout the series ?
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Raph in 2k3. He sounds like a 50 year old chain smoker instead of a teenager.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just thinking through all the movies and going with what I remember standing out, in TMNT 3 I didn't like the sound of Leo when I first heard him, most of the time I either like or find Leo's voice acceptable/suits Leo, but not here.

Agreed 2k3's Raph sounded like an older heavy smoker , took getting used to but it didn't really irritate me, that would go to 2K3 Mikey.

Outside of those I liked there are a number that I don't have really strong feelings on, judging them on the tone/version they are fine for the role.

Also not included Rise in my reply as I have only seen about 6 eps and also mutation I think I've seen about 4.

Last edited by newfan; 11-08-2020 at 03:13 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Any of the replacement TMNT voices in the old show. Also I know the Turtles Forever were soundalikes but the Mikey one was the worst one. Just typical surfer voice but like... Not 80's MIKEY'S surfer voice.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't care for any of the live action movie voices. At the very least I can't remember them in my mind, not even the ones from the 1990 movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Any of the replacement TMNT voices in the old show. Also I know the Turtles Forever were soundalikes but the Mikey one was the worst one. Just typical surfer voice but like... Not 80's MIKEY'S surfer voice.
I actually liked the one off replacement voices the OT used to have, not so much the ones for the red sky seasons. The Turtles Forever voices were horrible. The second Leonardo in 2012 was not as good as the original.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Torterra
Foot Soldier

For me I didn't really like 2012 Mikey's voice no disrespect to Greg Cipes he's a amazing voice actor. But his Mikey can come off as really annoying especially whenever he yells or screams. I feel like I would probably like the voice better if he done it in a more lower tone instead of high pitch. I get it Michelangelo suppose to be the youngest one so his voice needs to be higher compare to the others. But there have been versions that have a lower voice but still have that childish tone in it.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I had a hard time with the Nick voice cast because Cipes sounds exactly like Beast Boy, sounding child-like and loud instead of a variation of the surfer accent. I did not follow Teen Titans (2003) but I do know the voice and using the same voice for multiple well known characters can be a problem. In addition it was initially difficult hearing Leonardo with Biggs behind the voice knowing the obscene things he is capable of. Also, while I respect Sean Astin it was like having Raphael come out of Donatello and there were two Dons. It is due to the automatic association of Raphael with Rob Paulsen who did his own voice for Donatello. No matter how long the series went on it never changed my association of Raphael with Rob Paulsen, his definitive work and one that left an impression on me as a kid.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Any of the replacement TMNT voices in the old show.
Yeah, I was gonna say someone from Next Mutation, and then this reminded me how much I hate Scooter-Tello episodes of the Fred Wolf series.

Mutagen Monster is the WORST if only for Donatello not being voice by Barry Gordon.

"The chemicals are mixing together to make mu-tuh-gin!" always makes me cringe.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I was gonna say someone from Next Mutation, and then this reminded me how much I hate Scooter-Tello episodes of the Fred Wolf series.

Mutagen Monster is the WORST if only for Donatello not being voice by Barry Gordon.

"The chemicals are mixing together to make mu-tuh-gin!" always makes me cringe.
Interestingly enough Greg Berg was just fine as Bebop. Its like Bebop had the sniffles, but it was decent. Of all the replacement voices for Raphael and Shredder, at least Greg Berg only subbed for six season 3 episodes. Just because Scooter is the technical genius of the group does not mean that the exact same voice should be used for the technical genius of another group. This same line of thinking is what happened with Michelangelo in the 2012 cartoon with Beast Boy.

Was it ever said why Barry missed those half dozen episodes? I am inclined to guess becoming SAG president and the rushing of episodes in both 1989 and 1990 caused scheduling conflicts, but its just a theory.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

I only have problem with Mikey 2k3. I should have problem with 2k3 Raph but his voice feels really fitting for his character design which looks tough and strong and I would argue that Leo and Don should have sounded older but hey that just my general opinion.

2k3 turtles honestly do not look kids or teens. They look like jack up college athletes that just happened to be mutant turtles that knew ninjutsu.

I guess the 2k3 was, like any other TMNT show, a product of it's time because the beef up superhero look was probably a call back from either Bronze age comics or the action shows of the late 90's like the Tick, Spiderman, Freakazoid!, and Spawn.

But going back, the 2k3 Mikey's voice was way too force. I believe the choice for this show should have look for a cocky and over confident sounding voice and not an ADD manic man child that was mentally stuck in the radical 87 era but had just a little too much meth in the bathroom stall.

And that is something I don't understand because if Peter and Kevin hated 87 with wrath of thousand suns then why did Mikey's voice sound so similar to the 87 version and it was only one that did?
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 11-08-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
Cordial Bird
Random Punk

I'm really not a fan of Seth Green as Leo. It's very bland.

Dan Green sounded a little bit too goofy in Turtles Forever.

I do not like Hal Rayle as Raph.... at all.
Cordial Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Likewise the 87 substitutes for the FW show. It just sounded too off.

In a similar way, while Seth Green did well, that really took some getting used to when Leo's voice changed in 2012. But at least that show tried to work in a reason.

lol @ 2003 Raph. I never quite took it as sounding like a smoker, but did always think he sounds too oddly older. Didn't really hate it though.

The 2014 film also in particularity will probably always be getting the side eye from me for that choice of recasting Leo's voice with Knoxville. The screechiness when he tries to raise his voice and the moments when that accent comes out are enough cringe to crack a filling.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Likewise the 87 substitutes for the FW show. It just sounded too off.

In a similar way, while Seth Green did well, that really took some getting used to when Leo's voice changed in 2012. But at least that show tried to work in a reason.

lol @ 2003 Raph. I never quite took it as sounding like a smoker, but did always think he sounds too oddly older. Didn't really hate it though.

The 2014 film also in particularity will probably always be getting the side eye from me for that choice of recasting Leo's voice with Knoxville. The screechiness when he tries to raise his voice and the moments when that accent comes out are enough cringe to crack a filling.
Ah, I had forgotten '14 Leo sounded a little off also.

In '12, Seth was sure very different when I first heard him and I thought I'd have to get used to it but actually I did fairly quickly, I liked him playing the more grown Leo in the later series. (as Biggs pulled off the teen just starting out earlier on) but I think I have said this a few times on here already
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Of all of the 1987 cartoon alternates or replacements the ONLY ONE I had absolute no problem with even if like Greg Berg as Bebop, it was like Shredder had a the sniffles, but I did not mind Bill Martin at all. Maybe because Shredder was given the much needed edge for his last seven appearances, but Bill did a great job!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

I can really only think of one voice I hated. 2014 Raph's voice was just meh to me and this is saying something since I hated all of their voices
Old 11-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #16
MC
Thug

I didn't mind Hal Rayle as a replacement Raphael in the European Vacation episodes. In fact I wouldn't have minded if he'd done Season 10 instead of Michael Gough.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #17
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
I can really only think of one voice I hated. 2014 Raph's voice was just meh to me and this is saying something since I hated all of their voices
Agreed, the constant growling or “Batman voice”. And the weird heavy breathing. The scene at the end when he’s thanking April he just talks regularly and I thought “Why didn’t he speak like that for the entire movie?”
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #18
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I don't like any of them except:

Barry Gordon Donatello
Renae Jacobs
Josh Pais Raphael
Brian Tochi Leo
Robbie Rist Mikey 1990
Wayne Grayson as Mikey 2k3
David McCharen as Saki's voice in 1990 TMNT

that's it...
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I don't like any of them except:

Barry Gordon Donatello
Renae Jacobs
Josh Pais Raphael
Brian Tochi Leo
Robbie Rist Mikey 1990
Wayne Grayson as Mikey 2k3
David McCharen as Saki's voice in 1990 TMNT

that's it...
I also liked Elias Koteas' Casey Jones voice when he was behind the mask... he sounded masculine and tough in that "1980's Street punk" sort of way.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #20
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Raph in 2k3. He sounds like a 50 year old chain smoker instead of a teenager.
Really? I mean OT voice is iconic but the 2003 Raph voice is the best by far. He sounds like what matches up w Ralph’s personality