The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Dan Slott On His Short-Lived TMNT Adventures Run

During a conversation on the Spider-Man CBR forums. Current ASM and Silver Surfer Writer Dan Slott talked a bit about his three issue TMNT Adventures run which came to an end due to Archie losing the license.

Quote:
It was going to be the start of a new ongoing series, but *right* before issue #1 was heading off, Archie lost the license (I believe to Erik Larsen's group over at Image) and we had to change the ending of our 3rd issue to wrap up the story and "put all the toys back in the box".

From #4 on, Splinter was restored from a rat back into a man. Mikey had been turned back into a turtle, but returned to his mutated state-- but the act of that had drastically scrambled his memories and left him more child-like. Those were the 2 big status quo changes going forward... but both had to be undone (rather abruptly) to play fair with fans who'd want a clean ending before picking up the new Image book.

Still had tons of fun working with those characters. (And, you can see from the 1st cover, it was around the time when the Power Rangers had become a big hit in the U.S., so our first issue had the Turtles fighting a thinly veiled Power Ranger-like team.)
http://community.comicbookresources....eversed/page63
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I quite liked those books & woulda loved more. For better or worse they were some of my earliest TMNT comics, so I've got a certain fondness for 'em.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I enjoyed the heck out of Year of the Turtle, personally. It played a little loose with continuity to accommodate new readers, but it worked really well as a finale to the Archie series (even if it wasn't initially meant to be).

I actually rather wish Slott hadn't restored the status quo at the end (it's not like the Image series was part of that timeline, though perhaps he didn't know that). It would have felt like a stronger sendoff if Splinter had remained human permanently and Mikey would have had to gradually grow back up after being turned into a kid.

Still, it was a good mini with excellent art and an appropriately epic/goofy finale confrontation with the Shredder. One of the Archie gems you don't see pop up too often.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Nearly forgot about this story, but I loved it as a kid.

Blew my mind a couple years ago when I realized it was written by Dan Slott. He really impressed me with Superior Spider-Man.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Archie lost the license (I believe to Erik Larsen's group over at Image)
Quote:
but both had to be undone (rather abruptly) to play fair with fans who'd want a clean ending before picking up the new Image book.
lol... that's... not what happened at all.

Quote:
Mikey had been turned back into a turtle, but returned to his mutated state-- but the act of that had drastically scrambled his memories and left him more child-like. Those were the 2 big status quo changes going forward... but both had to be undone (rather abruptly)
He wanted to literally in-story change Mikey into Ultra Dude Mikey? That's a horrible idea.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Nearly forgot about this story, but I loved it as a kid.

Blew my mind a couple years ago when I realized it was written by Dan Slott. He really impressed me with Superior Spider-Man.
He wrote some of my favorite Ren and Stimpy comics...kind of feel dirty for enjoying them considering how much I think he sucks now.

I agree with that one CBR article that said Superior is a worse story than OMD too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
lol... that's... not what happened at all.
Really? Dan caught in another lie? Perish the thought
Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I agree with that one CBR article that said Superior is a worse story than OMD too
Absolute nonsense.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

To be honest, I never considered the fact that the Year of the Turtle series ever planned to continue after issue #3. Now I really would like to know what the long-term story arc plans might have been.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Weird timing for this thread considering the newest member currently says it's Dan Slott. I would like to read the three issues but can't find them. Except for one ebay seller with a dozen copies of #1. If anyone has a tip for buying issues 1-3 that would be great.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 04-27-2017 at 08:32 PM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Absolute nonsense.
As someone who's read the Spider-Man comics all my life and who abhors OMD...yeah, it really is worse.

But if you liked it, good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Weird timing for this thread considering the newest member currently says it's Dan Slott.

He's probably joined to contest Andrew's claim that he's misremebering details about Archie and Image.

If he's here...well, I'm sure we'll find a way to get on. Regardless of how I feel about his current work and attitudes to fans, he used to write stuff I enjoyed and he'll probably be very open to people who continue to enjoy him.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 04-28-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
He's probably joined to contest Andrew's claim that he's misremebering details about Archie and Image.
That would be strange, though I'd love to see what he'd say. There's 0 chance there was any correlation between Archie and Image... I doubt Erik even had a clue there was an Archie book out there. Image (Vol. 3) happened because Mirage Volume 2 ended at Mirage and Mirage came to Erik to do a continuation. Whether the Archie book was thriving, barely treading water, or cancelled, that had absolutely no bearing on the Image book, or vice versa... that was always considered "The kids' book."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Superior is quality work, and is way better than OMD
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
Superior is quality work, and is way better than OMD
You been listening to Unci Herb?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, Superior Spider-Man was a blast to follow monthly and does a nice job pointing out what makes Peter Parker special to Dan.

OMD is 100% retcon disguised as a story.

This is coming from someone who think Dan should have been booted off Amazing Spider-Man years ago.

Also, as much as I love Dan's work on TMNT, I'm totally glad he left when he did. Assumig that it was to make room for Image comic's TMNT.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
snake
Disgusting

lol, I hope that really is Dan Slott who joined.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This is coming from someone who think Dan should have been booted off Amazing Spider-Man years ago.
Yeah, totally cool if you like Superior. I'm mainly just ribbing people here 'cause Dan and I fell out ages ago on other forums
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, totally cool if you like Superior. I'm mainly just ribbing people here 'cause Dan and I fell out ages ago on other forums
Yeah, to each their own. I'm sure we'd agree on other Spidey stories.

Now, what I would like is for Dan to hop of Spider-Man and take charge of IDW TMNT.
Probably a big pay cut, but if it balances out with other work...
Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, I'd like him to move forward with his career, and he'd at least give TMNT a healthy kind of controversial spin. Hell you already see it with Andrew's reaction to man-child Mikey
Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Idunno. With how I feel about Superior and much of his work on Spidey post-BND, I'd prefer he stayed far away from my TMNT. I have not been impressed with any of his stories. Might change my mind where RYV is concerned but have yet to read any of that. Until then I'm happy with TMNT's current writers.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Idunno. With how I feel about Superior and much of his work on Spidey post-BND, I'd prefer he stayed far away from my TMNT. I have not been impressed with any of his stories. Might change my mind where RYV is concerned but have yet to read any of that. Until then I'm happy with TMNT's current writers.
The current RYV series is better than the one Slott wrote.

Tags
archie comics, cancelled media, crazy freemason attitude