The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'm still in the midst of watching the show so...update!
At this point I think season 3 is my weakest season. This is going to sound idiotic but it started going down hill when I noticed they replaced Leonardo's voice actor. I'm weird like that. I hate that Leo is trying to sound like kid batman now. So safe to say I'm not the biggest fan of Seth Green's depiction of Leo. As far as the farm episodes go they were hit or miss. I liked some but I think a couple of them should have been sacrificed to focus more on the team preparing to return to the city, instead of that all happening in one episode.

I have the least amount of investment in what is going on since the Kraang was defeated. I thought I'd care more about the Shredder but honestly I realize the Kraang posed a much more interesting threat. The writers try their best to make Shredder seem threatening but he just isn't. Constantly resorting to 87 Shredder tactics to get the job done. I.E. relying wholly on bumbling idiot minions who constantly fail him. At least when the Kraang did something, succeed or fail, they did it themselves. Karai is reduced to a mere damsel who is only dangerous some of the time but not really, and I have no idea why one off mutants are still showing up. (Like that disgusting garbage mutant. Very uninteresting and pointless. Mondo Gecko is okay though.). Hopefully season 4 and 5 will be better. I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2.

On a side note: Fourfold Trap is one of this season's best episodes. (Seeing Splinter walking on a hamster wheel is fun. I guess this is a method of stress relief.)

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 06-20-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #22
newfan
Mad Scientist

I actually prefer Green, not greatly though, for me Biggs suited young starting out Leo and Greens deeper voice kinda went later on with Leo's character having grown.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I suppose but to me, my problem isn't all in the voice change but also his character/personality change. Which sucks because I know this has to happen. Every. Single. Time. Leo is the one who basically has to be angsty, bland, and uninteresting because the weight of leadership changes him. At the start of it this Leo was probably my favorite depiction of all the non comic book Leos. It is annoying how many people take "grown up" to mean "harsh and boring".

^^^^
Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I suppose but to me, my problem isn't all in the voice change but also his character/personality change. Which sucks because I know this has to happen. Every. Single. Time. Leo is the one who basically has to be angsty, bland, and uninteresting because the weight of leadership changes him. At the start of it this Leo was probably my favorite depiction of all the non comic book Leos. It is annoying how many people take "grown up" to mean "harsh and boring".
Oh, okay, Leo's over all character. I don't know, he did grow and gain more responsibility by the end but I don't think he looses his geeky side over all.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #25
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Oh, okay, Leo's over all character. I don't know, he did grow and gain more responsibility by the end but I don't think he looses his geeky side over all.
Well there is something he says in "Dinosaur Seen in Sewers" that restores my faith a little.

^^^^
Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Wasn't the Nickelodeon series merchandising big already some months before the series began?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #27
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Considering the type of show tmnt is and also considering Rise already has toys in production (though i'm not sure if they are already on shelves), then yeah without a doubt.

^^^^
Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #28
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Think it's a good show
When I first started I didn't like it but it's very witty at times and the more you watch it the more it appeals
Still.. needs to be more mirage based and true to the comics but then it would just appeal to us old fans
Old 07-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #29
psychturtle
Mad Scientist

I’m wondering when we will get the full Blu-ray series collector set. Bee waiting for a while.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #30
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hated the show. It didn't know what it wanted to be, so in some regards the anthology season was a perfect fit for it.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #31
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Wasn't the Nickelodeon series merchandising big already some months before the series began?
The toy line hit it pretty big when it started. That's all I know, I wanna say it slowly decreased in popularity as time passed but I frankly don't know for sure.

I think initially surpassed the mixed to negative reactions first looks sparked. I think Season 1 was everything a TMNT show needed to be and it just fell apart after that, a sentiment others have already echoed in this thread. That said, I think there was a lot of panic in 2011-2012 that this wouldn't be "faithful" to the franchise or whatever, and I think in that regard in went above and beyond what people were expecting. It went so far I think it started to lose its own identity, but nevertheless, expectations were surpassed.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:58 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno if I'd say I "hated" it, but I definitely tapped out midway through Season 1. The Donnie/April stuff was way too annoying and it ruined the entire experience for me with how cringe-y it was. I heard they toned it down later on but by then I didn't see any point going back to it, given all that I'd missed. I'd just have to sit through the earlier episodes to have any idea what was going on, and I didn't feel like it.

It was also the first TMNT series where I didn't obsessively collect the DVDs as soon as they came out. I still only have the first couple.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 09-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #33
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Watching the entire series felt like a chore for me most of the time, especially the first half of Season 3. Towards the end of Season 4, it seemed like the show was finally getting better and I was getting more enjoyment out of the episodes, but it was too little too late for that.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #34
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I loved it. I agree the first half of S3 with the horror stuff got old fast and Greg Cipes Mikey got really annoying.Other than that it was good.I too want a blu ray release
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #35
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I can't speak for anybody else but I loved the whole thing, the fact that the Turtles themselves all had different looks was a big contributor.

I thought having Greg Cipes as Michelangelo was perfect casting and there were plenty of episodes in which Michelangelo was proven to be way smarter than he let on. Cipes' voice acting worked perfectly for those episodes.

People have been complaining about April becoming Kunoichi over night, seeing as how the actual dialogue of the episodes reveal that it took her at least four full years (of which one was in space) to achieve that status.

Tragedies?
- Shinigami. There was so much they could have done with her, I mean, eastern witchcraft, the ability to change into a cat or into a bat, there was so much potential for greatness but she was turned into the series version of Yamcha, very easily bested and she never won a single battle in the remainder of the series.
- Don Visciozo. Okay to have the Mafia being in the series is a natural progression of the fact that Shredder is the head of a very big criminal enterprise with Xever leading the Afro-Latin gangs, Bradford leading the Foot ninjas themselves and Steranko leading the illegal weapons trade. But then to make the Don into this very "Pizza the hutt" kind of person with a Sylvester Stalone look alike as his body guard was weak. No background story, no redeeming features with the guy.
- The Pulverizer/ Mutagen man. We can still see how much it must have hurt Donatello that he failed to save Timothy from himself. Splinter gave him full responsibility over what happened and knowing that he couldn't save Timothy and the character was seemingly forgotten for the remainder of the series. It would have been so much better to have some kind of closure. In My "Karai versus Karai" fancomic, I had Bishop using Kraang tech to bring Timothy back.
- The whole "Mutant apocalypse" special, what the hell, why would a Mad Max rip-off be the way to end the series?

Triumphs?
- The fact that Splinter wasn't a Yoda-type of character and that he was in his fourties rather than being in his seventies. The fact that he was seen clowning around with the Turtles and disciplined them with actual corporal punishment through pushing pressure points (Raphael and Leonardo in "MOUSERS attack" and Raph again in "Slash and Destroy") and Randori ("I think his name is Baxter Stockman") made it clear that this version of Splinter was nobody to be trifled with.
- Karai. this gave us the classic "Romeo and Juliet" story line. I loved how she and Leonardo were feeding off of each other, one driving the other on. Karai also gave this series it's own Catwoman to Leo's Batman. Certainly in the fourth season, it became so clear how much each had grown thanks to the other. There was nothing forced about it.

Episode wise...
- I'd say the Kraang invasion episodes with which season 2 ended. They were awesome, the fight of Leonardo against the Foot came straight from the Mirage comics.
- The season 5 "Lone rat and Cubs" episode. Whenever I have people asking me what episodes they should watch of the 2012 series, I'd always tell them "Watch that one BEFORE, you start watching the first season."
- "Tale of the Yokai" That was one of the most epic of the season four episodes. The fact that Splinter (well, Hamato Yoshi) was a bit of a braggart and a jerk, made him all the more human (pun intended.) I also love baby Karai tugging Leo's mask, as if she KNEW already.
And of course:
- All the Easter Eggs. I can watch the episodes so many times and discover something new that I missed.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Majority was great, although each season had a few bad episodes. It was the perfect mix of humor, action and darkness.

My real concern is how the CG will look in a few years. Like if I revisit the show 10 years from now, I hope the CG doesn't look too dated where it looks bad to watch. Hopefully we get a blu-ray release soon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
sdp
-

Some of the CG already looked dated when it first aired, obviously the turtles look great as do other main characters, but random humans among other characters? Not so much. Not to mention seeing how empty the streets are and details like those such as re-using assets.

The show is heavily flawed, overrated and my least fav. animated interpretation (not counting Rise since it's new), they overdid the horror crap, April was horrible, many misses with their story arcs. Despite all that I still think it was a good show.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

I truly enjoy the first season or two, but fell off soon after that. I can't truly tell you why, because I haven't seen many of the later episodes. Perhaps the writing lost my attention, because as far as I've heard, the animation improved over time. At times, the show balanced humor, action, and even elements of drama quite well.

When it comes to ranking the cartoons, I'd probably give the original toon the top spot, after all this time.
There was a time that it would have been either this show or 2k3 - both of which I totally appreciate and can enjoy - but at the end of the day, both of those shows feel like compromises to the Mirage stories.
The Fred Wolf toon seems to be comfortable in it's own skin - it doesn't ask me to take it seriously, so there's no disappointment when crooks start wielding laser guns and Leonardo uses his swords to knock down an isle of cereal on a crook. It's just fun and irreverent, with some cool character designs and memorable music. If I want something with more depth, I'll go to the Mirage comics, not a Saturday morning cartoon.

That said, I really do have some love for all three.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #39
sdp
-

I never understood the love for the first season, it's ok at best. All the world building they did with each season is what made the show great for me, some character design choices and the horror boner the writers had are the biggest problems IMHO.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I never understood the love for the first season, it's ok at best. All the world building they did with each season is what made the show great for me, some character design choices and the horror boner the writers had are the biggest problems IMHO.
The second season was way better, the animation was better, the characters' movements were smoother, Michelangelo was shown to have some depth to his character. I LOVE the Dimension X episode.

We got to meet Slash, Casey Jones, Newtralizer and got to see why the Kraang were after April.

I loved Karai in the second season, as I said before, the interaction with her and Leonardo which turned romantic in season four, was natural, not forced in a "Leonardo HAS to get a girlfriend" kind of way. They handled the fact that both of them are teens very well, that awkwardness and that banter.

Yes, the 2012 series sure put the "Teenage" into "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"