The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

5 dead after argument at golf course led to shooting and mobile home explosion

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-dead-63895264

Quote:
California golf course dispute sparks shooting, fire; 5 dead

A third body has been found in the rubble of a burned-out mobile home in California, bringing to five the number of dead in a shooting and fire that began during an argument at a golf course, authorities said.

Santa Maria police identified Kurt Bracke, 70, and Richard Hanen, 78, as the victims who were fatally shot.

Residents told The Santa Maria Times there had been a long-standing feud between the two men and the shooter that boiled over Friday at the golf course of the Casa Grande Mobile Estates in Santa Maria, a coastal city about 140 miles (225 kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles. The shooter has not been identified.

"These three guys were threatening each other for a long time," Keith Castro said.

Responding to a report of shots fired at the mobile home park on Friday morning, police found one man fatally shot inside the Casa Grande clubhouse and another dead on the grass nearby, the newspaper reported.

The gunman is believed to have fled to his mobile home, which then went up in flames after a small explosion. The blaze spread to nearby mobile homes before it could be put out by firefighters, where ammunition was exploding from the gunman's mobile home.

"All throughout the firefighting efforts, ammunition was cooking off," Police Chief Phil Hansen said.

Authorities initially found two bodies— one of which is believed to be the gunman's— in the rubble, but said Saturday an additional victim had been located. Their names will be released after the coroner's office confirms their identities.

The gas valve to the mobile home park was turned off during the firefighting efforts, the Southern California Gas Company said in an email. It has since been turned back on.

Santa Maria City Councilwoman Gloria Soto expressed her condolences to the victims' families on Twitter.

"I am committed to working on local policies that keep our residents and their families safe," she wrote .

Santa Maria police declined to release any additional information and Casa Grande Mobile Estates declined to comment on Sunday.
This is quite a... strange story and headline, Hence why I had to share this here.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I was gonna guess Florida. Surprised to see California.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I was gonna guess Florida. Surprised to see California.
Florida is always a good bet when it comes to insane current events. Tragic case here though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Florida is always a good bet when it comes to insane current events. Tragic case here though.
Why is that the case? What is it about Florida that makes such incidents seemingly more common? Or at least more reported by the media?
Old 06-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Florida Man.....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

When old men who play golf kill each other, I'm not sure there is any hope left for this species. Maybe it's time for humanity to just call it quits.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
When old men who play golf kill each other, I'm not sure there is any hope left for this species. Maybe it's time for humanity to just call it quits.
About a decade ago I remember reading on the news about two guys who were roommates and killed each other in a fight for... a roll of toilet paper.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Stop overdramatazing.
People have killed each for less.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I don't think it's possible to "overdramtize" when it gets that stupid. Toilet paper? Really makes you wonder how humanity got this far only to fall to pieces over stupid stuff now.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to "overdramtize" when it gets that stupid. Toilet paper? Really makes you wonder how humanity got this far only to fall to pieces over stupid stuff now.
I guarantee you that you can dig into easily Googleable stories in the 80s and 70s for stories of equally and probably far, far sillier.

And I only say the 80s and 70s because that's when stuff began to be readily documented in a fashion somewhat resembling a prototype for the current media.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
One of the major feuds between rich Venice families, which influenced history of the humanity, had happened because of the bad joke of the court jester.

Humanity is alright, despite some whiners always whining about upcoming end of the world, due to being easily impressionable, as well, as not having enough knowledge about human history.

We wouldn't get this far if humanity consisted mostly of those types of people. Which is not the case.

So take breath, relax and watch some cartoons.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Stop overdramatazing.
People have killed each for less.
Occasionally you read on the news about someone in a small rural town or village murdering their neighbour or relative due to some inheritance dispute or some argument they had at a café over football or something like that.

Such things could easily be avoided but there's always gonna be a small minority of humans doing such things, no matter how safe your country is. Sucks but human nature can be like that at times.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 AM   #13
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Wow, I'm ... speechless.

Why did this even have to happen?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:57 AM   #14
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Florida Man.....
Don't forget our humble state - we've got some crazies here too.

Quote:
When old men who play golf kill each other, I'm not sure there is any hope left for this species.
As I mentioned above, there are people here that can / do kill each other just for the last beer.

Last edited by DarkFell; 06-29-2019 at 04:04 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Why is that the case? What is it about Florida that makes such incidents seemingly more common? Or at least more reported by the media?
Good question. My only guess is the sheer size and potential population. Maybe it’s just a strange place though, idk.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote