The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Filespit
Hench Mutant

I'd absolutely love to see an Usagi movie, but it's probably never gonna happen. If it were though, this is what I'd hope for;

1. Sakai needs to have FULL control.

2. The movie HAS to be Rated R. There is no way Usagi would work as an ordinary PG-13 movie. The comic may look cartoonish, but is occasionally extremely brutal with decapitations all over the place. If an Usagi movie is to catch the interest of the general public and people who are unfamiliar with Usagi (which is pretty much everyone except for us TMNT fans) it has to stand out from the other comic book movies, and the only way for it to do so is to stay true to the source material.

3. It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.

4. It must be set in the same feudal time period as the comics, and NOT be some kind of time travel story where Usagi ends up in our time or whatever.

5. Sakai should have FULL control.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

1. Yep.

2. Nope. I wouldn't by any means call UY brutal. People get killed a lot, but it's never gratuitous, glamorized, or dwelled upon. You can smoothly lop somebody's head off in a PG-13 film, I think. Do it by silhouette or off-screen, even. How the violence is depicted is not really integral. & it's not like there's much in the way of romance or swearing, either. So I'm not so sure that's necessary.

3. That makes no sense.

4/5. Naturally.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #23
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'd rather see a animated movie with the comic's art style, I don't see any appeal for a LA movie when the entire character cast consists of cartoon animals.

If not animated in the style of the comic, maybe a cgi movie akin to Zootopia or Kung-Fu Panda in visuals.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'd rather see a animated movie with the comic's art style, I don't see any appeal for a LA movie when the entire character cast consists of cartoon animals.

If not animated in the style of the comic, maybe a cgi movie akin to Zootopia or Kung-Fu Panda in visuals.
This. There would be way too much time, effort and money wasted just to make the CGI designs look good. It just doesn't translate well to live action and many parents are going to get the same rude awakening they did when they took their kids to see Deadpool.

Animated or CGI cartoon animated is the way to go for this one.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filespit View Post
I'd absolutely love to see an Usagi movie, but it's probably never gonna happen. If it were though, this is what I'd hope for;

1. Sakai needs to have FULL control.

2. The movie HAS to be Rated R. There is no way Usagi would work as an ordinary PG-13 movie. The comic may look cartoonish, but is occasionally extremely brutal with decapitations all over the place. If an Usagi movie is to catch the interest of the general public and people who are unfamiliar with Usagi (which is pretty much everyone except for us TMNT fans) it has to stand out from the other comic book movies, and the only way for it to do so is to stay true to the source material.

3. It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.

4. It must be set in the same feudal time period as the comics, and NOT be some kind of time travel story where Usagi ends up in our time or whatever.

5. Sakai should have FULL control.
And recorded only in Japan, I guess.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #26
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
This. There would be way too much time, effort and money wasted just to make the CGI designs look good. It just doesn't translate well to live action and many parents are going to get the same rude awakening they did when they took their kids to see Deadpool.

Animated or CGI cartoon animated is the way to go for this one.
An animated Usagi would just be so awesome. That's the way I would prefer to see it as well. Actually the stop motion version on youtube from a few years ago was great too. I wouldn't even mind it being that way if they could make the action smooth enough. Although, to me, as great as the action is in Usagi it's still all about the storytelling. As long as the story was awesome I could live with not having over the top action.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I'd love to see an animated Usagi movie. Provided Stan be in charge of the whole thing, of course.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You can smoothly lop somebody's head off in a PG-13 film, I think.
No you can't. Unless they're wearing a helmet that completely covers their face.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #29
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Bad news, it seems that the Usagi stop motion feature has been kiboshed.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #30
TMNTInsighter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

I'll take that too. It'd definitely be great for Usagi to have his own movie.
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:11 AM   #31
Warboss74
Foot Soldier

I think you do a CGI film or film series. What rating would it get if you went with the skull bubbles for deaths like the comics? Could you squeeze PG out of it or would it have to be PG-13? I don't think it would have to be rated R.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 AM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filespit View Post
It should be shot completely in japanese, and then dubbed to english. That would also make it stand out a lot more.
Why not just use subtitles?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why not just use subtitles?
What?! You expect the ordinary cinema folk to read...subtitles?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #34
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What?! You expect the ordinary cinema folk to read...subtitles?
I prefer subtitles instead of dubbing.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #35
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I would take an animated Usagi film. A live action one wouldn't work for a number of reasons. The chief among them is no one would give it the budget it needs. Also, no one would give it the rating it needs and no studio in their right mind would make a live action film about a samurai rabbit. That means the animated film would need to be Japanese as well because we don't really do R-rated animated movies and any Amercian studio would push for it to be a kids movie.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #36
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That means the animated film would need to be Japanese as well because we don't really do R-rated animated movies and any Amercian studio would push for it to be a kids movie.
A Japanese anime sounds great! Japan seems to have left the prejudice that all comics and animated films or TV-series are mainly produced for children.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #37
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Except that now we have Sausage Party. An R rated cgi animated film that was fairly successful. It could be done.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I prefer subtitles instead of dubbing.
So do I. Makes trying to watch the live action Asterix films a pain since the English dub is more readily available.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #39
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I'd rather see hand-drawn animation or cel-shaded CGI than regular textured CGI like Kung-Fu Panda (or stop-motion), but that look could still work if the writing was good.

They could probably get away with PG-13, and even that is a rarity for US animation.

It would probably have to be an indie film (or Japanese), because the mainstream American studios would probably try to turn it into a Kung-Fu Panda-esque family film, but who knows. They might be willing to take a chance.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #40
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I haven't read the comics,

however, I actually really liked the portrayal of usagi in the 2003 series. He was just so interesting to watch.

So if Stan Sakai had full control, and it was in the 4kids style. I would LOVE to see that.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote