The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
pferreira
Foot Elite

Voice Actor Discovery From FW Series

Apologies if what I'm about to say is common knowledge. I finally got around to watching the John Carpenter movie Prince of Darkness. It's a good movie, quite recommended. When I began watching the credits an actor name stuck out: Thom Bray who plays the character of Etchison in the movie. The name rang a bell so I looked him up and found out he's the voice of Howie (Irma's musical boyfriend) in those two episodes he did of TMNT. I suppose he partly got the part because he can sing:

Anyway Thom's character Etchison is the first character to die in Prince of Darkness, killed with the sharp end of a bicycle by Alice Cooper of all people!

Here's a picture, I won't insert an image due to it's violence but here's a link:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPq_AAf7pE...rincedeath.jpg

Amazing seeing voice actors from TMNT turn up in 80s films and TV shows. It's like when I saw Rob Paulsen appear in the film Warlock.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
dragonside
Hench Mutant

actually i really enjoyed the episodes with this guest star.

However, it was kind of "is this something i should know" feeling or a they are referencing something that i don't get.

Thanks for closing the loop on this one.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Howie was annoying as hell, but his first episode has a cool brief fight between Shredder and Donatello, so therefore I've never skipped it in my several FW toon rewatches due to that particular fight. It's a shame it's in such an episode, since good actual fights were rare in the FW series. I guess there's no such a thing as a free lunch...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Teenager in Love

He at least did a funny parody of Teenager in Love.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
actually i really enjoyed the episodes with this guest star.

However, it was kind of "is this something i should know" feeling or a they are referencing something that i don't get.

Thanks for closing the loop on this one.
Thom Bray can sing in real life so I guess that played a part in him getting the role. He sure got a more dignified time on TMNT than on Prince of Darkness! To be fair though just how many actors can say they've been killed on screen by Alice Cooper.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #6
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
since good actual fights were rare in the FW series.
The turtles were extremely popular during seasons 3–5 (1989–1991), but also extremely watced by parents and other movements thinking it was too violent. That was the worst part of their popularity.

During seaons 6–7, may children's TMNT interest declined and less parents cared, allowing the action to slowly return again. Animated Batman began in 1992, allowing seasons 8–10 (Red Sky) of TMNT to be produced.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
During seaons 6–7, may children's TMNT interest declined and less parents cared, allowing the action to slowly return again. Animated Batman began in 1992, allowing seasons 8–10 (Red Sky) of TMNT to be produced.
The Batman series ironically got away with far more than the FW series did.

To be fair, and I hate to say this, but parents to some extent had a point. Wsan't there a thing about kids lifting sewer manhole covers to find the Turtles?I also remember Townsend Coleman relating a story in a podcast about how his kid one day went at Townsend's wife with a knife yelling "Turtle Power". Kids are impressionable at a young age.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The Batman series ironically got away with far more than the FW series did.

To be fair, and I hate to say this, but parents to some extent had a point. Wsan't there a thing about kids lifting sewer manhole covers to find the Turtles?I also remember Townsend Coleman relating a story in a podcast about how his kid one day went at Townsend's wife with a knife yelling "Turtle Power". Kids are impressionable at a young age.
But it is a parents' response, not a government response.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But it is a parents' response, not a government response.
Yes but the parents were the ones complaining and it was the government in turn that reacted to them. Plus not sure about you but any person doesn't want a knife waved around at them, especially by kids who think this is a game.