The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That was your first mistake.

I think just about every partner I've had has had a casual enjoyment of the TMNT, or at least doesn't care that it's one of my fandoms. I've always dated other fandom people though, I don't date anyone that isn't in a fandom, I can't relate at all. What do people that don't do fan stuff even do with their time. How boring of an existence.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
What do people that don't do fan stuff even do with their time.
Probably still subscribe to the notion that adulthood is supposed to be boring. How sad.

In a day and age where many at the very least geek out over popular series like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc., if someone doesn't have, at minimum, at least one thing along those lines that they're at least a little passionate about... Wow. Reading the stock market numbers in the Wall Street Journal every day is probably the most interesting they get. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Probably still subscribe to the notion that adulthood is supposed to be boring. How sad.
i don't think you need to be in a fandom to have an interesting life.

but you SHOULD have some kind of passion that drives you to do something special.

just existing and being nice to each other is fine. but where is the fun in that?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

In a day and age where many at the very least geek out over popular series like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc., if someone doesn't have, at minimum, at least one thing along those lines that they're at least a little passionate about... Wow. Reading the stock market numbers in the Wall Street Journal every day is probably the most interesting they get. lol
Hey, there's actually people like that out there. They don't enjoy movies, television shows... just as one example, I know more than a couple in real life whose seemingly sole passion is just coming home, turning on the news and, like, spending hours getting worked up watching political commentators pointing out all the things Trump did or said wrong on a given day and how "Any day now!!!" he's going to be impeached and/or in prison. It never happens, of course, so they just keep getting madder and madder everyday.

It's not healthy, really.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #25
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
That was your first mistake.
I disagree.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Hey, there's actually people like that out there. They don't enjoy movies, television shows... just as one example, I know more than a couple in real life whose seemingly sole passion is just coming home, turning on the news and, like, spending hours getting worked up watching political commentators pointing out all the things Trump did or said wrong on a given day and how "Any day now!!!" he's going to be impeached and/or in prison. It never happens, of course, so they just keep getting madder and madder everyday.

It's not healthy, really.
I agree, it's not. Political drama and gossip is best left as a guilty pleasure or aggravation in small doses... then balanced with other better interests to counter it. But some people seem to enjoy having something to be mad about and actively hunt for it. Too toxic to be a daily thing though imo.

More along the lines of the thread topic...

I'm kind of torn on whether or not I'd want a significant other to be into TMNT. It might be nice to share the interest, but on the other hand, having it as your own thing might be nicer. I might rather that they liked and respected it, maybe enough to name a fave Turtle, but it just wasn't something they were particularly big on, and via versa with their own fan interest. Now, if a guy can't respect it, or worse, belittles it, even if he thinks it's only harmless teasing, then it's not going to work out, sorry.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

My ex was a fan and we talked about the 2003 series in college all of the time when it aired. Nowadays, when I e-mail him and try to get him involved in a conversation about anything or ask him anything, he ignores me. So, I've decided to just stay single and live that way forever. Much easier for me and there's no shame in being single anyway.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
My ex was a fan and we talked about the 2003 series in college all of the time when it aired. Nowadays, when I e-mail him and try to get him involved in a conversation about anything or ask him anything, he ignores me. So, I've decided to just stay single and live that way forever.
That's a pretty defeatist attitude.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #29
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Can you really blame her though?
Sometimes no matter how much you hope and try things just don't work out the way you wanted.
You gave it your best, but maybe your best wasn't good enough.
Seems to me like accepting that some things'll never happen is better than to continue trying and continueing the pain.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Sometimes no matter how much you hope and try things just don't work out the way you wanted.
Seems to me like accepting that some things'll never happen is better than to continue trying and continueing the pain.
Join a gym, feel better about yourself. Come back swinging. Lots of eligible crazy people out there that love TMNT that would date y'all, if that's the criteria you're looking at.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #31
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
No, it isn't. I feel that since I don't want to get married or have children, there's really no point in me having a relationship. I like being alone better than being with people anyway and I just said there's no shame in being single. If it was a defeatist attitude, I would be crying about it and I'm not going to do that.

Quote:
Join a gym, feel better about yourself. Come back swinging. Lots of eligible crazy people out there that love TMNT that would date y'all, if that's the criteria you're looking at.
I don't need to join a gym and don't want to. This isn't a weight issue or me thinking that I don't look good enough for a guy to look at me. I just don't want to waste time with something that isn't going to go anywhere. Being single works for me and it gives me the freedom to do what I want to do.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #32
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I don't need to join a gym and don't want to.
I think he was referring to DestronMirage22 - that he should join a gym.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #33
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I already go to the gym. Anyways how would that help me in my current situation? It's kinda a weird suggestion. I'm not exactly fat, so there's no issue with that. And besides, what would be the point in changing that of myself if I was fat? Shouldn't a love interest care for me as I am?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #34
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
And besides, what would be the point in changing that of myself if I was fat? Shouldn't a love interest care for me as I am?
To some extent, they should accept you as you are. Other times it might be necessary to make compromises, if it's something that would be detrimental to the relationship and cause a lot of conflict.

For example, one person might want to engage in sexual activities, the other might be uncomfortable with their body and not want to be seen naked by someone else.

Last edited by Stephen; 05-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #35
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i don't think you need to be in a fandom to have an interesting life.
Never said that but I wouldn't be able to date them which is what this was about
Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I kinda like that requirement... Change "What's your sign?" into "What's your fandom?" (On a broad basis of what that might mean.) That might be a better compatibility indicator.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #37
sdp
-

We've had this thread before, basically yes being a fan of anything geeky even if it's more acceptable now will not necessarily go very well if your significant other is not into geeky entertainment. Which in my case I prefer my significant other not to be too into as I tend to have more things in common.

I mean especially if you have a huge collection of memorabilia, and yeah the general reaction depends on the person, some don't care, some make it an issue and most don't necessarily understand it but can live with it.

Quote:
Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Oh... TMNT. Huh. Really?"

"Yeah, they're cool."

"Yeah, I used to like the cartoon. When I was 5."

"No, no no, not that. I don't like that at all."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.

I can imagine the new friend being even more freaked out by Andrew's geeky ass explanation of why he doesn't like those turtles than him actually liking the turtles.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #38
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think it's healthy for everybody to have their thing, be it music, movies, a TV/comics/video game fandom, sports, politics, art, fashion, pets, whatever, people need an outlet for expression. It's always possible to take it too far though, but the other end is those people who do nothing, are not interesting and give the impression that they'd taste like wet paper if they were a flavor

Quote:
While there's nothing wrong with being single and content I would also urge you not to write off the possibility of ever finding someone! I think the trick lies in part in not seeking out someone, but simply allowing yourself opportunities for chance encounters and whatnot, and that may mean coming out of your shell a bit (see what I did there?? ) If you find that you spend a lot of time at home, try to get out more, either the bookstore or library or community events, and just don't be afraid to talk to people and don't put any pressure on yourself.

A relationship with the wrong person can be hell but when you find someone that is right for you, it can be the best thing in the world. "Love is the sweetest thing" and all that jazz
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #39
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
politics,...pets
Tell you what though, the politic, relgion, pet, and kid people on FB are lucky I don't post Turtle stuff much at all (usually only indirectly related), and esp not at the same rate as they share those topics. Now that would look a bit much. lol Why is it normal for other things??

But maybe I should do that. For every overshare of a pets or children... here's a pic of one of my Turtle figures in return.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #40
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Ah, I see. Didn't catch that.