The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Marlboro to stop making cigarettes

https://wrno.iheart.com/content/2019...hXG7omL-Tej6yA

Whew. It's a good thing I switched to Camel 10 years ago!
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
BartAllen
Stone Warrior

That's a sound marketing strategy for continued business.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I guess Phillip Morris image has gotten too tainted with their trigger-happy lawsuits against countries that use neutral tobacco packages and ban smoking in certain areas, like Uruguay, Australia and Norway. Now they try even harder to be seen as progressive, their 'Don't Be a Maybe' slogan was a hilarious attempt to reach young people.

Hopefully for smokers, Phillip Morris gets their new poison on shelves before the remaining stock runs out, cause people get real freaky when their cigs isn't in the store.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #4
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

Iíve always found anti-smoking to be a huge waste of effort, as well intentioned as they are, because you only need to know 1 word when it comes to smoking...cancer.

If thatís not enough to keep a person from even trying it youíre the one risking your health. Obviously cigarettes should just be stopped altogether but no company can literally make you smoke.

I have never had the desire to smoke anything.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Not a fan of tobacco either, it reeks even when it's in it's packaging.

My dad quit smoking years ago when the prices went up, but 2 of my brothers are using tobacco, the oldest is using snus after succumbing to stress with exams and the other is using rolling tobacco like a old trucker And since he lives in one of the most hillbilly-sh cities he could easily buy his own tobacco even though the was under-age, he recently turned 18 so now he can finally buy legally tobacco
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
BartAllen
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Iíve always found anti-smoking to be a huge waste of effort, as well intentioned as they are, because you only need to know 1 word when it comes to smoking...cancer.

If thatís not enough to keep a person from even trying it youíre the one risking your health. Obviously cigarettes should just be stopped altogether but no company can literally make you smoke.

I have never had the desire to smoke anything.
I smoked a little when I was younger. Nicotine is damn addictive. What caused me to finally quit was when I noticed I had discolored fingers from holding the cigarette.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 AM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

It took my aunt almost 20 years to die from emphysema. No thanks. Everybody thinks it's not gonna be a big deal, until it is. She went to her grave calling her kids stupid for not quitting. "But Mom, we're stressed out because you're so sick! That's why we smoke!". "Don't gimme that sh*t! YOU'RE stressed out?! Jesus! You're gonna be stressed out when YOUR dumb ass is lugging this thing around, I can tell ya that for nothin'!" (Shakes oxygen tank)

No bueno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:48 AM   #8
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

The smell is bad but thatís the least of it.

I have some family who smokes. They stopped I think but went back to it.

I just donít see how smokers pretty much donít care about the health risks. Itís not simple stuff like fatty foods or something. Itís incurable diseases.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #9
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

My maternal grandpa died from lung cancer, he was also a mason so, y'know that probably didn't help either with little to no safety regulations back in the day. But smoking was at fault according to the doctor. Grandma still smokes, but I think she views it at useless to quit now as she's turning 80 this year.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

If you have ever been at arm's length away from someone coughing up a black tar-like substance mixed with what may or may not be lung... It's a pretty good deterrent.

My mom died of other causes before her sister was diagnosed but they started showing symptoms around the same time. Sh*t's gross, I don't get it. Plus, addiction is slavery but that's a whole other thing.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #11
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

I have family that died from cancer. Not from smoking. Other causes. Still even way before that I never felt like trying it.

Weíve probably all seen them but those old Flintstone smoking and drinking ads are hilarious. I understand it was a different time and the cartoon was meant for adult viewers but still.

I just read it wasnít til the 40s and 50s that cigarettes were known for causing cancer. Even in the 60s some doctors didnít acknowledge it. So I guess it was like a transition period of some believing it or thinking it wasnít a big deal.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I have family that died from cancer. Not from smoking. Other causes. Still even way before that I never felt like trying it.

Weíve probably all seen them but those old Flintstone smoking and drinking ads are hilarious. I understand it was a different time and the cartoon was meant for adult viewers but still.

I just read it wasnít til the 40s and 50s that cigarettes were known for causing cancer. Even in the 60s some doctors didnít acknowledge it. So I guess it was like a transition period of some believing it or thinking it wasnít a big deal.
The 1970's was the breakthrough for public awareness of this.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...n-tv-and-radio

(no April fool)
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

You'd have to figure on a lot of plain old obstinance and willful ignorance, too. People come up with any excuse not to take better care of themselves.

I've even encountered people who are dismissive of AIDS. Mostly because to them it's an abstract, they've never actually seen anyone go out like that. I have, it's f*cked up. But again, in my experience many people will shrug off anything if it makes them happy for this moment, no matter how serious it is.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #14
Emperor

Lucky Luke

I recall Lucky Luke often seen with a cigarette in his mouth in the cartoons and comics, later replaced with grass (not Cannabis).
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #15
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The 1970's was the breakthrough for public awareness of this.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...n-tv-and-radio

(no April fool)
Oh. Itís kinda surprising that it took that long before people really took it seriously.

Itís not like cigarettes were useful in any way that could possibly be unhealthy. Theyíre just sticks of trash. They always have been.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #16
Emperor

Tobacco

Tobacco products were once (not many years ago) marketed during sports competitions

http://www.jotdown.es/wp-content/upl...-Dinamarca.jpg

Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Interesting move from a cigarette company... But if you want to stay relevant and reinvent yourself ahead of an increasing decline in regular smoking, I guess it's a wise move to try to be ahead.

On the topic of health risks, yeah don't forget the increased risk of brain aneurysms for some.

My paternal grandmother died of one some months before I was born, and it was always assumed it was related to her smoking. Just assumed, but highly likely.

But now with an uncle (her youngest) having had a stroke just before Christmas (which he is recovering from very well luckily), it had in some way an odd silver lining because it led them to finding a small aneurysm in his brain, in the same area of his mother, around the same age she was (edit: and come to think of it she died of hers in December too, of '78), AND he's the only one of 7 siblings who has been a lifelong smoker. Gee, maybe it's dumb luck, or maybe smoking weakening the blood vessels really is in deed a factor. (Surprisingly they haven't fixed it yet, but will after he's done physical therapy.)

To add, I know a woman who survived one that did rupture. (Also a longtime smoker. Her father died of one too, but not sure if he smoked.) But given the permanent changes and issues relating to it ever since, I'm not sure surviving one is really all that much better than dying of it. (And given what she went through when it ruptured, that would be a terrible way to go.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

So long as they continue to produce sleeping and duffel bags, Marlboro should be just fine.

Maybe it's subliminal, but I swear those things always smell like cigarettes.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #19
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Maybe it's subliminal, but I swear those things always smell like cigarettes.
It will always be subliminal. I mean, Marlboro could go on to make cat litter and even the insides of the litter bags might still smell like cigarettes.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Surely those other items aren't produced in the same factory, right? Though if they were I could kind of understand it happening just thanks to the environment. Much like a smokers belongings in their home picking up that odor.

Then again... If they're manufactured in a foreign country like so much of that stuff is, maybe they send them plenty of "samples" for the workers to enjoy...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote