The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hulu Announce Four Animated Shows From Marvel

Quote:
Hulu and Marvel Television have partnered to produce four adult animated series, Variety has learned.

The shows will be based on the following Marvel characters: Howard the Duck, M.O.D.O.K, Hit-Monkey, and Tigra and Dazzler. Like the Marvel-Netflix “Defenders” shows before them, the four characters will then team up in the animated special “The Offenders.” Marvel’s head of TV, Jeph Loeb, will executive produce each project. Disney–which owns Marvel–will become a majority shareholder in Hulu once the Fox-Disney merger is completed.

“Howard the Duck” will be written and executive produced by Kevin Smith and Dave Willis. Smith is known for his Askewniverse films, including “Clerks,” “Mallrats,” and “Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.” Smith has also written for Marvel Comics in the past, writing for popular characters like Daredevil and Spider-Man. Willis previously co-created popular animated shows like “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” and “Squidbillies” for Adult Swim in addition to his work as a voice actor.

Smith is repped by WME. Willis is repped by CAA and Brillstein Entertainment Partners.

In the series, Howard the Duck is trapped in a world he never made, but America’s favorite fighting fowl hopes to return home with the help of his unstoppable gal pal Beverly before the evil Dr. Bong can turn him the crispiest dish on the menu.

“M.O.D.O.K.” will be written and executive produced by Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt. Blum’s previous credits include “Community” and “American Dad.” Oswalt is an Emmy-winning stand up comedian. He currently appears on the NBC series “A.P. Bio,” the Syfy series “Happy!,” Netflix’s “Mystery Science Theater 3000,” and serves as narrator on ABC’s “The Goldbergs.”

Blum is repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion. Oswalt is repped by UTA and Generate.

“M.O.D.O.K,” or Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing, centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family.

“Hit-Monkey” will be written and executive produced by Josh Gordon and Will Speck, the team that previously co-directed films like “Blades of Glory” and “Office Christmas Party.” They are repped by CAA and Management 360.

The show tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld.

“Tigra & Dazzler” hails from writers and executive producers Erica Rivinoja and Chelsea Handler. Rivinoja worked on the story for the film “Girls Trip” and her previous writing credits include shows like “The Last Man on Earth,” “South Park,” and “Grounded for Life.” Handler is known for hosting her own talk shows on both E! and Netflix, “Chelsea Lately” and “Chelsea” respectively.

Rivinoja is repped by UTA. Handler is repped by UTA and Azoff MSG Entertainment.

News of these new animated series comes as three of the four original live-action Marvel Netflix “Defenders” shows–“Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist”–have all been cancelled within the past few months. The fourth show, “Jessica Jones,” is expected to air its third season in 2019. As Variety exclusively reported, the deal for the original four shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. A fifth show, “The Punisher” starring Jon Bernthal, debuted its second season in January and a decision regarding its future is still pending.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/mar...ra-1203134321/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

You know what's funny, all of these seem like adult animated shows. Not only is Disney getting a share of Hulu by buying FOX, they also get the (arguably) most successful studio producing adult animation. Or at the very least the animation studio that has produced a signifigant amout of adult animation compared to most others.

Fantastic Mr Fox
Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
The Critic
King of the Hill
Futurama
American Dad
The Cleveland show
The PJs
Sit Down Shut Up
Napoleon Dynamite TAS
Allen Gregory
Bordertown
Son of Zorn

Not all of these are considered critically acclaimed but I doubt there are many animation studios in the US willing to put out this much adult content.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm happy that Howard The Duck is finally getting his own series.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Marvel posted about it. as well as post a teaser image.
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-s...inkId=63468600

Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
You know what's funny, all of these seem like adult animated shows. Not only is Disney getting a share of Hulu by buying FOX, they also get the (arguably) most successful studio producing adult animation. Or at the very least the animation studio that has produced a signifigant amout of adult animation compared to most others.

Fantastic Mr Fox
Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
The Critic
King of the Hill
Futurama
American Dad
The Cleveland show
The PJs
Sit Down Shut Up
Napoleon Dynamite TAS
Allen Gregory
Bordertown
Son of Zorn

Not all of these are considered critically acclaimed but I doubt there are many animation studios in the US willing to put out this much adult content.
You forgetting Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty, Spawn, The Maxx, The Head, Castlevania etc.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Can't say I care, although I'm mildly curious for Hit Monkey...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I've actually read/own an issue of Deadpool he appears in. Be prepared for some really weird s**t.... As for Howard, it's ABOUT D**MED TIME!! Not sure about MODOK ( he has a family??!! Ohhh-kaaay) but Tigra and Dazzler could be cool. Two very interesting characters.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
sdp
-

Disney is majority shareholder of Hulu after the Fox deal, it's clear they want to have the Disney streaming service to be family friendly and they'll keep a more adult oriented programming on Hulu, if I were to guess I'd say Disney will own Hulu 100% in a few years and buy out Comcast/AT&T who own the other 40%.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Very interesting. While none of these particularly excite me, I can see myself really enjoying MODOK or Howard the Duck, if they have clever writing or smooth animation.

I'm more excited at the possibility of what else they could announce. I'm getting my jimmies rustled imagining an adult-oriented X-Men or Spider-Man cartoon through this deal.

Still bummed about the Deadpool series being cancelled. I wonder if Deadpool could ever work as a live-action series. If the future with the films doesn't work out. I mean, you can cover a lot of screentime by just having Ryan/Wade cracking jokes or ad libbing on screen. Cheap, if Ryan wants to do it.

I'm getting way off track. Thanks for reading.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Oh, no, NO! You just made my day with that idea of Ryan doing a live action DP series! And yeah, I could see him going for that. Steady work, great character he already loves- what's not to like about that? Now, when do we start hitting him up to get it made?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Oh, no, NO! You just made my day with that idea of Ryan doing a live action DP series! And yeah, I could see him going for that. Steady work, great character he already loves- what's not to like about that? Now, when do we start hitting him up to get it made?
That be cool and also have Howard as a guest star.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
The Cast of Marvel's M.O.D.O.K. Reveals the First Look at Hulu's New Animated Series (October 9, 8:30PM-9PM ET)
Finally, Marvel will wrap things up with a focus on MODOK's new Hulu animated series, which also includes a comic book starring MODOK, written by the show's producers Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum. That's Marvel's last panel, taking place from 8:30-9:00 PM ET on Friday, October 9.

"Everyone's favorite big-headed, egomaniacal Super Villain is coming to Hulu!" reads the description. "Get an exclusive first look at the upcoming adult animated series, Marvel's M.O.D.O.K., hear from creators Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum, and meet our hilarious cast of characters voiced by Aimee Garcia, Ben Schwartz, and Melissa Fumero. Marvel's M.O.D.O.K. is coming soon to Hulu."
https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-co...2020-schedule/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
Sumac
Banned

MODOK - everyone's favorite? Is he really that popular?

I always thought he is some C-tier character, who is mostly remembered for how odd he looks, rather than some accomplishments or interesting stories.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
Galactus
Foot Elite

For the life of me I'll never know why now that Disney owns Marvel that they can't use the proper design for Howard. The only reason they changed him was because Disney threatened to sue but now it should not be an issue,

Howard should not wear pants.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

Howard should not wear pants.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #16
Galactus