The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #281
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He probably will because he's now the only one that can.
If you're Billy Dee Williams, do you want to do one last Star Wars movie and sit around on your ass? Or do you want your big damn heroes moment and go out like a rockstar? Especially seeing how Mark Hamill got shafted with what happened to Luke?

Were I Billy, I'd be insisting on a big damn heroes moment.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #282
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

It would be nice to see Lando step back into the Millennium Falcon. The ship he once owned. So it would be a nice reunion for his character to reunite with his former ship.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #283
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
It would be nice to see Lando step back into the Millennium Falcon. The ship he once owned. So it would be a nice reunion for his character to reunite with his former ship.
I wish they would blow up that damn ship already. It was sort of neat to see it back for good old nostalgia's sake in 7, but that moment passed.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #284
Leo656
The Franchise

IT'S ALL WE HAVE LEFT, YOU HEATHEN!

.....ehhhh, on second thought, screw it. Just blow it up before they explicitly state that R2 and the Falcon have been f*cking this whole time.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #285
CyberCubed
Overlord

Isn't Lando's robot love interest from Solo plugged into the Falcon as it's computer? Do you think they'll call back to that? Now we know why Lando calls the ship, "she" and "girl."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #286
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Isn't Lando's robot love interest from Solo plugged into the Falcon as it's computer? Do you think they'll call back to that? Now we know why Lando calls the ship, "she" and "girl."
All men do that. Except maybe gay men, I dunno. And hell, some women do it, too.

But it's a naval thing. And naval things have always transferred to aeronautical things.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #287
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Fans have been wanting to know what ever happened to Lando after the original trilogy ended. I'm glad that we will finally have an answer to that question.
Don't worry: he will be a loser, like all other characters from old trilogy and die inglorious death. Because, it certainly will be original and will make a progressive statement.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #288
Leo656
The Franchise

"Let the past die... KILL it, if you have to...

...because for God's sake, these new characters' action figures are f*cking peg-warmers!"

Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #289
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"Let the past die... KILL it, if you have to...

...because for God's sake, these new characters' action figures are f*cking peg-warmers!"
Haha, I walked through a Target toy aisle today and everyone of the giant-size female characters was on clearance. (Actually was kinda tempted to buy a Forces of Destiny Leia)

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #290
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, at mine they just sit there.

Brief, semi-related aside: One aisle up from the girls/MLP aisle is the one where "regular" Star Wars sits with the WWE toys, and I gotta tell ya, the "girl-centric" WWE toys are the biggest dust collectors I've ever seen. I don't mean the regular WWE action figures based on women, like Charlotte or Asuka or whomever; those seem to sell just fine, and in fact, some are more in demand among collectors of wrestling toys because of how few of the women ever get really good figures made. It's always been that way; I remember the earliest Trish Stratus figures, for example, were hot ticket items back in the day.

But those new "Just For Girls"-style WWE toys, with all the glitter and pink packaging? BARF. Nobody wants them, nobody buys them, and they look like crap. Same size as the "regular" female WWE action figures, but the box is pink and the figures have Bratz-looking faces with giant eyes... y'know... so you know it's a girls' toy! I saw a regular Asuka next to one of those "for girls" ones, and the latter was comically bad. Who the f*ck would ever want these? I'm obviously not a girl, but the girls I know who do collect wrestling figures think that's the most pandering crap they've seen in a while, and agree that the actual sculpting is ugly as sin. And forget about those Barbie knockoffs with the brushable hair. I go to Target several times a week and those things don't move an inch.

Point being, I have a strong feeling that if you want to take a traditionally "Boys' Thing", and make it appeal more to girls, "Do A More Girly Version Of It" isn't going to work. I think we've seen and proven that, with WWE and Star Wars being the easy examples.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #291
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
People acting like them killing off Leia is some kind of certainty are delusional.
What else are they gonna do CGI her the whole movie?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #292
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
What else are they gonna do CGI her the whole movie?
That's the one and only thing they've said they won't do.

See: recasting.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #293
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know. Historically, people seem far more accepting of that in prequels; "It was a long time ago, so if you squint, you could almost accept that Harrison Ford and Whatsisname are the same person, kinda sorta maybe." We literally just saw Princess Leia's character five minutes ago in movie time; having her show up suddenly as, I'unno, Meryl Streep, would be super-jarring, and a much tougher sell.

In fact, I think that would be so distracting that it would completely hijack the entire movie; no matter what actually happened within the movie itself, all anyone would want to talk about is Leia's recasting and whether it "worked" or didn't, and it would dominate the entire conversation at the expense of all else. I mean, we've seen it before, fairly recently. I haven't gotten around to seeing Rogue One yet, and thus, don't know a ton about it outside of the basics. I definitely know that there's a CGI Peter Cushing and CGI Young Carrie Fisher, and that it's either the Coolest or Creepiest thing ever, but I assume that must be the most important thing in the movie on account of that's what 90% of the reviews and articles chose to focus on.

If they do go back on their word and resurrect Leia with CGI - people in Hollywood flat-out lie all the time; if anything, someone saying "We Absolutely Will Not Do _________" probably means they're halfway done doing exactly that - it would also be really distracting and dominate the conversation, but it would be slightly less impactful than a full recast, on account of at least there'd be some bit of visual continuity maintained.

The simplest explanation is usually correct. My vote is, "Off-screen in-between-movies death, accompanied by an eye-rolling text crawl explanation, followed by characters stopping every 5 minutes to monologue about how awesome and brave Leia was, making the whole thing morbid and awkward as hell."

That's what we're getting, like it or not. It's literally the only decision they could make that isn't guaranteed to overpower the entire affair. It's still an ass solution, but this is what they get for having such pitiful foresight. They could have, and should have, created more of a focus around Luke - seeing as how he was the impetus for this entire "Star Wars" thing, and thus, kind of supposed to be an important guy in the big scheme of things - and built along the way to a more organic passing-of-the-torch to Rey, having it all culminate in the third film, and then everything would be fine. They know better, though.

Last edited by Leo656; 07-11-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #294
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have to stick by my guns. "We" want them to kill off Leia between movies because without Fisher, Leia is dead to "us"... while nobody seems to ever be bothering to ask the question: "What would Carrie Fisher want?"

I guarantee you it isn't, "Oh, I died? Well kill my character off immediately!"

I'd imagine she'd want Leia to continue triumphantly as long as possible, not to be thrown into the casket with her. That's awful.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #295
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I have to stick by my guns. "We" want them to kill off Leia between movies because without Fisher, Leia is dead to "us"... while nobody seems to ever be bothering to ask the question: "What would Carrie Fisher want?"

I guarantee you it isn't, "Oh, I died? Well kill my character off immediately!"

I'd imagine she'd want Leia to continue triumphantly as long as possible, not to be thrown into the casket with her. That's awful.
The only way Fisher would be okay with it is if Lando tells Rey that he found General Leia dead in the moonlight, strangled with her own bra.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #296
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
nobody seems to ever be bothering to ask the question: "What would Carrie Fisher want?"
More cocaine, indubitably.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #297
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
More cocaine, indubitably.
Dammit, and I thought I would be winning the punchline war today.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #298
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Nah, more prozac.
Given that she was interred in a capsule of the same name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The only way Fisher would be okay with it is if Lando tells Rey that he found General Leia dead in the moonlight, strangled with her own bra.
<3
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #299
sdp
Megan Fox = April

When Carrie died they said they wouldn't kill Leia, then the baseless rumors of CG Leia arose in mainstream geek "culture" blogs and they condemned it in their daily blog rounds to get clicks. To avoid any bad press Lucasfilm "proudly" announced that they wouldn't use a CG Leia. They might also be scared to recast because of Solo. So yeah, who knows what they're going to do.

The outrage over Leia being CG was so dumb and it would've been the best option. Carrie Fisher wouldn't have given a damn, not to mention she had already allowed her likeness to be used for Rogue One.

The second best option would've been to kill her in TLJ, they had already filmed her death and her force floating in space was ridiculous, it would've saved us that scene. The rest of the movie could've been altered easily and sure we would've missed Luke seeing Leia but we never got Luke and Han either and it could've been a deleted scene. Luke/Leia dying would've been more impact full.

As poorly as Han/Luke were handled at least they had cool moments and I enjoyed every scene they were in, Leia on the other hand was always boring and I don't want to see more General Leia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
But, there is no underwear in space.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #300
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't know, I mean I see your point but to kill Leia off too, soon after Carrie died..I already found it sad watching and knowing she would not be in the next....and in the same movie as Luke dying.... I wonder if they will give much away on what they plan to do before the movie.

I also want to know what they had planned for the next movie before she died.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote