The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Igglet

What do you think is the greatest moment in IDW TMNT?

/10chaaaaar

Last edited by Igglet; 03-10-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

For me, it's Mikey landing a solid hit on Splinter by elbowing him in the face during their fight for the fate of the orphan kids. There's a lot to process and unpack in that one panel, with everything that led up to that moment and everything that's bound to come after.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I’ve barely read since issue #50, but it has to be issue #5 for me, with the reincarnation aspect revealed - a brilliant way to set this series apart from other versions.

It’s not that I want this to become the standard for all future TMNT tales, but it does add a great wrinkle to the story, along with giving the book a sense of scale and scope that other renditions of TMNT don’t quite have.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-29-2018 at 09:19 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
I think that was the first origin of Turtles that really managed to find a good blend between the mutant and the ninja stuff. It's weird as Hell but, honestly, that's absolutely what TMNT should be.
Definite agreement on the bolded. I love the street-level aspects of TMNT, no doubt about that, but I'm never opposed to it going psychedelic, supernatural, or just plain strange.

And I also love the mundane, couch-potato, slice-of-life aspects of TMNT...but there's something so grand about a gang of ninja's taking on four reincarnated brothers in the bodies of mutated turtles, atop a New York city skyline at 1 a.m. in the morning, to conclude a battle that has been brewing for hundreds of years.

It's a really fun angle.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
AlessandraDC
Thug

That Mikey vs Splinter scene was really damn good. It's a spin on both of those characters and I thought it was very well written. In so many incarnations Mikey just doesn't get developed much beyond the "party dude" so I was really excited to see him get a really good pivotal moment.
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
For me, it's gotta be Splinter becoming the leader of the Foot Clan. It was not only the most unexpected thing that happened in the entire run in my opinion, it also absolutely defined the story going forward in a way that I absolutely love.
I agree with this. & specifically that he did so by beheading Shredder. Showed the book had balls. Of course, that death may not have been permanent... but comics gonna comic.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

"Mike has a plan! He knows what he's doing!"
<WHACK>
"Oh...oh sh*t oh no"

I was recently at a comic shop and upon spotting the issue, only picked it up to look at that scene in my hands rather than on a screen.

Absolute magnificence.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I like how, in a world with aliens and reincarnated mutant ninjas, the common consensus on the greatest moment in the entire run is a kid elbowing his dad.
You'll always and consistently write a great story if you pepper the outlandishness of your setting and characters, no matter how absurd they may seem on paper, with very emotional, very human moments that manage to resonate with your readers. This is one of those moments.

Quote:
Actually, I lied, I don't like it, I love it. Best moment in TMNT history, fight me.
No. You'll just elbow me in the face too.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Secret History of the Foot Clan is still the best thing IDW has ever produced. I can't believe how much it still holds up given it came out relatively early in the IDW run.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
AlessandraDC
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
You'll always and consistently write a great story if you pepper the outlandishness of your setting and characters, no matter how absurd they may seem on paper, with very emotional, very human moments that manage to resonate with your readers. This is one of those moments.
Absolutely!! And that's good writing in my opinion. When you can have this green mutant turtle super hero and as a reader, you can empathize with what he's going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Secret History of the Foot Clan is still the best thing IDW has ever produced. I can't believe how much it still holds up given it came out relatively early in the IDW run.
It slipped my mind earlier, but this is definitely one of my favorite issues too and has one of my all-time favorite battles scenes - the sequence between Leo and Raph vs Karai. So so good.

Another really good moment, since I am a big fan of Leonardo, was the Turtles in Time Leo-centric issue. I didn't love the art, but the story had that more adult, dark feel to it that I love.
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
I like how, in a world with aliens and reincarnated mutant ninjas, the common consensus on the greatest moment in the entire run is a kid elbowing his dad.

Actually, I lied, I don't like it, I love it. Best moment in TMNT history, fight me.
Gotta agree. As a Mike fan before IDW, this series has made me super happy.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
daggio
Foot Soldier

For me, it's a toss up. The issue where we are introduced to all of the Pantheon, and we find out what the scheme has been all along is one. The other is the end of issue #50 with Krang and Sulfurch. For me that brings out what the reincarnation was all about, that Krang wanted to use Yoshi and his four sons against Shredder some day (that's just my interpretation).

Last edited by daggio; 12-28-2018 at 04:29 PM.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'd probably have to say "Secret History of the Foot Clan" as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
You know, I wonder if we're ever going to learn more about that plot twist at the end of #50. Some more info could put the entire universe into context.
I wonder myself. Even if I'm wrong in my interpretation, something was up with taking their DNA and QNA (whatever that is). Maybe we'll find out Baxter swiped the DNA and creates a Dark turtle team like Dark Leo but all 4... and a dark Splinter
Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
For me, it's Mikey landing a solid hit on Splinter by elbowing him in the face during their fight for the fate of the orphan kids. There's a lot to process and unpack in that one panel, with everything that led up to that moment and everything that's bound to come after.
You know, this may be it for me. It softens the Bishop twist that disappointed me. It was also the result of the most unexpected twist, Splinter leading the Foot after Karai urged him to. Perhaps Karai changed her mind as we will see her return next issue, but despite Mike whining and not liking violence or change stood up to his father and I reacted the same way Donatello did.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #16
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ma'riell is still there though. And Ch'rell having been Krang's right hand.

I don't know why they established Sulfurch when they could easily have used Ch'rell, Kleve, or Montuoro, but I think the reveal will still work fine without Krang. Especially since Ma'riell was so closely involved; she probably would have more familiarity with the project than Krang did, as the head scientist behind it. Krang just ordered it to go through and moved on to something else while he waited.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
2K3
Foot Soldier

Here's my top 10 moments:

10 - Massacre of the Savate Ninja
9 - Donatello's "fall" and rebirth
8 - Turtles reaction of Fugitoid's appearance
7 - Raphael/ Alopex Northampton moment
6 - The Debut of Pantheon family
5 - Dark Leo
4 - Splinter beheads Shredder
3 - Bebop and Rocksteady VS Turtles + Mutanimals
2 - Brainwashed Slash attacks the Mutanimals
1 - Leatherhead eats Krang
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #18
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3 View Post
Here's my top 10 moments:

10 - Massacre of the Savate Ninja
9 - Donatello's "fall" and rebirth
8 - Turtles reaction of Fugitoid's appearance
7 - Raphael/ Alopex Northampton moment
6 - The Debut of Pantheon family
5 - Dark Leo
4 - Splinter beheads Shredder
3 - Bebop and Rocksteady VS Turtles + Mutanimals
2 - Brainwashed Slash attacks the Mutanimals
1 - Leatherhead eats Krang
That last one I think is the reason that we will see a Leatherhead/Ch'rell confrontation at some point in the future. Maybe in two years.