The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Things about eighties cartoon series which irk you.

Yeah, with such a title, I figure I'd get the elephant in the room straight away. TMNT got their start as a cartoon series too and for many of us (me included) introduced us to the series.

But eighties cartoon series, as legendary as they are, were stuffed full with mistakes, continuity errors and plot holes.

Take for example Transformers the episode "The Key to vector Sigma" we see Rumble steal cars to make a new team of Decepticons from: the Stunticons. Now Rumble, being one of Soundwave's cassette tapes, is a small Transformer, in fact, there are scenes of Spike Witwhikey fist fighting Rumble and the two of them are or equal height.

Rumble fighting Perceptor, showing to good effect his small stature.

So if Rumble is just as tall as a normal human, then what's the deal of him being bigger than the cars he steals?

And after the Stunticons have been given the ability to transform, they are shown to be much taller than Rumble is.

He could have easily sat down behind the wheel of the cars when they were still cars as he's small enough to do so.

Also in the same episode. How the heck did Soundwave end up in the Cargo area of Ironhide's standing next to Blaster, seriously, how did that happen without anybody noticing it happening, the Autobots KNOW who Soundwave is and what he looks like when transformed.

He-man and the Masters of the universe and the spin off She-ra Princess of Power The main flaw of that series was the fact that Filmation used a LOT of stock footage, many of the scenes were redrawn scenes from earlier episodes all to save the costs of animation. Which is also why He-man and Prince Adam look exactly alike and yet NOBODY figures out they're the same guy?

With She-Ra and Princess Adora, it's different. A Tiara, a different voice and a different eye color really DOES change her appearance enough.

But it only takes the removal of the Tiara...

And yet nobody makes the connection.

So how about something a bit more obscure: here's Ovide Video

And here's the same opening song but in Dutch.

With the latter one, they made an effort to make the lyrics of the song go with the music, something which the American Dub put in no effort whatsoever of doing, the lyrics are cluttered up and rushed in some places.

Now one ought to think that when producing a cartoon, that the people in charge have access to a sound bank. This song from the series The Bluffers shows that that wasn't always the case. Was it really too hard to dub in the sound of a pneumatic hammer, a tank firing its gun or an explosion?

The episode from which that song came was full of examples of not using the actual sound, when the Bluffers wanted to raid the museum and steal the book underneath the dome in the clip (They did so by actually lifting the dome up...) they tripped the alarm off which was one of those alarm bells but there was no effort put in to use the sound of an actual bell ringing.

So was the Fred Wolf TMNT without flaws like that?

...no...

How for example did Lotus Blossom deliver a pizza into the Turtles' lair? How did nobody notice her sneaking in, how did she know where the liar was in the first place?

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 01-07-2020 at 04:38 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Back then animation was widely a different animal. Logic and continuity were an after thought in most cases, second to just pumping out the material which was widely designed to support or advertise a product line.

If a production team could make logic fit during pre-production they would, but if something slipped by there was generally little reward for addressing or fixing it.

Also, those shows were truly intended for kids who, back then were probably more forgiving of animation error for a variety of reasons than they are today. Most notably because we had no stewards for animation the way children today do. That is to say that it was just us, the shows and the toys back then. But today, we've all grown up but stuck with what we loved and now sort of steward these things on to our own kids.

It's a more demanding market now than it was back then, widely for those reasons.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The "Good Guys" almost never went on the offensive against the "Bad Guys." It was always responding to the threat of the day posed by the villains. I suppose there's some moral lesson in that, but eternal vigilance doesn't have to be passive.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just didn't like how Christian soccer moms controlled the level of violence in kids cartoon back then. A lot of shows were not even allowed to show the good guys punching the bad guys, it was ridiculous.

You look at the cartoons aimed at kids in the early 2000's, like Teen Titans, the DC cartoons, Avatar, etc...and characters beat each other up just fine, there's often death or serious injury, and no kids had their heads explode.

Christian soccer moms ruined my childhood. Just think of all the cool fight scenes we could have gotten in our cartoons when WE were the target audience. But no, "Little Timmy" can't see a bad guy get punched in the face. "Oh TMNT is too violent for kids" when the original cartoon was so tame as it was.

Damn the Christian soccer moms from the 1980's and early 90's....you people ruined my childhood!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I think you mean animation-wise. The infamous New York's Shiniest plot hole about the Turtles on patrol in the Turtle Van and go threw the whole burned into the bridge only for April, Splinter, and Rex-1 to be driving in it. Somewhere between the writer, Richard Merwin would have realized it when writing it and the animation team that it was impossible for the submerged vehicle to be driven by someone else and have the side door busted.

The Ninja Sword To Nowhere, Blast From The Past, and Michelangelo's Birthday all have poor plot resolutions. I would have preferred to have more sensible to the situation resolutions.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I just didn't like how Christian soccer moms controlled the level of violence in kids cartoon back then. A lot of shows were not even allowed to show the good guys punching the bad guys, it was ridiculous.

You look at the cartoons aimed at kids in the early 2000's, like Teen Titans, the DC cartoons, Avatar, etc...and characters beat each other up just fine, there's often death or serious injury, and no kids had their heads explode.

Christian soccer moms ruined my childhood. Just think of all the cool fight scenes we could have gotten in our cartoons when WE were the target audience. But no, "Little Timmy" can't see a bad guy get punched in the face. "Oh TMNT is too violent for kids" when the original cartoon was so tame as it was.

Damn the Christian soccer moms from the 1980's and early 90's....you people ruined my childhood!
I expect it's far more likely that you should cast your blame upon government boards and certified "experts" in child psychology, etc. rather than some ladies who just wanted to monitor their children's entertainment options. That said, if all that "ruined" your childhood, sounds like it didn't have a very good foundation.

The 1980s were actually a remarkable time for children's animated programs, on account of Ronald Reagan's presidential administration scaling back government regulations which opened up more programming possibilities than had existed in any previous decade. The same guy who was probably elected into office by a large number of those dastardly "Christian soccer moms" you disdain so much.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

These don't so much irk me as add to the entertainment value. I'm already in a world where the fantastic is common place. The fact that things just happen because they're convenient just add to the hilarity.

It's like watching old Showa Godzilla movies. In Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla learns to operate a giant device to fight his opponent. Or the time he just decides to jump kick a Megalon and. . . well, it's just a thing of beauty.

I can totally understand why this would drive people nuts, though. The times when they messed up the headbands in TMNT always bothered me. Though over the years I started taking it less as a bug and more as a feature.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The need to usually have some sort of goofy silly 'adorable' character who always messes up or does something to 'make the kids laugh'. Snarf is annoying, Orko always messes up his spells, the Superfriends had a random monkey, etc etc.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
drgon78
Mad Scientist

That they ended.

-That the writers were so limited in what they were allowed to do.
-Very few continuing story arcs and few series got a proper ending.
-Annoying mascot characters.
-Animation and continuity mistakes.
-Action series got watered down over time.
-Censorship!!!
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The need to usually have some sort of goofy silly 'adorable' character who always messes up or does something to 'make the kids laugh'. Snarf is annoying, Orko always messes up his spells, the Superfriends had a random monkey, etc etc.
I take it back. These irk me. Especially when they start to overshadow the other characters. Slimer slowly took over The Real Ghostbusters, and I just can't stand the later seasons because of it.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Characters like Snarf and Orko actually never annoyed me, to tell you the truth.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I understand it was a different era but some mistakes are still inexcusable imo. Some mistakes are understandable but others were glaring errors like the continuity stuff.

I don’t remember NY Shiniest off the top of my head but it must have been more work to actually put in what should not reappear again.

I do remember once where Michelangelo jumps onto a ladder, the blimp I think. The animation is ok but there’s a clone standing where he was. So for these couple of frames they just didn’t care to take him out?

Reusing stuff like that He-man example is ok in comics but in animation it’s stiff and noticeable. Were they forced to do that? Did it really save that much money?

I’m bothered by some of the older Simpsons. You can see a shadow behind everyone so its apparent they’re on a separate layer and put over backgrounds. Nobody has a shadow directly behind them like a cardboard cutout.

I’ve only noticed 1 error more recently. Don’t remember the episode but Marges hair clips into the wall for moment. It looked computer animated but that’s a good thing.

I love how clean, crisp and vibrant The Simpsons have become. That goof aside it’s kind of sad how basic the animation and colors are in the really old episodes. Even at the time other cartoons had more detail.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

The only stuff that really bothered me back then was like, the wrong voices being used (Leo's voice coming out of Mikey's mouth, or whatever), or really sloppy coloring errors. Like a lot of the time on Super-Friends, with Superman's S-shield they'd invert the red and yellow parts, or they'd flip the black and yellow parts of Batman's chest emblem. Just really lazy sh*t like that that anyone with half a brain would have noticed and fixed. "They're kids, they're stupid, they won't know" kinda sh*t, basically. Because you KNOW they noticed during the editing process, they just figured the audience would be too stupid to notice or care, and that always bothered me, even as a kid.

Snarf-like sidekicks are always annoying but I'm guessing they also sold a lot of toys, or it wouldn't have become such a prevalent thing for a while.

Besides, it's not Snarf's fault that Lion-O was such a limp-wristed Nancy.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Characters like Snarf and Orko actually never annoyed me, to tell you the truth.
As a kid, I thought Orko was cool, but only a few short years later Snarf drove me nuts. But Snarf from the Cartoon Network reboot was terrific. That show needs a movie or something....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

I kinda dig Orko. His heart was in the right place.

I'm genuinely not sure whether Snarf or Lion-O was honestly more useless in the original Thundercats. Snarf was definitely more annoying upfront, but Lion-O was just infuriating in how much he LOOKED like he should've been a bad-ass but couldn't mix f*cking oatmeal without calling the whole team for help first.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There's something about the voices of villain characters that was always really grating. Especially in their sidekicks.

And then of course (especially in the case of He Man) the insistence on having as little animation as possible to keep things under budget - and on-model. Very little room for flexibility.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:57 AM   #17
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I just remembered something. I can’t be the only one to notice. It was very common in older cartoons.

A lot of times the objects that characters were set to interact with were prominently colored and brighter than the overall environment.

They stuck out even if they had not been mentioned. You could easily tell what was “in use” and what was just background.

This really does annoy me because what was so hard about drawing and coloring objects that blended well with the entire environment?

It breaks the illusion because it’s like my Simpsons example. The 2 separate layers of art are so obvious.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #18
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Orko's spells are like Donatello's knowledge of science and technology. Always there to defeat the bad guys, never there otherwise. (Orko's magic doesn't work when entertaining for a birthday party, Donatello's pizza making machine always blows up)
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #19
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I just remembered something. I can’t be the only one to notice. It was very common in older cartoons.

A lot of times the objects that characters were set to interact with were prominently colored and brighter than the overall environment.

They stuck out even if they had not been mentioned. You could easily tell what was “in use” and what was just background.

This really does annoy me because what was so hard about drawing and coloring objects that blended well with the entire environment?

It breaks the illusion because it’s like my Simpsons example. The 2 separate layers of art are so obvious.
I always noticed that especially in Tom and Jerry cartoons, never bothered me too much.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most 80’s and a lot of 90’s cartoons also lack continuity or continuing storylines. Everything was one and done besides the occasional 2-parter. Sure each show had stuff that continued, but there was no season long plots or narrative like shows today have. They did it because episodes aired out of order on TV all the time so kids can jump in at any time and not be confused.

It’s really weird to go back to a time when most shows were episodic and had no continuity or continuing season long story arcs.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote