The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What's better to say on Easter with your previous generations?
They still got it after 20 years of absence in the roles. 37 31.62%
Where the heck did you get pizza? 6 5.13%
Splinter.... we miss you! 12 10.26%
Crazy mayhem courtesy of our resident prime Turtles. 6 5.13%
Even in animation, Megan Fox can't catch a break. 11 9.40%
Fun, but can we get back to the plot? 5 4.27%
Only 22 minutes? Come on, should have been more! 40 34.19%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #21
Vicky82
Emperor

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, that was awesome

So in the 80s dimension, this episode happened before Wormquake.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #22
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Fun episode. Although did '87 Krang sound like Chris Griffin to anybody else?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

This episode reminded me of why I love the Nick show
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It was pretty good. They made fun of the 80s lame fighting but they actually kicked more ass in the nick world. When 80s Leo punched a Kraang. It reminded me that they hardly ever punch anything in the 80s show.

Still a little messed up that krang was banished from Nick dimension x. It was an interesting idea but that means 80s krang was from Nick dimension x all along..

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #25
cryan
Stone Warrior

Unlike turtles forever, I liked the fact the writers treated the FW Turtles with dignity this time and not completely ridiculed them. The beginning though was a bit painful but the ending of the episode was great.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Pretty cool episode. I only wish it were actually a 2 parter like some wished for because it just seemed to zip by pretty quick. Would've liked to see Bebop, Rocksteady and Shredder but that will be coming up eventually.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #27
Vicky82
Emperor

IGN review up

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/03/2...turtles-review

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I can offer so much praise for this episode. Hearing Pat as Krang for the first time in 20 years (WOAH. It's been exactly 20 years since the OT went off the air!) had me geeking out, the 2D animation was surprisingly really good particularly in the fight scene between the two turtle teams, everyone was incredibly in-character (I almost expected OT Donnie to cry, "Aw, that was my favorite Bo!"), the scene with the Mirage comic Turtles with the hilarious payoff, the Megan Fox joke, and that Splinter scene that hits ya right where it hurts.

While it's definitely the best of Season 4 so far (it even addresses one of my overall problems with the season in the first minute!), this episode does still run into its fair share of problems. Like how rushed it sometimes feels. Scenes often feel "cut short," and just feel like hallow shells (no pun intended) of actual scenes.

With an additional 6 episodes being added on to this season out of nowhere, you'd think they would rewrite the episode as a two-parter, seeing as how it's so jam-packed with so much information and material, it feels very crowded as a 22-minute episode. Still a great episode, nonetheless. Even if you take out the whole novelty of the OT TMNT and Krang returning to the small screen, it still has very sharp writing, among the sharpest in the series thus far, and the story had me on the edge of my seat.

9/10
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

That was fabulous. LOVE that they connected Krang to their universe's brain-goons. It's official canon as far as this guy's concerned! Super faithful adaptions, though Raph was more abrasive than his original counterpart. It worked considering the context & angle they were going for. Townsend was easily the standout performer, they all did wonderfully, but his Michelangelo did not miss a beat. Absolutely perfect! I fanboyed over how many Turtles In Time references they threw in there, that was awesome. We can all agree that's easily one of if not the best rendition of the FW turtles & associated works, right? I can't believe they managed to cram all that into one episode without it feeling too rushed, like, whoa, kudos! Perfect pacing. I guess more time for fan-service would've been nice, but fan-service is fan-service. I FEEL YOU LEO, I FEEL YOU. ;~; I've missed Splinter too... Makes me wonder if that's the last of the past-selves close encounter sorta stuff, though, & of course a part of me is like "Eh? Surely Splinter would ask them about the conflict's resolution whenever they get home from their patrol, so what happened there?" but I guess I've just gotta dismiss it.

I f**king love Gilbert Gottfried. I can't help but gush about him every time Kraang-Sub-Prime makes an appearance. Even among such an iconic cast in such an epic feature, he stole the show. The Megan Fox joke had me rolling. Too funny.

Mirage turtles were cool. Nicely rendered.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Also notice how 80s Leo actually gave orders and acted like a leader. In forever he was just there.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #31
TurFlytle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
If they wanted to do that, they could have got Seth Green.
TurFlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #32
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

(Poll is up btw)

Even though the plot took a back seat... damn, this was a great throwback. The return of the original cast, the jokes, soooo much good this time. Besides Barry Gordon personally, the rest of the cast still has it 20 years later. The Turtle chemistry was awesome too, especially the Michelangelos; only one I wish we saw more of was the Raphaels, especially because Paulsen's Raph was aggressive this time (Red Sky attitude much? ). Don't want to go crazy, but there were just a few things that personally hurt it from being one of the best of the series for me.

My main issue though is what Sabacooza brought up and Aaronardo said as well, I do feel it zipped by a little quickly, especially the ending fight between the two Turtle teams, Sub-Prime and Krang. That and the animation in Fred Wolf didn't do it for me either. Other than those two things, it was immensely entertaining and is how you treat the property with love and care. With both sides perfectly balanced in a crossover and working well together, I honestly can't complain.

I'll give the episode an 8.5 out of 10, if the pacing didn't feel too quick I'd give it a higher ranking. By far among the best this season so far!
Old 03-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #33
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

I wished the Mirage turtles actually got line though, not speaking lines but maybe text bubbles. And I also wish we got to see Sub Prime in the Mirage dimension too. But other than that and the fact that it was rushed I loved this episode.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I noticed something peculiar, when TigerClaw comes right out from that worm, he has the eye patch on, if I remember, he didn't had the eye patch when he was swallowed by it.

continuity is a bit screwed there.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #35
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It was kinda clever how they did it though. Basically taking actual comic panels from issue 1 and somehow making it work. I read issue one so many times I recognized every panel.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #36
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
Nope, sounded just like he always did.

Now 2012 Leo, he does sounds like a deeper voiced Chris Griffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Makes me wonder if that's the last of the past-selves close encounter sorta stuff, though, & of course a part of me is like "Eh? Surely Splinter would ask them about the conflict's resolution whenever they get home from their patrol, so what happened there?" but I guess I've just gotta dismiss it.
Maybe not. Leo was able to say enough about the present wasn't the present, and this Splinter is highly deductive, so he probably gleaned the Turtles before him weren't *his* Turtles, especially how his final exchange to them before heading through the portal could be implied that, while Splinter may not know what's going to happen, he understood what they were doing has grave consequences for the bigger picture. Then again, I could be looking deeper into what's effectively a shallow pan of oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
I wished the Mirage Turtles actually got line though, not speaking lines but maybe text bubbles. And I also wish we got to see Sub Prime in the Mirage dimension too. But other than that and the fact that it was rushed I loved this episode.
We didn't get to see it because the next scene is likely the Mirage Turtles killing him, especially as seeing this is before they actually met the Utroms.

Last edited by Venom; 03-27-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #37
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Good episode, loved the "turtle power" joke, and it was nice to ear those classic voices and background music again.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #38
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

That was fun. Great hearing the old cast back in the saddle again and loved all the little touches like the '87 Turtles rarely using their weapons, the slight animation/voice flubs in the '87 dimension, and all the small video game references. The Turtle Prime scene was also really fun from an animation standpoint, though I wish they had done just a liiiiittle bit more with it.

Though, Krang being revealed as a banished member of THE Kraang was strange continuity-wise with the old show, with all the time and dimensional travel, the ending confused me, and it REALLY would've benefited from being a two-parter. It was a little bit rushed.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #39
pannoni1
Foot Elite

What a treat for Easter, even better than the time traveling episode from that old VHS that I got 24 years ago where we encounter the "over-the-hill" Turtles. Well, other than Barry Gordon's Don starting to sound a little like that old age counterpart, the rest of the classic voice cast (take that, 4kids!) was spot on, and the interaction between the two generations was handled so much better than the unofficial 2K3 finale. The Mirage portion was another added bonus, and it felt even more true with the moving panels and lack of voices during the climax. While the FW characters still were suffered to that lameness including a pun by Leo, 1987 Krang showed that he could still provide tricks that weren't even in the original series, in the form of a jetpack and more efficient control in his size.

Now I know you wanted a two-parter, but with just three episodes left in the Space arc, we need at least one for the third crystal piece and preferably two for the final battle (a one-hour special would be preferred) as the Turtles try to save Earth from the black hole. Its a good reason why I'm still a TMNT fan.

Overall: 9/10

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #40
SKX31
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I still stand by my word on it, even though great to hear them return one more time to the roles, I still feel Barry Gordon's Donatello voice hasn't aged too well. The others still sound amazing, but Barry.... eh I get it's his age but it does distract a little.

Really liking how the Michelangelos get along well due to Fred Wolf Michelangelo, makes me smile. Then again, I do kinda feel Townsend is among the best Mikes over the franchise voice wise, tied with Robbie personally.
It might be just rust though - you have old VAs like John de Lancie who can pull off very similar roles without a hitch (Q to Discord), and guys like Tim Curry and Tony Jay who just have / had such an presence that they can make people fangasm if they ever are in a scene together. Mel Blanc and Frank Welker don't count, since they're pretty much VA gods. Compare John's IMDB page to Barry's, for example (the hypothesis is admittedly pulled out of thin air, but still). And the two were born on the same year (1948 ) even.
SKX31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion