The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #16
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier

Yes, I know that man lol. I never tried to suggest he actually died more than he did, but the fake-out description does apply to an extent by trying to suggest he could've been killed or what have you before he truly DID die. It works in narrative terms as a possible death because until they find him stark-raving mad and alive, the Turtles have no proof he didn't die in the S2 finale. Yes, they reassure each other, yes Karai saved him, but only WE as the audience know he's actually alive until they find him - they still aren't certain until that point. So yes, it was already playing off those emotions and using that possibility as a plot device. So I argue that it applies as something of a fake-out, as have others - even if it only applies to the internal narrative POV of the characters themselves.

Same thing applies with him plummeting off the rocks in the underground chasm -
definitely yet another applicable example of them suggesting his death to the other characters even before they fully and finally committed to it.

So, in essence, two arguable fake-outs, two actual deaths, with the second of those being permanent. It's like the showrunners secretly hated Splinter lol. Maybe not (and I doubt it lol), but man was he ever a constant target in this series.

It bothers me most I guess because I think 2012 Splinter will forever be my favorite incarnation from now on. I loved Hoon Lee's performance. I can't see a better Splinter ever coming after his in my lifetime. Which makes how he got batted around like a whipping boy and murdered repeatedly all the more irritating in hindsight. But hey, it's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote