The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #41
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Most guys on discussion boards don't get laid a lot, or they settle for girls who can't be picky/demand much from them. They therefore have much more disposable incomes.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #42
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
If Andrew was to have an alternate account, it would be his alter-ego which still loves the FW cartoon and holds the childhood memories fondly, a good way to let it out without compromising the persona of the "Mirage purist" on his main account.
Although he's been mysteriously quiet... Either he's got some explaining to do, or he missed a good opportunity to toll the little trolls...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #43
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Comics are expensive. I only read TMNT comics and buy Usagi trades and even that adds up over time. I also have entire comic drawers filled with Mirage, Archie, IDW, etc. TMNT comics and it's in stacks.

I can't imagine people who have DC, Marvel, etc. comics on top of that. How the hell do people have the money for all this? You'd have to cut back on other stuff too like movies, tv shows, videogames, or toys, etc. if you constantly buy comics.
I've always wondered that. It's partly why I wish TMNT would be released in a novel format because novels are cheaper.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #44
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Although he's been mysteriously quiet... http://i.imgur.com/XuI9ZL7.png Either he's got some explaining to do, or he missed a good opportunity to toll the little trolls...
Maybe he's having marital relations with his wife??
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:

Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #45
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
Maybe he's having marital relations with his wife??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Andrew was the true plant all along, and now his saplings are here to destroy us.
Well in that case Candy Kappa might be right and this was Andrew's fault.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #46
neatoman
Foot Elite

Why is a thread started by a such a quickly banned user still up?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I was thinking the same. Do we really need a second Andrew praising his own views?
Yes. Yes, of course we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Who says Mirage purists even started with Mirage? I find Mirage to be the "best/true" TMNT or whatever, but I started with the cartoon (or maybe one of the associated toys or videogames...been decades here) just like most people. I didn't see Mirage until...less than 10 or 15 years ago. But hell yeah it's good stuff.
No one can take away from Fred Wolf or its toddler toylines that they were excellent "gateway drugs" to TMNT, providing a pipeline into discovering Mirage, which can sustain the interest even into adulthood.

The trouble with TMNT today is, you have all these gateway drugs that are all samish... PD, IDW, the Nicktoon... all with Bebops and Rocksteadys and competing origins for Mutagen Man and Metalhead and all of that. It's all about the same, more or less. So it's a bit like, no matter which gateway drug you choose today with "Viacom's TMNT," you're just unraveling this big ball of string. You get to the end of it and you have a lap full of string, but you haven't really gone anywhere, have you? It's because there's nothing to "gateway drug" into. It's all for little kids or worse, nostalgiacs who want to be 5 years old again routinely mad at Playmates for screwing up the latest batch of toddler toys.

Quote:
Although he's been mysteriously quiet... http://i.imgur.com/XuI9ZL7.png Either he's got some explaining to do, or he missed a good opportunity to toll the little trolls...
The latter. I've been doing a lot of crabbing on the water. I saw this thread title pop up a couple of times but it seemed like it would be something political, or trite.

It does kind of seem like someone made an alt. Too bad... I could have used another member of "The Resistance."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #48
Will not be censored

You liked the Nick show in the early stages, if I am not mistaken.
Quote:

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
You liked the Nick show in the early stages, if I am not mistaken.
As I've said from the beginning, "It's not the TMNT to me, but it's fun." My daughter still enjoys it.

"Let's make a new Turtle show with TONS of mutants EVERYWHERE and make it so the ooze can even mutate PLANTS and MACHINERY!" On paper that sounds horrible. But what do you expect? It's a show for 5 year-olds.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #50
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As I've said from the beginning, "It's not the TMNT to me, but it's fun." My daughter still enjoys it.

"Let's make a new Turtle show with TONS of mutants EVERYWHERE and make it so the ooze can even mutate PLANTS and MACHINERY!" On paper that sounds horrible. But what do you expect? It's a show for 5 year-olds.
So do only have a problem with it on paper rather than in practice, or do you have a problem with it in practice but you let it slide because it's for children?
Hahahaha!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So do only have a problem with it on paper rather than in practice, or do you have a problem with it in practice but you let it slide because it's for children?
He lets it slide because his daughter enjoys it and he enjoys spending time with her.

Same reason I despise Fred Wolf TMNT but that's the show I watch with my son. Kid friendly. They're the audience, grown-ass men are not.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #52
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
He lets it slide because his daughter enjoys it and he enjoys spending time with her.

Same reason I despise Fred Wolf TMNT but that's the show I watch with my son. Kid friendly. They're the audience, grown-ass men are not.
Fair enough and I get it, but I'm asking is more like "what if your kid wasn't there watching it with you?".
Hahahaha!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #53
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:
Fair enough and I get it, but I'm asking is more like "what if your kid wasn't there watching it with you?".
Ah, got it. My bad.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #54
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
the ooze can even mutate PLANTS
Come now... it hasn't mutated plants, Snakeweed was a person, he only touched plants. But in that case, that brings to question why everyone doesn't just mutate from contact with whatever bacteria are living in their shoes, etc.

Public service announcement:
Remember to practice good hygiene unless you want to turn into a rampaging e. coli mutant monster.

Spoiler:
Raahhhh!

Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, that.

Quote:
I definitely don't watch it without her. It's not something I would waste time on. If we watch it together, it's fun to hear the thoughts she has and things that I wouldn't find funny, she finds hysterical. If it's just me by myself, I might still chuckle at some of the humor, but mostly I'd just be burning the screen with lasers from my eyes every time there's "Fred Wolf homage." Which is everywhere, more than ever.

Quote:
Come now... it hasn't mutated plants, Snakeweed was a person, he only touched plants. But in that case, that brings to question why everyone doesn't just mutate from contact with whatever bacteria are living in their shoes, etc.
Exactly. Why wouldn't you mutate into Amoeba Man? The Fred Wolf mutagen is nonsense and doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It makes even less sense in the Nick show, though there's kind of a self-aware "it's ooze from ANOTHER DIMENSION, dude! who KNOWS what it can do??" air to it there from the writers, like, "Who cares? It just mutates stuff into things. Don't overthink it." Which is fine in something like the Nick cartoon, but applied to any kind of serious take on the Turtles? It makes it all a sham.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #56
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, that.

I definitely don't watch it without her. It's not something I would waste time on. If we watch it together, it's fun to hear the thoughts she has and things that I wouldn't find funny, she finds hysterical. If it's just me by myself, I might still chuckle at some of the humor, but mostly I'd just be burning the screen with lasers from my eyes every time there's "Fred Wolf homage." Which is everywhere, more than ever.
Yeah, I don't have any family members in the target demographic and I figured out there wasn't really anything in terms of creative expression pretty early on (even for a kids' show), so I don't really know why I've bothered to watch every episode by myself. I think it have to do with the slow release schedule, if the show actually debuted episodes more frequently I might have seen it as a waste of time? As is, it seemed like a decent way to kill 20 minutes every week for 4 weeks in a row, because trying to binge the show is just tiresome.

Quote:
Exactly. Why wouldn't you mutate into Amoeba Man? The Fred Wolf mutagen is nonsense and doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It makes even less sense in the Nick show, though there's kind of a self-aware "it's ooze from ANOTHER DIMENSION, dude! who KNOWS what it can do??" air to it there from the writers, like, "Who cares? It just mutates stuff into things. Don't overthink it." Which is fine in something like the Nick cartoon, but applied to any kind of serious take on the Turtles? It makes it all a sham.
"Or a cow if you drank milk recently or a tobacco plant if you just smoked or a seagull if one took a **** on you or...". I could go on, this sort of logic would't just lead to Hamato Yoshi (or anyone else for that matter) turning into a ratman or an amoeba, he'd become some kind of Human-Rat-Turtle-Bacterium-Fungus-Tree-Salmon-Rice abomination, if not even more horrifying things.

For as much as people argue in favor of the "Splinter is Yoshi" origin, when we take stuff like this into account we're honestly better off having a rat remember martial arts moves.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-17-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #57
snake
Noided

Quote:

The trouble with TMNT today is, you have all these gateway drugs that are all samish... PD, IDW, the Nicktoon... all with Bebops and Rocksteadys and competing origins for Mutagen Man and Metalhead and all of that. It's all about the same, more or less. So it's a bit like, no matter which gateway drug you choose today with "Viacom's TMNT," you're just unraveling this big ball of string. You get to the end of it and you have a lap full of string, but you haven't really gone anywhere, have you? It's because there's nothing to "gateway drug" into. It's all for little kids or worse, nostalgiacs who want to be 5 years old again routinely mad at Playmates for screwing up the latest batch of toddler toys.
This is the cancer that will eventually kill TMNT. Enough cartoons and people will catch on that there isn't much variety in the franchise.

Could you imagine an incarnation that DOESN'T use prexisting elements outside of Splinter, the Turtles, and the Foot?
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
This is the cancer that will eventually kill TMNT. Enough cartoons and people will catch on that there isn't much variety in the franchise.

Could you imagine an incarnation that DOESN'T use prexisting elements outside of Splinter, the Turtles, and the Foot?
As a part of "Viacom's TMNT"? No, probably not.

It's like they take all of the hallmarks of the Fred Wolf stuff and "Turtlemania," sprinkle them into like a snow globe, shake it up, and poof... a new TMNT incarnation is created. Then when the flakes all are done falling (ratings fall/stops making money), just pick it back up, shake it again and repeat... poof, another TMNT incarnation.

Creatively bankrupt.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #59
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:

I don't know about that though, how many Batman, Superman, Spider-Man (pretty much any long running franchise) incarnations can you mention without pre-existing elements. The notion of making something mostly new more or less stops after a couple of decades.

Edit:

Quote:
As a part of "Viacom's TMNT"? No, probably not.

It's like they take all of the hallmarks of the Fred Wolf stuff and "Turtlemania," sprinkle them into like a snow globe, shake it up, and poof... a new TMNT incarnation is created. Then when the flakes all are done falling (ratings fall/stops making money), just pick it back up, shake it again and repeat... poof, another TMNT incarnation.

Creatively bankrupt.
Oh, creatively killed? Yeah, more or less. The best we can hope for is that Viacom stops caring about what pre-existing material creators put in, allowing for TMNT to have a more healthy relation to pre-existing material, rather than just a mindless attempt to recreate marketing strategies of the late 80's.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-17-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: I might have misinterpreted some statements.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #60
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life

Quote:

I can, easily. I'd love a street-level, realistic take with no mutants except the Turtles, Splinter, Leatherhead, and Old Hob. Foot Clan. Utroms. No time travel, no weirdness, just mutants hiding in a city, scraping together money, stealing food and supplies by cover of night, at war with the shadows and the Foot Clan. THAT would be prime TMNT for me.

Mirage/Image, but without the superheroes, the dimension hopping, the cyborgs, the time travelling. And WITH a greater focus on the existential needs and how hard it would be to find when you can't get a job or go into the 7-11 for beer and bandaids.

Been thinking of posting a "would anyone else like (idea)?" thread but haven't seen much point into it...