The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #21
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Genocide even took WW's whip and, like, threaded it through its own body to make it even more powerful.
Marston would have liked it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #22
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I am not particularly well-versed in the comic books, but I've heard about some characters in passing and almost all of those gals and guys posted by Andrew are unknown to me. Which of course doesn't mean that it is how for everyone else.
I think even most comic fans don't know a lot about her rogues, so it's not your fault. I've always paid more attention to DC and, Ares aside for obvious reasons, I could only really name Circe, Cheetah, Veronica Cale and Silver Swan off the top of my head. And Genocide sometimes, though I'd spaced her until Andrew brought her up.

I looked up a lot of the rogues mentioned, as well as other ones, and it seems a lot of her enemies were left behind in the Silver Age or just never appeared much beyond first appearances or revamps. She's got a long list of minor villains, suggesting a lot were created for her, but surprisingly few stuck.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be fair most villains for the non-Batman/Superman characters are a blank to me.

I know Flash's because they appear often like Grodd, Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, Reverse Flash, but I don't know too many others. From Green Lantern I just know Sinestro, and uh...? I know they help out with all other villains like Despero, Darkseid's forces, the Reach, etc.

The other thing is when they're in the Justice League all the villains generally become Superman villains since they fight everyone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #24
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
From Green Lantern I just know Sinestro, and uh...? I know they help out with all other villains like Despero, Darkseid's forces, the Reach, etc.=
A Star Sapphire and the Manhunters were in JLU, so you might remember those GL villains. Other than that he has Hector Hammond, Black Hand, Nekron and some villains occasionally on loan from another hero like Mongul. He has some memorable rogues, but they don't show up much outside GL's books, probably because they're all space based and everyone else in the DCU is on Earth.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sinestro
Krona
Nekron
Black Hand
Sonar
Sonar II
Tattooed Man
The Shark
Qwardians
Mongul
Mongul II
Cyborg Superman
Atrocitus
Larfleeze
Star Sapphire
The Predator
Appa Ali Apsa
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #26
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Were those just off the top of your head? Damn. You really know your Green Lantern. I didn't realize Tattooed Man was a GL villain, but then I'm only familiar with the more recent one that Grant Morrison used in Final Crisis.

I completely spaced Krona. I should have remembered him.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Were those just off the top of your head? Damn. You really know your Green Lantern. I didn't realize Tattooed Man was a GL villain, but then I'm only familiar with the more recent one that Grant Morrison used in Final Crisis.

I completely spaced Krona. I should have remembered him.
Not tooting my own horn but I own all Green Lantern comics ever. Even golden age.

I also own www.thegreenlanterncorps.com

Shame on me for not mentioning Parallax. Or Hal Jordan. They actually should have left him a villain.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 AM   #28
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Not tooting my own horn but I own all Green Lantern comics ever. Even golden age.

Shame on me for not mentioning Parallax. Or Hal Jordan. They actually should have left him a villain.
Did you liked recent Green Lantern movie?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Did you liked recent Green Lantern movie?
I enjoyed it. I mean, it was far from great and had serious problems but I don't think it deserved even half of the crap it got. At a certain point it just became fashionable to hate on the movie and that was that.

From a GL fan standpoint, though, yikes. They make Krona and Parallax, both UBER and enormous GL villains from huge and multiple giant storylines in the comics with generations worth of fans... into entirely different characters and then burn them both at the same time? Remove Hal's entire personality and replace it with Kyle's? Double yikes. The obviously Geoff Johns-pushed "Look! You're gonna get my Sinestro Corps War in the sequel!!" cliffhanger was lame.

That said, I don't feel like the movie did so much damage that it needed to be swept under the rug. The movie was reasonably entertaining. The Corps behaved like the Corps. Kilowog was great (and I think one of the last performances of any kind of Michael Clarke Duncan). The constructs seemed sound. Everything on Oa was great. Sinestro was great. A sequel could have massaged the things that didn't work in this one and moved forward. Fun fact: the guy that played Tom "Pieface" Kalmaku in this movie is the director of Thor: Ragnarok.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to seeing Green Lantern integrated with Man of Steel and so on. There is no reason they shouldn't have and even less reason they shouldn't have included a GL in their Justice League movie (which absolutely deserved to fail). Chickenshits.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-02-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #30
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Sinestro
Krona
Nekron
Black Hand
Sonar
Sonar II
Tattooed Man
The Shark
Qwardians
Mongul
Mongul II
Cyborg Superman
Atrocitus
Larfleeze
Star Sapphire
The Predator
Appa Ali Apsa
I only knew 4.

And most of those where from the Animated JL series.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #31
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I just can't get into Wonder Woman and Thor, I dislike the concept of classical greek/norse gods in the DC/Marvel universe, doesn't mesh well. I've enjoyed plenty of great stories from them but I'd rather they not exist.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #32
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I just can't get into Wonder Woman and Thor, I dislike the concept of classical greek/norse gods in the DC/Marvel universe, doesn't mesh well. I've enjoyed plenty of great stories from them but I'd rather they not exist.
what I find odd, is a scene in the Justice League animated series. Wonder Woman is visited by the greek god of speed, which is basically the original flash. kidn of weird having two speedsters like that, one immortal .

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
what I find odd, is a scene in the Justice League animated series. Wonder Woman is visited by the greek god of speed, which is basically the original flash. kidn of weird having two speedsters like that, one immortal .
I really didn't like Grant Morrison revealing that Black Flash is exactly the same character as the Black Racer from the New Gods. I don't think anyone ever acknowledged that afterward, though.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I enjoyed it. I mean, it was far from great and had serious problems but I don't think it deserved even half of the crap it got. At a certain point it just became fashionable to hate on the movie and that was that.
When I finally watched it, I had the same reaction (but as a non-GL fan). It's nothing special, but it's passable. Not sure why everybody hated it. The audience has had love for far worse movies in the recent past.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #35
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I went into that movie really wanting to like it, but it didn't work for me.
Ryan Reynolds tried really hard, but...it was too much flash, and no where near enough bang.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #36
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:

That's a lot of Green Lantern. Favorite DC hero, I take it? I like the Lanterns, but I'm not a regular reader. I've read the different series off and on since Kyle was still the main one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I used to feel that way, but I've grown to like Thor a lot and have started warming up to Wonder Woman. I think it helps that, in Thors case, a lot of those gods or supporting characters are pretty great in their own right/ Marvels version of Hercules helps a lot too. But I can understand people who just don't want to deal with riffs on Norse and Greek mythology in their superheroes, because I was kind of like that too.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That's a lot of Green Lantern. Favorite DC hero, I take it? I like the Lanterns, but I'm not a regular reader. I've read the different series off and on since Kyle was still the main one.
Kyle Rayner's my guy. Too bad Geoff Johns has made a career out of marginalizing him after he frat boyed his way into the upper echelons of DC.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #38
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
I dunno... I've read a lot of Cheetah appearances and there's nothing in Wiig's resume that would lead me to believe she's remotely suited for "ferocious, bloodthirsty femme fatale with muscles."
If you watch Welcome to me, she's incredible. That crazy seems to line up exactly with this crazy:

From Wikipedia:

The first woman to become the Cheetah, in Wonder Woman #6 (October 1943), is Priscilla Rich, a 1940s-era blonde Washington, D.C. debutante of aristocratic upbringing who also has an overwhelming inferiority complex and suffers from a split personality and self-importance. After being eclipsed by Wonder Woman at a charity event and failing to kill her during an escapology act, Priscilla retreats to her room and collapses before her makeup mirror. There she sees an image of a woman dressed like a cheetah. "Horrors!" she cries, as she gazes at her evil inner-self for the first time. "Don't you know me?" replies the reflection. "I am the REAL you—the Cheetah—a treacherous, relentless huntress!" The image commands her to fashion a Cheetah costume from a cheetah-skin rug. "From now on," intones the reflection, "when I command you, you shall go forth dressed like your TRUE self and do as I command you..." The Cheetah frames Wonder Woman for a robbery by hiding the money in her apartment and tipping off the police, then sets fire to a warehouse Wonder Woman is in, although Wonder Woman escapes. She is presumed dead, but survives thanks to her fireproof costume.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #39
Sumac
Banned

They can make her in CGI, if they need battle scenes (which most likely will be the case anyway).
Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #40
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

DC Rebirth/current comic book era Barbara Minerva seems like a great fit for someone like Wiig--a socially awkward intellectual and adventurer.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote