The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So, I saw in another thread somebody didn't like Kevin J Anderson's The Jedi Academy trilogy?

Why not?

Also, I really liked Joruus C'baoth ... the version of the Clone Wars alluded to in the Thrawn trilogy sounds pretty neato.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #22
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So, I saw in another thread somebody didn't like Kevin J Anderson's The Jedi Academy trilogy?

Why not?

Also, I really liked Joruus C'baoth ... the version of the Clone Wars alluded to in the Thrawn trilogy sounds pretty neato.
Kevin J Anderson is nothing but bad fan fan fiction.

50% of the ideas in the book are cool and worthy of being written about. The Maw. Kyp Durron. Admiral Dala. The Yavin 4 Academy. the ancient sith lord. the history of Yavin 4.

But it's done in such a bad way.....that you could probably condense it all in one and a half books if you cut out alot of fat. and where Zahn masterfully reminded us that this takes place in the movie verse by referencing movie events once every 10 chapters or so..... KJA does it LITERALLY every four parahraphs. Sometimes the same lines twice ('never tell me the odds').

Lots of cool ideas, mixed in with really bad writing.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Anybody other than Vegita-San wanna chime in on this with a slightly more centered op-ed?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
Vegita-San
Emperor

what makes my review not centered?

I'm the guy who brought up that it was bad in the first place.

smh..

Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

You've done quit a bit of editorializing on Star Wars on the Episode 8 thread. I'd like to see if anyone else has any thoughts on it.

While I tend to agree with you that Episodes 7 and 8 were poorly done, I'm not sure we agree on why that is. Or at least, not all of the reasons.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
Vegita-San
Emperor

what does that have to do with my opinions on the jedi academy trilogy?

two TOTALLY different things..

SMH.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Why not?
A lot of people have a hard-on against Kevin J. Anderson for some reason. His prose is not as good as Zahn's but he's far from mediocre. The Jedi Academy trilogy is decent.

Also a super nice guy. I've met him several times and he used to always respond to my letters as a kid.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot of people have a hard-on against Kevin J. Anderson for some reason. His prose is not as good as Zahn's but he's far from mediocre. The Jedi Academy trilogy is decent.

Also a super nice guy. I've met him several times and he used to always respond to my letters as a kid.
Didn't he also cowrite the Jacen and Jaina Young Jedi Knights series? I haven't read those in 20 years... do they hold up? Any good?
Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Didn't he also cowrite the Jacen and Jaina Young Jedi Knights series? I haven't read those in 20 years... do they hold up? Any good?
Yeah, with his wife. I'm sure they're still good. I'm not sure the same can be said about the "Junior Jedi Knights" series.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, with his wife. I'm sure they're still good. I'm not sure the same can be said about the "Junior Jedi Knights" series.
Yeah, I wasn't even going to bother with those.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #31
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I remember the series about jacen, jaina, and tenal ka being good. i don't think that was the junior jedi knight books though. there was aseries of about 13 or so of them. they where adult enough to get through. the really really young novel books i never bothered with. like the glove of darth vader.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I remember the series about jacen, jaina, and tenal ka being good. i don't think that was the junior jedi knight books though. there was aseries of about 13 or so of them. they where adult enough to get through. the really really young novel books i never bothered with. like the glove of darth vader.
Junior Jedi Knights is all about Anakin Solo, according to Wookiepedia. Probably written on an elementary or middle-school level, I'm guessing? So not interested.

And yeah, I remember reading The Glove of Darth Vader a decade or two ago, but I'm not interested in rereading that series. Jedi Prince, I think... also written for too young an audience.

Man, Star Wars EU really plays the field... comics, YA, adult novels... Star Trek EU is novels and that's it, except for a few comic series that never tied into the books. They've always pretty much been separate continuities. Not so, Star Wars! (As near as I can tell.)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #33
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:

Why not?

It's about 20 years since I read them, but I thought they were alright, if not a bit fluffy and bland. I still have a whole shelf full of EU books, but last time I tried to read one I couldn't get into it.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Man, Star Wars EU really plays the field... comics, YA, adult novels... Star Trek EU is novels and that's it, except for a few comic series that never tied into the books. They've always pretty much been separate continuities. Not so, Star Wars! (As near as I can tell.)
KJA bridged the gap. Others did, too. He directly referenced the events and aftermath of Dark Horse's "Dark Empire" comics. You can pick up his "Jedi Academy Trilogy" right after reading Dark Empire and it will make sense and you'll be rewarded.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
KJA bridged the gap. Others did, too. He directly referenced the events and aftermath of Dark Horse's "Dark Empire" comics. You can pick up his "Jedi Academy Trilogy" right after reading Dark Empire and it will make sense and you'll be rewarded.
I just reread Dark Empire and was not impressed. But I thought it didn't get referenced again? I heard that somewhere...
Old 04-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I just reread Dark Empire and was not impressed. But I thought it didn't get referenced again? I heard that somewhere...
I'm pretty sure it at least got a throwaway reference in things like "Darksaber" and such. I know it did for certain in the "Young Jedi Knights" 12 book series... they literally reference the Emperor's last clone being killed by Empatajayos Brand in "Empire's End" (Dark Empire III, basically).

KJA and the author of Dark Empire were tight. They even co-authored some of the "Tales of the Jedi" stuff 4,000 - 5,000 years before ANH. That became the basis of the "Knights of the Old Republic" that millions of video gamers swear is the end-all, be-all of the EU, dreaming of movies that will directly adapt that, that will never ever happen.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Tried reading The Truce at Bakura, put it down 2 chapters in. There's just something about Kathy Tyers' writing style that doesn't work for me. I figured this would be the case going in... I've already bailed on one of her original novels. On to Tatooine Ghost instead...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Do read the "Tales From" anthologies. Jabba's Palace in particular has some very good ones. The stories about the two dancers (Oola and the six-boobed big gal) are two pf my favorites. Also the Rancor keeper's story. If anyone could ever love something that big, ugly, and vicious....

Mos Eisley has some pretty good ones too. The Tanaka sisters, the Ichthorian, the pair that Luke almost got in the fight with.... I need to go back and reread those myself, lol!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #39
Vegita-San
Emperor

re reading truce at bakura.

so far, it's not bad. the only part i remember is anakin skywalker showing up as a ghost. rest of the book is a blank.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #40
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Tatooine Ghost was pretty boring. Finished it, but I think it needed a more direct antagonist to inject some interest. After the first dozen chapters or so, it was just a lot of slow slogging through the sand... ugh...

Shadows of the Empire was better, but MAN, the author sure had a hard-on for his original characters. Dash Rendar, better smuggler / bounty hunter than Han and Lando COMBINED! And Prince Xizor, better villain who is better at EVERYTHING and oh so awesome! He'll tell you himself!

Seriously, that book needed some vicious editing.