The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
AquaParade
Banned

The Power of TMNT

Many of us here might believe, that in the current state of pop-culture, while TMNT are widely recognized, they are being severely underserved. They've yet to get the same type of treatment and attention that has been lathered upon our favorite Marvel, DC. Etc characters, despite quality efforts here and there, throughout the years.

I believe the fans and the potential are out there. They just need new ownership, or for Viacom to take the franchise a bit more seriously. I sincerely think the turtles could take in just as much cash and love as any other comic book franchise today, if given the same proper care.

Wanted to share a video, which to me, is an example of how much love there truly is for TMNT in this world. When I watch this, I actually get a little fuzzy inside, because it reminds me how much the world of tmnt resonates with people, even if adult fans haven't been thrown a bone in ages. To me, this video is proof.

Injustice 2 video game - TMNT character DLC announcement:

https://youtu.be/WMs2joIGyoU

Many characters are revealed in this video, but something special happens when the turtles appear.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Can't watch the video, but I agree with you in spirit.

But the game was over when we collectively relented to accepting anything with a TMNT sticker on it, so long as the "Pizza" and "Cowabunga" boxes were checked.

There's a ton of potential in the property, but no joke... EVERY time I ever try to steer the conversation of "What TMNT is about" towards things like "Brotherhood", "Family", "Outcasts", "What it means to be 'human'," etc. etc., people look at me like I have two heads.

"It's just a goofy cartoon, brah. Why so serious? It's not about any of that stuff." And then I have to light them on fire.

Until people in real life decide they want to elevate the conversation, we're stuck with what we have.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Can't watch the video
It's a group of people watching Injustice 2 on a widescreen. When the TMNT appear on the screen, the audience cheer.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-10-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I should have clarified. "I'm at work and thus prohibited from watching it." But I suspected based on what he described that it's exactly as you mentioned.

I may have actually seen it once, I don't know.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you, Aqua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Can't watch the video, but I agree with you in spirit.

But the game was over when we collectively relented to accepting anything with a TMNT sticker on it, so long as the "Pizza" and "Cowabunga" boxes were checked.

There's a ton of potential in the property, but no joke... EVERY time I ever try to steer the conversation of "What TMNT is about" towards things like "Brotherhood", "Family", "Outcasts", "What it means to be 'human'," etc. etc., people look at me like I have two heads.

"It's just a goofy cartoon, brah. Why so serious? It's not about any of that stuff." And then I have to light them on fire.

Until people in real life decide they want to elevate the conversation, we're stuck with what we have.
Having a catchphrase isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. But the way the whole thing is presented. I know that's most likely your point, but just want to make sure I got it right.

Cowabunga is definitely an iconic catchphrase. And even though ti wasn't invented by TMNT at all, it definitely helped popularise it. When you say "Cowabunga!" to someone in public they're either gonna think of TMNT or Bart Simpson. Regardless, it's considered to be a very 80s expression. I know Nick wanted to try out a new thing, but "Booyakasha" seems like a bad decision. First of all, that catchphrase was popularised by someone else already, the character portrayed by Sasha Baron Cohen 'Ali G'. Reminds me of the FW episode where DOnatello suggests Michelangelo tries something other than "Cowabunga" for once and as Michelangelo tries to shout "Yabba Dabba Doo!", which we all know as Fred Flinstone's catchphrase, Donatello covers Mike's mouth and tells him "that's not you". Don should have done that to Mike in the Nick series as well before he got the chance to complete his first uttering of "Booyakasha!"

The pizza stuff never made much sense in the first place. I mean, they're supposed to be in good shape since they're martial artists. Do you know anyone who is physically fit and a black belt in martial arts who solely eats pizza? And quite unhealthy pizza like the Turtles do in the FW series to boot? But I guess if they got rid of pizza it would be harder to come up with health items in future TMNT video games lol
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Having a catchphrase isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. But the way the whole thing is presented. I know that's most likely your point, but just want to make sure I got it right.
A bad thing? Sometimes it's the ONLY thing! Christ, without "Welcome to the RoxxShow", I don't think I'd have made a dime. Certainly nobody pays me based on my wrestling skills.

It's the fact that things can simply be reduced to a catchphrase, and forever defined by it, that bothers me.

To wit: "Welcome to the RoxxShow" isn't all of who I am, it's just something I say before I spike someone on their head and spit water at children. THAT is who I am, and I try and make sure people know that.

Catchphrases are great. They're a marketing necessity. But they can be reductive.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Overlord

4 Kids series

Quote:
Reminds me of the FW episode where DOnatello suggests Michelangelo tries something other than "Cowabunga" for once and as Michelangelo tries to shout "Yabba Dabba Doo!", which we all know as Fred Flinstone's catchphrase, Donatello covers Mike's mouth and tells him "that's not you".
Wasn't that in the 4 Kids series?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Agree with what’s already been said. I never read the comics and don’t have an interest in the newer stuff (2012, Rise, etc.), but my favourite interpretations are the 2003 series and 1990 film. They strike the right balance between being lighthearted and serious.

I still like the 1987 series but not as much as the 2003 one. Too many pizza jokes and irritating catchphrases (still love Cowabunga, though). Also, the fact that the Turtles never called his other brothers is jarring nowadays (this was referenced in Turtles Forever).
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ah, yes, the Injustice reveal. Love the reaction.

They do need to be taken more seriously. I don't mind them being underdogs in the real world, the "little guy," in a sense, keeping up well with the big name franchise companies. That's not a bad thing. But this mindset that everything new is "for the next generation" and dumbing them down for it isn't helping. Nor is it fair to them. Are Batman and others being repeatedly dumbed down for "a new generation"? Why isn't the message the same that his/their fans are supposed to leave now and let the new kids have it? New young fans are entirely welcome, but this stigma has got to go. The dumbing down is kind of abusive as it's probably all sales driven to try to get the most kids into it (even if just temporarily) and buy crap, rather than letting the TMNT be who they are and the right new young fans who actually love it will show up on their own. (Where is the belief that the Turtles don't have to be dumb in order to sell?)

The world does love these guys. Every now and then I come across articles (okay usually via searching for any newest TMNT news) or shows or whatnot on tv that randomly mention them while not actually having anything to do with them. I love that that happens. With their first generation of fans well into adulthood their name can turn up anywhere now (from fan sites to the Wall Street Journal); as do proud fans from all walks of life.

This lovable band of butt kicking brothers and family just trying to make it the best they can in life, doing their best sans superpowers and with a lot of things out their control, just like people in the real world, resonate with people more than many other characters ever will.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
With their first generation of fans well into adulthood.
By this time, even most children who grew up with the 4 Kids series have reached adulthood.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
By this time, even most children who grew up with the 4 Kids series have reached adulthood.
my kid Brothers who grew up on 2k3 are 18 and 20 years old. The 4Kids show is getting old
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2k3 series is 16 years old. Kids who grew up with it are in their early 20's now, give or take.

The early 2000's are a long time ago now, even I was only 17 years old back then when it was airing. Hard to believe I was still in High School back then.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The 4Kids show is getting old
Ending in February 2009, it can now be considered as old as the Fred Wolf cartoon was in November 2006 (to give some perspectives).
Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
The pizza stuff never made much sense in the first place. I mean, they're supposed to be in good shape since they're martial artists. Do you know anyone who is physically fit and a black belt in martial arts who solely eats pizza? And quite unhealthy pizza like the Turtles do in the FW series to boot? But I guess if they got rid of pizza it would be harder to come up with health items in future TMNT video games lol
Teenagers like pizza and the TMNT developed with a world around them that eats pizza, plays video games, watches movies etc. I'm not sure why everybody acts like it's a strange thing? It shows the TMNT are a product of their environment hence the whole joke of it. Even in the movie while April can't figure out why the Turtles like pizza their response is "doesn't everybody?"

I do agree the TMNT could be a bigger franchise. I guess it stems from the original writers and artists not gaining the level of fame Stan Lee and such have got over time. That's probably why TMNT gets left out when people remember comics in general.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #15
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I'm not sure why everybody acts like it's a strange thing?
Same with Michelangelo's comics.