Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #821
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

>Splinter plays a much lesser role
>There is no Shredder in this series.
>Pizza is literally the turtles’ biggest weakness now.

What's next? A tmnt Show without the Turtles?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #822
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this already is a show without the Turtles.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #823
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I give it a year. Maybe two. Lord knows a break will probably have a hand in writers getting their sh*t together while they figure out that going to the lowest denominator isn't the way to go.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #824
CyberCubed
Overlord

People overrreacting over something that might be fake. At least wait for some confirmation.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #825
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Everyone is treating this as though the "leak" is confirmed, as far as I know it isn't so there's no reason to freak out yet.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #826
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

That logo is garbage, but I kinda like the Turtle design

You guys do remember that this is a show for children, right? Kids who will beg their parents to buy them toys is the main demographic being targeted. It still looks better than the last show

I don't know if TMNT will ever have a show geared towards adults, but at least the shows aimed at children can get new, younger generations interested in the franchise, so that later they can explore the original content and other previous iterations
Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM   #827
neatoman
Emperor

Just gonna add an archive link here before the thread is deleted.
https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/94297466/#94297466

Anyway, I was posting from my phone before and did have time to write much and have a lot things to say about this. Let's start with the content of the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous 07/31/17(Mon)14:23:21 No.94297466
>2D animation, said to be in the vein of Teen Titans.
>More humor oriented than the last one, no clue to what extent.
>The turtles are going to have some sort of mystical powers. Think Ninja Tribunal from the 4kids series. From what I understand, it ties into their origin somehow, which is supposedly pretty different. They have stones in their belts that help them channel their energy. Probably a toy gimmick.
>The turtle designs are like Mirage meets the Michael Bay movies. Not my ideal versions to pull from but they look decent. They all look pretty similar except for Donny's goggles, Leo's got some armor, Raph has the du-rag like in the new movies, & Michelangelo's got some "cool" accessories.
>Splinter plays a much lesser role, didn't see his design.
>April is a teenager again, looks a bit like the current version but with really puffy pigtails and she's sorta chubby. And she has a sword.
>There is no Shredder in this series. Not sure if that's just at first or a permanent thing.
>Pizza is literally the turtles' biggest weakness now. They have to deal with how it negatively affects their focus and physical condition. Hate this idea. Pizza is a staple but it shouldn't be anything more than an occasional gag.
>No word on voice cast yet.
>There will be teasers at New York Comic Con, don't think they plan to reveal the actual designs until Toy Fair next year. Oops!
This is not what I want from TMNT and I don't think it seems like a good direction for TMNT as a whole, it could damage the chances of a proper show in the future and that's not even the worst case scenario. From the looks of it they're out to copy Teen Titans GO in hopes of duplicating it's success, not to mention that elements of some rather negatively received movies will make it into the show. It looks like the most hollow and commitee directed shell of a show Viacom could have made, what some of us has feared for years.

However, this is my response to a list of elements and elements of amibigious validitiy at that, not actual material. More importantly, this is in relation to how I feel about older TMNT material, not in how I would react to this if I was unfamiliar with what it's based on.

Objectively speaking, assuming this is real and without bringing up previous TMNT, what is this show about?
It's a 2D animated children's comedy show using a chibi artstyle. It's about four mutant turtles with magic ninja powers, a chubby teenage girl with a sword and their rat teacher. The mutant turtles seem to have a problem with eating pizza.
That's it, that is what we know. Does it sound like it's an automatically awful show in and of itself? Not really, it doesn't sound like great foundation but I don't think it sounds like something that's going to kill it.

As for what I think about the changes, setting my fears of corporate trash aside, mostly neutral. My fears are more in what it'll do to the future of TMNT, not the show itself.
  1. I like the return to 2D, assuming they meant Teen Titans GO rather than Teen Titans, that's not so great but I don't really hate TTGO to be honest.
  2. I'm a little worried about making this a straight up comedy, I don't want that but I'll keep an open mind as much as I can.
  3. "Mystical powers", not liking this idea, sounds like it's just there for a gimmick and it worries me. As for it tying into the origin, I assume they're going for the reincarnation origin (minus the decapitation).
  4. The designs look... Fine for what they're going for honestly. If they're going for comedy I would probably do something like this. I like that the "beaked" look and the blank eyes are back, so there's at least that, looks better than just slapping Mickey Mouse faces on the Mirage turtles like they did during the FW era. At least this looks like a properly cutiefied version of these characters.
  5. Splinter having a smaller role is something I'm neutral about, don't get why they would do that though.
  6. "Chubby teenage April with giant pigtails and a sword"? Uhm, OK? So like a combination of 2007 April and 2012 April who looks like she needs to excercise? Odd.
  7. No Shredder is something I'm fine with, he wasn't even that important in Mirage so I don't see why he has to be there. Still, why though?
  8. Pizza as Kryptonite sounds pretty funny, the idea of it actually having a negative impact is both grounded in reality and seems almost cathartic from a metaperspective, even it's still there as an odd obsession.

Overall I'd say my opinion is "But why though?" so far, we'll see in a few months if any of this is actually real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I hate it too.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #828
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
You guys do remember that this is a show for children, right?
Very true. The last 3 cartoons weren't made for me, what would make me think the new one would be? Nothing. I don't.

What Nick does with their little kids' fluff doesn't really concern or bother me either way. Forcing IDW to tie one arm behind their back and going and tossing fetid "TMNT" movies out there... that kind of stuff is different. That is actually blood boiling stuff.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #829
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Looking at it, it seems to be peak "Worst of 2010's design". Especially the logo.

I think that if I presented that to one of my instructors, they would pick something else or make me do another page of thumbnails.

And yeah, the fact that they're doing these two/three things at once is a little problematic.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #830
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I like the design and the details that I don't like I was already expecting. Wasn't the last official quote from this show "It'll be radically different", so no Shredder, their Mystic origin, little Splinter and chubby April all seem to be. Team up might've gotten so many shorts since it was what they wanted, that one has a chubby April too.

4chan leaks a bunch of stuff but it's also full of fake leaks for this very reason, so it really is 50/50, though I consider them better than some of the "legit" websites that leak stuff. I think Teen Titans Go is awesome.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #831
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pizza being the Turtles kyprtonite is the first clue this is fake. Also no Shredder makes it obvious too. He's way too marketable for kids shows.

You guys fell for the typical 4chan troll post.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #832
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post

>Splinter plays a much lesser role
>There is no Shredder in this series.
>Pizza is literally the turtles’ biggest weakness now.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...x349-71815.jpg

Like a spin-off show about other characters?
Hahahaha!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #833
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Like a spin-off show about other characters?
It was a rhetorical question with some sarcasm. Anyway they could do that sometime (I liked the idea of Teenage Mecha Ninja Turtles Summer Short )
Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #834
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
execs don't have to think like that anymore. they'll keep on trying terrible stuff until something terrible that requires no effort sticks with the people who will just accept any old thing.
I think it's safe to say they think in terms of "what sells?".

I'm Not a huge advocate for the current toon but I did enjoy the first season and I think it represents the franchise fairly well. If the new show takes away all the ninjas, fun choreography, and moody lighting and performs worse, it will be noticed by those in charge.

Combine that with the declining performance in the Platinum Dunes films. Yes, both were terrible, but here we also saw box office/toy sale performance suffer when they tried to take it in a lighter, kid-friendly direction.

Those two factors combined may lead to some clear-cut results as to what works and what doesn't for tmnt. Now, im not saying we're on our way to a perfect tmnt product after this, but at this point, we can only take baby steps towards a positive future for tmnt.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #835
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Steven Universe is popular = Ninja Turtles with magical gems
Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #836
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"Yep, that's the only thing from Steven Universe that we can exploit. Magic Gems"
"But Steven Universe also has--"
"MAGIC GEMS"
Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #837
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Kevin, help.

Your boys need an intervention. It's time to sit them down and be the concerned parent over the path they are choosing in life. (Granted someone helped put them in that direction, but that can be a separate discussion for another time...)
kevin would be the first to think this is an awesome idea, and compare it to something else awesome in order to start selling it to the fans.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #838
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Did they actually put pizza in the logo? Am I seeing things? Also, is that supposed to be a TCRI cannister in the lower right corner, or Donnie's used Fleshlight?

the meltdown has begun. this isn't going to be pretty ...

Pizza? is THAT what it was supposed to be? It was so badly rendered I couldn't tell.

When you want to go protesting in the streets, i'll join you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
Everyone is treating this as though the "leak" is confirmed, as far as I know it isn't so there's no reason to freak out yet.
remember the platinum dunes costume leak?

I'll uh just leave that right there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Steven Universe is popular = Ninja Turtles with magical gems
didn't work out well for thundercats.

Last edited by Vegita-San; 07-31-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #839
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
remember the platinum dunes costume leak?

I'll uh just leave that right there
Remember the 2014 movie trailer leak that someone said they saw, that turned out to be fake too.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #840
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

...Yes...yes that is a pizza.

Buckle in guys, we're in for the Last Mutation/Coming Out of Our Shells of this generation. It seems like the "LUL GUYZ WE LIEK PIZZA" thing comes to its full head when they're running out of ideas...

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters