The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which series did you like most?
Next Mutation 15 31.91%
Platinum Dunes Movies 14 29.79%
Rise of the TMNT 12 25.53%
I liked all 3 or at least 2 of the 3 (specify) 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Which of the "failure" TMNT reboots/series did you like most or least?

There were 3 TMNT series/reboots that bombed, at least in the eyes of fans:

1. Next Mutation. Infamously mostly known for introducing Venus, the show also got canceled in just 1 season of 26 episodes. It was the end of TMNT on TV for years until the 4kids 2k3 series came out.

2. Platinum Dunes Michael Bay Ninja Turtles. Infamously known for giving the Turtles nostrils/noses, Megan Fox April, and for nearly making Shredder a white man named Eric Sachs but then going back on it, this movie series pretty much tanked.

3. Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The most recent TMNT cartoon, it was canceled after only 2 seasons and even had its second season reduced in episode order due to how badly it bombed. There is still a movie for it coming out on netflix next year which will properly wrap up this universe.

Out of all the TMNT series and reboots we've had over 30+ years, these 3 were the biggest bombs by far. Ironically enough all 3 were meant to revive the franchise at time of debut too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I'll hold my nose and say "The Next Mutation" was the least offensive by a fair margin.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be honest I've barely seen anything of Rise so I have to rule that out.

So it's toss up between the Bay TMNT vs The Next Mutation as the 'better' option. Whoda thunk it.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Next Mutation is a guilty pleasure. I can watch it without fast forwarding. I've recently tried to start my nephew on it, though he doesn't have much attention span yet so it may be a rather extended viewing.

While PD Leo won his place in my heart with most versions, I pretty much love him in OotS, but those films still suck and on the rare occasions I've had it on (and it's been quite a while and not at any time this year), I fast forward through some of the stuff (non-TMNT) that I just can't watch anymore. Not being able to enjoy the entirety at all, even for what it is, puts it below Next Mutation. It's easier just to watch the best parts as YouTube clips.

Rise... just doesn't inspire any feeling to wanting to rewatch any of it again, so that's dead last.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I haven't watched enough of Rise to make an accurate judgement so I'll skip it for now. As many here know I love Ninja Turtles The Next Mutation, I can overlook the flaws and it feels very much like other Power Rangers ameritoku shows by Saban.
PD on the other hand I also don't think they're that bad, are they great interpretations? No but they have some good elements, I personally think they got the "family" aspect better than many other versions of the turtles and despite the horrible designs the movie made them work. They're a bit boring but I think overall they're much better than say TMNT 3 and more engaging to watch than TMNT 2007. Are the PD movies mediocre? Sure however are they the worst thing to happen to the turtles? Probably not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Never seen Rise of the TMNT. Never watched the second Platinum Dunes movie.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #7
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I’ll go for Rise even though it’s based of Bayturtles but has more screentime and more appealing personalities.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Shouldn't we count TMNT 2007 a failure? The toys sold well but the movie didn't get a sequel, crippled the studio that made it, IMAGI which it was never able to recover from (we never got that cool G-Force Gatchaman Movie). The movie did give higher ratings the 2k3 show after release but in a way its failure was also the beginning of the death of TMNT during the Laird era. 2k3 got cancelled shortly after, no news or anything to look forward to until Peter Laird sold TMNT.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:00 AM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I am gonna say Next Mutation only because of Phelous's hilarious reviews where he rips them apart.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #10
Roseangelo
Emperor

I definitely enjoyed Next Mutation when it first came out. There are a lot of fun bits to it that get lost in the endless complaining. I think the thing that drives me crazy about the show now, that makes it hard for me to defend it too much, is the damn sound effects added to every bit of movement. Ugh.

The Bay movies have zero redeeming qualities.

I'll give Rise a second chance if it does all get dumped onto Netflix.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Shouldn't we count TMNT 2007 a failure? The toys sold well but the movie didn't get a sequel, crippled the studio that made it, IMAGI which it was never able to recover from (we never got that cool G-Force Gatchaman Movie). The movie did give higher ratings the 2k3 show after release but in a way its failure was also the beginning of the death of TMNT during the Laird era. 2k3 got cancelled shortly after, no news or anything to look forward to until Peter Laird sold TMNT.
The 2007 movie wasn't a failure for what it was. And it wasn't what tanked Imagi. Mirage's general management of the TMNT between then and the sale to Viacom is what tanked the brand during those years.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Next Mutation had a lot of problems and is still pretty bad, but points go to it for doing things different with their new characters. Plus it had the fortune of crossing over with one of the better Power Rangers seasons, even if the team-up wasn't one of it's highlights.

Out of the Shadows is a guilty pleasure of mine, a great tribute to the 80s cartoon. Doesn't try to be anything else.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:52 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Well, Out of the Shadows really pissed me off. I mean it really pissed me off. There was nothing, virtually nothing, in that movie I expected/wanted from TMNT or even a good movie. So I am tempted to vote for Platinum Dunes based purely on the pain in my ass.

On the other hand, while the Next Mutation isn't as rage inducing by any means, it's much more bizarre and the low budget does not help. The editing and writing seriously makes it hard to follow what's even going on half the time. It also has this bizarre part about dubbing live-action face actors who (I assume) were speaking english in the first place. So on an objective level, it is probably worse.

So do I go by pain in my ass or try to stay objective?

As for which one I like better, Rise. The direction might be undesired but it's hardly as incompetent as the other two.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #14
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Couldn’t sit through a whole episode of ROTT, or the OOTS, so the Next Mutation takes the cake for being the best of a bad bunch. Like the worst seasons of Power Rangers, it fits in the “so bad it’s good” category
Old 11-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The 2007 movie wasn't a failure for what it was. And it wasn't what tanked Imagi. Mirage's general management of the TMNT between then and the sale to Viacom is what tanked the brand during those years.
It was Astro Boy that killed Imagi, but they were definitely counting on TMNT being a hit, that did give them a huge blow to them and investors trusted them only with Astro Boy after that and we know how that went. But you're right, they definitely milked the TMNT 2007 brand and designs in toys and games at least for the next years.

I remember you were very critical of the last few Laird years, what would you have done differently? I feel back then we all wanted a little FW influence, but now that Viacom has the franchise and it's all we're getting and I kind of regret it.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Next Mutation and the Bayverse Turtles were my two for this poll. Rise is a product of its time, but it doesn’t feel like TMNT to me (seriously, no Shredder until season 2).

OOTS had a Pizza Hut promotion and the giant Pizza Thrower at Comic Con was awesome. Next Mutation was probably more successful than Bay Turtles and Rise. I remember the turtles themselves (minus Venus) were always sold out at every big box toy store I went to in the late 90s. It was not until the 5 pack sets came to KB Toys in ‘98 did I see variants of the boys in person.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I discount them all. The one I am peripherally aware of is Platinum Dunes because I watched the 1st one. Plunked down cash for a theater seat! Ugh.

Seen clips of Rise and clips of the other... Don't care in the slightest. Not even intelligent enough for a pre-Teen audience in my mind.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
frank_one
Mad Scientist

As a sequel to the original Cartoon and the first three movies, The next Mutation was the most honest and coherent even if horrible. BayTurtles are full of stereotypes, Rise changed random stuff just for the sake of it (like April's race).
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There were 3 TMNT series/reboots that bombed, at least in the eyes of fans:
You forgot the Dreamwave comics.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2007 movie made Imagi a profit and did well for them, it's just that the entire studio went bankrupt a few years later due to poor management. As for the movie itself its harmless, it wasn't anything amazing but it was fine, if forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
You forgot the Dreamwave comics.
Cartoon tie-in comics aren't really distinct enough outside the Archie run. Rise of the TMNT has comics published by IDW as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote