The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #81
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
People don't want to risk buying you something that you don't like.
It's still a risk - I don't know what I want. That's one of the themes of my life so far.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #82
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

"Why do you like going there?"
"Why do you like hanging out with (insert name here)?"
Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #83
Aeius
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDem View Post
"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"What do you study?"

"What are you going to do with your degree?"

'Why did you choose that?"

"How are your studies going?"

I appreciate the fact people are curious about me. But everybody asks the same questions and it gets on my nerves.
I get this a lot too and so repetitive.

There's also:

"When are you going to take the exam?"

"Where do you wanna go?"

"Can you add me on *social website*?"- I only find this annoying if the person is someone I am only acquainted with/not even that close.

"My world is my inspiration."
Aeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #84
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've spent the last half year working at Kohls in the children's department, which is right next to the bathroom, at the back of the store. My most commonly asked question, besides "where's customer service?" (at the front of the store), is "where's the bathroom?". The bathroom that is right behind them where they should have been able to see the sign that it was there.

Same with looking for the price checker with my department. Granted, that one has a gray sign and is a little hard to identify. And hiding.

Thus, I vow never to ask a retail worker "where is the bathroom?" unless it is completely and entirely lost to me. Like a hardware store. I can never find them in hardware stores...
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #85
Prowler
Emperor

"Why are you so thin? Are you starving/don't you eat well enough?"

Ever thought that, maybe, some people gain weight at a different rate than you and might also have different genetics that make them thinner(or heavier) than you?

Seems very socially acceptable to ask thin people if we're starving ourselves, but I bet if I asked a fat person "do you eat a lot of sweets" I'd get torn to pieces by society. Oh double standards
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #86
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Why are you so quiet?"

Although these days it more often tends to be posed more as a comment than a question, but it's still there.

Typically I just shrug and tell them "I just am." I mean, what am I supposed to say? Questioning someone's inborn nature is kind of rude. What if I asked some others why they're so loud or whatnot? Maybe I'll start saying "I'm a ninja" just to throw them off.

Quote:
Seems very socially acceptable to ask thin people
Oh yeah, way more socially acceptable. Not that heavier people don't have an awful lot aimed at them, but it is widely understandable that they may rightly be offended (even if the offender doesn't care). Thin people though are looked at as if we aren't supposed to get offended by such intrusive questions or suggestions.

Had I grown up making fun of my sister's weight I'd have been in trouble, but comments on me (the total opposite) weren't ever off limits even from my own mother. (My sister is totally comfortable in her own skin, and I'd like to think I may have had a hand in that having told her a number of times in her teens that it is totally okay to be who she is, not everyone is meant to be thin.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-31-2016 at 12:15 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #87
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
"Why are you so quiet?"

Although these days it more often tends to be posed more as a comment than a question, but it's still there.

Typically I just shrug and tell them "I just am." I mean, what am I supposed to say? Questioning someone's inborn nature is kind of rude. What if I asked some others why they're so loud or whatnot? Maybe I'll start saying "I'm a ninja" just to throw them off.

Oh yeah, way more socially acceptable. Not that heavier people don't have an awful lot aimed at them, but it is widely understandable that they may rightly be offended (even if the offender doesn't care). Thin people though are looked at as if we aren't supposed to get offended by such intrusive questions or suggestions.

Had I grown up making fun of my sister's weight I'd have been in trouble, but comments on me (the total opposite) weren't ever off limits even from my own mother. (My sister is totally comfortable in her own skin, and I'd like to think I may have had a hand in that having told her a number of times in her teens that it is totally okay to be who she is, not everyone is meant to be thin.)
I used to get asked when I was a kid/teenager. I'd always say "I have nothing to say". Way more people should keep their mouths shut more often.

Yes, being a fat person is even worse, especially a fat woman. Most guys claim that a girl/woman being fat is a turnoff.

As for thinness, I think nowadays it's mostly due to peer pressure from society who wants everyone to be gym models. Apparently we all need to have bodybuilding bodies and every woman needs to have a big ass and D cups. For us guys it can be more of a hit to the ego. Hence why, if you ever been to a gym, you'll see scrawny guys trying to lift way more weight than they can handle. Because society tells them they should be buff and also seems to miss the point that gains like that take a long time.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 AM   #88
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I hate when people talk crap about overweight people going to the gym. Like damn they're trying to better themselves.

Anyway have heard these way too much recently...
"What do you mean you and (SO & SO) aren't a thing or never were a thing?"
"Are you illegal? You think you'll get deported"
Old 02-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #89
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
Anyway have heard these way too much recently...
"What do you mean you and (SO & SO) aren't a thing or never were a thing?"
"Are you illegal? You think you'll get deported"
Are you illegal?! Wow, rude!

I hate that "you guys aren't a thing" thing too. Or like, "Why don't you ask your friend so & so out?" Well, because her boyfriend would probably object. People aren't just orbiting around me waiting for their chance you know. We're friends.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #90
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Are you illegal?! Wow, rude!

I hate that "you guys aren't a thing" thing too. Or like, "Why don't you ask your friend so & so out?" Well, because her boyfriend would probably object. People aren't just orbiting around me waiting for their chance you know. We're friends.
I think shuriken mentioned being asked that before, but I'm not sure.

Ugh, tell me about it. The most annoying sh*t was getting asked by older relatives when I was a kid if I had a gf yet. And the worst was being seen talking to a girl from my school/class for like 10 seconds and then older people saying something like "oh I think she's a nice girl. You should go out with her!". Even if they're joking that s*it isn't funny.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #91
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
I think shuriken mentioned being asked that before, but I'm not sure.
Close. When people in long term relationships are asked "When are you getting married?"
Quote:
Ugh, tell me about it. The most annoying sh*t was getting asked by older relatives when I was a kid if I had a gf yet. And the worst was being seen talking to a girl from my school/class for like 10 seconds and then older people saying something like "oh I think she's a nice girl. You should go out with her!". Even if they're joking that s*it isn't funny.
^^This. Being the hella awkward kid I was it made me super nervous even the thought of it.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #92
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
When people in long term relationships are asked "When are you getting married?"
Even single people get asked that from time to time. I remember some comedian once came up with kind of a twisted, yet humorous response: "I dunno, you're married. When are ya gonna die?!"

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #93
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I got asked by an elderly gentleman in Walmart once if I was married or had ever been married. I said no and he said, "How are you going to give your mother grandkids?" It really got on my nerves but I politely said that I didn't want to have children or get married. Being single is more my cup of tea and as of now, I don't have time for a relationship anyway.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #94
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

omg asl. That brings back memories. The very first time someone ever asked me that, I was like 7 and I thought they were asking so they could kidnap me or something and I blocked them immediately for asking it lmfao
Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #95
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
omg asl. That brings back memories. The very first time someone ever asked me that, I was like 7 and I thought they were asking so they could kidnap me or something and I blocked them immediately for asking it lmfao
That should be taught to all children.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #96
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"How was work today?"

I've been busy trying to forget it, not relive it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #97
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
That should be taught to all children.
While the vast majority of the time that's only asked to give you an idea of who's behind the screen in the simplest of ways I can agree to this.

Not that it'd do much good since they all use their real names everywhere these days
Old 05-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #98
The Deadman
Foot Elite

"Hi, do you work here?"

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #99
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Do you have kids? As if its their business whether I have procreated or not. Seriously why would someone care if I have kids?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #100
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh god, that question. I only tend to get it from co-workers, usually fellow women, who I guess just want to get to know me, but at this age they tend to react a little surprised that I don't and not married. *cringe*

Hey, life doesn't always happen the way you wanted or hoped and I'm not the 'settling' type, so things are what they are right now. But I ain't dead yet, so...

Last time I heard that question was from one of our new team leads. Fortunately she didn't react much to it, but suggested that well, there's always adoption and talked about her own plans to adopt at least one someday. (Seems she's adopted herself.) Though while that is all well and good, I'm just not much of the maternal type and not sure I could connect well enough with an adopted child (nor do I have the best 'attachment' with others myself)...and if I couldn't, I wouldn't want a kid to have go through life lacking in that department. Not that I'm in any financial or life position to take on that challenge anyhow.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote