The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I'm now 3 hours in. halfway through a walkthrough I found online. Still have not reached the first dungeon.
And there's only four of them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #62
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The shrines are pretty important, since they give you exchange the spirit orbs for hearts and stamina.

Item boxes come from exchanging Korok seeds.

You can do the beasts in any order you like (though I do the elephant first since you get a life recharge from it. Also, Sidon is a fine looking fish man)
Old 02-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #63
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Skyward Sword" remake hits Switch on July 17.

https://kotaku.com/legend-of-zelda-s...source=twitter

And right when I'm about halfway through it on the Wii version on my Wii U.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #64
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Nintendo is getting so lazy with these reheated "Remasters" instead of baking up a new game. I understand it makes business-sense and that old games shouldn't be forgotten, but I can't help but think they've gotten a bit stale with all these Wii U/Wii rehashes the last two years. Technical improvements are appreciated, but creativity has taken a back seat to easy sales!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #65
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

That happened to me with Link's Awakening. Since then I've learned my lesson.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, there is still Breath of the Wild 2... which oddly was not offered any updates about at this latest conference.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #67
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well, there is still Breath of the Wild 2... which oddly was not offered any updates about at this latest conference.
Let them take their time with it. I haven't even played the first one yet, and that game is huge.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Let them take their time with it. I haven't even played the first one yet, and that game is huge.
It's not that big. It's only 4 dungeons and one boss level. Yes, lots of little puzzle shrines (all mostly optional) and you can get a little lost in things like cooking and all that... but the "core" game is actually embarrassingly small for a Zelda game.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #69
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It's not that big. It's only 4 dungeons and one boss level. Yes, lots of little puzzle shrines (all mostly optional) and you can get a little lost in things like cooking and all that... but the "core" game is actually embarrassingly small for a Zelda game.
I see.

My brother was playing the game when it came out and he showed me a bit of its gameplay when he was already about 70 hours in. By then he had only beaten 1 of the 4 dungeons yet iirc. Or maybe 2? Don't really remember. I guess he did a lot of sidequests...
Old 02-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #70
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
I see.

My brother was playing the game when it came out and he showed me a bit of its gameplay when he was already about 70 hours in. By then he had only beaten 1 of the 4 dungeons yet iirc. Or maybe 2? Don't really remember. I guess he did a lot of sidequests...
It's a massive game, unless you just run through the core objectives just to beat the game which is an option since you can go straight to Ganon if you want after the first area. But playing like that would be a huge disservice to the game and a waste of your money...

I don't really get the complaint about remasters though. They did the same thing with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for their 10th Anniversaries and they don't exactly require a lot of attention to put out. It would also be extremely stupid of Nintendo to sit on a bunch of high quality games from the last 10 years that only a handful of people played and not get them out to a larger audience. Besides, having so many classic games in one place is convenient as hell.

I recently replayed Skyward Sword myself, but I anticipated a remaster this year anyway and I'm glad it's being upgraded. The one thing that bugged me most was how blurry the visuals were despite the game having a beautiful art style. I just hope they can manage a collection with Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess for the 2nd half of 2021 because Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to be coming this year by the looks of it. They just announced Miitopia for the Switch which was a 3DS game so there's no reason they can't get Ocarina of Time 3D on there as well.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #71
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno if it's fair to say "only a handful of people" played Skyward Sword. It sold like 4 million copies. "Back in my day" that was still a lot.

I don't know what counts for "a lot" nowadays, though, I admit. I just still very vividly remember the days when a game needed either Mario on the cover or a rocket up its ass to even hope to sell 4 million.

((Shrug))

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #72
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'unno if it's fair to say "only a handful of people" played Skyward Sword. It sold like 4 million copies. "Back in my day" that was still a lot.

I don't know what counts for "a lot" nowadays, though, I admit. I just still very vividly remember the days when a game needed either Mario on the cover or a rocket up its ass to even hope to sell 4 million.

((Shrug))
I was referring more to the Wii U ports, which have all been selling better on Switch because only like 5 people had a Wii U,
the majority which all reside on this forum. Besides, Skyward Sword still underperformed though considering it took them like 5 years to make and sold less than Twilight Princess.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #73
Leo656
The Franchise

Ahhhhh yeah, that makes more sense to me. I am one of the 5. And I only bought my Wii U last year.

I agree, though; for whatever it sold, Skyward Sword kinda feels like the "forgotten" console Zelda game, to me. Like, I remember it had a lotta heat when it was new but since then I never hear anyone talk about it, like, ever.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I see.

Had to have. And it's less "side quests" as just finding hidden shrines if you're so inclined to do. Again, all optional. Divorced from the story (or any story really).

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-17-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #75
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
It's a massive game, unless you just run through the core objectives just to beat the game which is an option since you can go straight to Ganon if you want after the first area. But playing like that would be a huge disservice to the game and a waste of your money...

I don't really get the complaint about remasters though. They did the same thing with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for their 10th Anniversaries and they don't exactly require a lot of attention to put out. It would also be extremely stupid of Nintendo to sit on a bunch of high quality games from the last 10 years that only a handful of people played and not get them out to a larger audience. Besides, having so many classic games in one place is convenient as hell.

I recently replayed Skyward Sword myself, but I anticipated a remaster this year anyway and I'm glad it's being upgraded. The one thing that bugged me most was how blurry the visuals were despite the game having a beautiful art style. I just hope they can manage a collection with Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess for the 2nd half of 2021 because Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to be coming this year by the looks of it. They just announced Miitopia for the Switch which was a 3DS game so there's no reason they can't get Ocarina of Time 3D on there as well.
I see.

And yes, I agree with you about the remasters. It's always a nice bonus to have an older game available on a current gen console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I was referring more to the Wii U ports, which have all been selling better on Switch because only like 5 people had a Wii U,
the majority which all reside on this forum. Besides, Skyward Sword still underperformed though considering it took them like 5 years to make and sold less than Twilight Princess.
The Wii U is the only Nintendo console I haven't owned.

And the Virtual Boy. But that doesn't count, does it?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #76
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ahhhhh yeah, that makes more sense to me. I am one of the 5. And I only bought my Wii U last year.

I agree, though; for whatever it sold, Skyward Sword kinda feels like the "forgotten" console Zelda game, to me. Like, I remember it had a lotta heat when it was new but since then I never hear anyone talk about it, like, ever.
It was by far the least accessible Zelda game, for sure. Motion controls aren't for everyone and you needed a Wii Motion Plus attachment if you were an early Wii adopter just so you can play the game and a lot of people couldn't get the controls to function properly. The controls worked perfectly fine, I can attest to that, but I have moved since I first played it and I noticed the controls weren't as functional in my new setup. Didn't help much either that it released just a few months before the Wii U, so the Wii was already dead in the water by the time Skyward Sword finally came out. At least this time, they've added button controls.

Quote:
Had to have. And it's less "side quests" and just finding hidden shrines if you're so inclined to do. Again, all optional. Divorced from the story (or any story really).
There's like over 70 side quests, 15 main quests, 120 shrines, 900 koroks, 4 divine beasts, and memories to find. Just because the game prioritizes gameplay and exploration over story doesn't mean it's a short one by any stretch of the imagination. Dungeons clearly weren't the focal point of Breath of the Wild which is why they don't even exist in the traditional sense.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #77
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm one of those 5 people that bought a Wii U, I felt burned when the Switch came out and Nintendo completely ignored fans who bought it but I'm over it and I'm glad I owned it. I had a Virtual boy as a kid too, glad I owned it back then too.

I do think their output of original games on Switch is actually worse than Wii U if not for the ports. And now they don't even have a handheld to take development time away from other games. Oh well Nintendo gotta Nintendo, the reason I hate them is also what makes me love them. They do whatever the hell they want not caring what anyone expects from them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

Skyward Sword was the weakest 3D Zelda by a large margin, and this is not even counting stuff like the motion controls, just the way the game is designed.

Pretty sure Nintendo is going to have all the 3D Zelda's on Switch eventually, and Mario Galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, mainly because these games are decades old now and most young teens of today never played these games so they'll be all new to people.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #79
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I've owned a Wii U since Christmas of 2013, and I've never regretted it. I've had more fun with that console than just about any other I've owned.

If Nintendo wants to re-introduce the world to it's great library of games, then more power to them. I've been enjoying them for years.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #80
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Skyward Sword was the weakest 3D Zelda by a large margin, and this is not even counting stuff like the motion controls, just the way the game is designed.

Pretty sure Nintendo is going to have all the 3D Zelda's on Switch eventually, and Mario Galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, mainly because these games are decades old now and most young teens of today never played these games so they'll be all new to people.
The Gamecube version of Wind Waker is honestly pretty weak too, which is why the Wii U edition improved it. There is an optional sail that makes the sailing way faster and you don't have to visit Tingle as much to get the Triforce pieces. I'm pretty sure they changed even more stuff to make the game less tedious, I just don't know them off hand.

I'm pretty sure they'll fix some of the issues with the game.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote