The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And Kevin is almost 60 now, right? So basically he married a golddigger? I mean there's no reason a woman would marry a guy 30 years older than her if she wasn't in it for the money, especially since Eastman is a millionaire.
He seems like a pretty fun guy. And maybe she was a TMNT fan growing up, too, who knows.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #42
Vegita-San
Emperor

cubes on a roll of perpetual thought weirdness today.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

Hard to judge the reasons people enter a relationship.

Honestly, is marrying someone for money any worse than marrying them for their tits or perfect jawline?

Everyone has their reasons, superficial or otherwise.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #44
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Hard to judge the reasons people enter a relationship.

Honestly, is marrying someone for money any worse than marrying them for their tits or perfect jawline?

Everyone has their reasons, superficial or otherwise.
None of those are good reasons for marrying someone.

That said though, different strokes for different folks.

I can't imagine dating or marrying anyone significantly older or younger than me tho
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #45
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
None of those are good reasons for marrying someone.

That said though, different strokes for different folks.

I can't imagine dating or marrying anyone significantly older or younger than me tho
I probably wouldn't argue they are good reasons, but it's not like factors of such nature don't come into play with relationships.
People generally don't like dating broke people, and they generally won't hit on you unless they are physically attracted.

So while those might not be the explicit reasons people fall into marriage, it certainly can be. Or at least pave the way. We're all only human.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I'm still dumbfounded by the lack of familiarity for shameless self-promoters around here. It's not exactly a new concept.

Quote:
And Kevin is almost 60 now, right? So basically he married a golddigger? I mean there's no reason a woman would marry a guy 30 years older than her if she wasn't in it for the money, especially since Eastman is a millionaire.
Wow. For as cool as Eastman has been with the fanbase, they don't deserve this kind of trash.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

You would marry someone with a 30 year age difference? Really?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #48
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
If the connection is there, absolutely. What I wouldn't do is openly question someone's marriage in an open, public forum. Have some tact, dude.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #49
Ceres
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Why not, if love is there from both parties who the hell cares. Free Country, this concept should be known especially to you americans

"Shredder, why don't you make love to me anymore?"
Ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #50
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He seems like a pretty fun guy. And maybe she was a TMNT fan growing up, too, who knows.
yep. plus, it's not on us to trash a guys marriage.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #51
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Wow. For as cool as Eastman has been with the fanbase, they don't deserve this kind of trash.
He's a troll. He said much worse when Stan Sakai remarried.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #52
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
My grandmother and her second husband was 20 years apart. Her first husband was 10 years older.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #53
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
How is being an optimist a fault? I like that he can find something good in everything, even if it's bad or enjoy it for what it is.
That's a good point. There's nothing wrong to finding the good in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I remember another interview where Eastman blames the failure of Next Mutation on the toy line.
But the show was a ratings success so what are you talking about?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #54
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
being blind to bad quality isn't all that great.

didn't he compare bay turtles to avengers at one point?

I understand he was probably contractually obligated to promote the thing somehow....since i think he had a small part in it. but still..
I thought the third turtles film was bad, but I can still find good points about it and focus on that. That's how I view Kevin.

Quote:
Me personally, no. Big no.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #55
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Nope, it's always either daughter of Shredder, or FAKE daughter of Shredder. But always clearly lesser than Shredder, his underling and fundamentally connected to him in some way.
What about the 2007 film? She wasn't related to Shredder in that.
Quote:
Kevin is 54, is wife is 24 years younger than him.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #56
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Is it just me or -- and I don't mean this in a bad way -- as Kevin gets older, more and more he begins to resemble... Peter Laird?
How so?

I was in no way passing judgment. I was just making the point that he'd be more likely to be aware of Podcasts, Instagram, etc. now that he is married to someone who grew up in the Digital Age.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
What about the 2007 film? She wasn't related to Shredder in that.
We don't know either way on that. But she's clearly intended to be younger than him, and spoke of him as if that had been her boss... had they got a sequel she almost assuredly would have been his daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
How so?
In the face.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #58
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
i gotta say, that's a pretty harsh assumption man.
i've met them both together at a few conventions. from what i've see they both looked really happy together.
sure there's only so much you can gather from just a brief encounter, but their chemistry felt genuine to me.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #59
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Correct. Apparently having her be her own woman and Shredder's boss wasn't satisfactory... she had to be the underling and daughter of Shredder to "work" as a character.

I'm shocked more fans aren't upset about that, particularly female fans.
That sucks and all, but I get the feeling their hands were tied against a more faithful adaptation. The Mirage version of Karai was willing to kill and fighting for dominance of the Foot clan, rather than justice, although she agreed to move them in a direction less menacing to the Turtles. I doubt there's any way the creators of children's cartoons would let that through. A children's cartoon character can be a morally gray wildcard who alternately works with heroes or villains depending on the situation, but she isn't allowed to be permanent protagonists while holding on to a willingness to get her hands dirty. So for Karai adaptations, she either has to become morally upstanding or keep backsliding into outright villainy.

I'd say the same moral dogma has a lot to do with why adaptations demote Karai from her own agent to something of a Talia Al-Ghoul ripoff. With any powerful female character in any show intended for children, there is going to be a social subtext that she's a role-model, which for show-runners, mandates being a good role-model--"good" being, of-course, the preachy and quixotic definition favored by such finger-waggers. Thus I think they feel they can't allow Karai to have a congenital "dark" side. If she's unduly loyal to bad people, or she's too trigger-happy, or too violent, etc, they always feel the need to put in a subtext that it was her upbringing that made her so. Again, all this really sucks, but I think it's the likely explanation.

Now back to Eastman, there's something to be said for being a pragmatist open to considering other people's desires with one's work. The problem is he seems to make no distinction between audience desires and those of people in higher places, which in many cases cross the line from desires into the sort of stupefying mandates I described above. He also seems to hold onto the delusion that you can please all of the people all of the time. In my experience, people who try to cater everybody end up catering to nobody. Granted; I don't think the whole brand has failed since Laird stepped down and Eastman stepped back up, but it's hard to attribute any of its successes to him, either. By contrast, while I find Peter Laird a frequently unpleasant and nitpicky personality, I'd definitely credit to him most of the better ideas that affected TMNT in the 2000s, and it's likely no coincidence that when he turned his focus to the 2007 movie is about when the 4Kids show got a lot stupider.

Last edited by Konchadunga; 04-10-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
That sucks and all, but I get the feeling their hands were tied against a more faithful adaptation.
I don't think so... Peter Laird had pretty much total control of the situation at 4Kids (which is where the Shredder's daughter rubbish started). If he wanted Karai to remain Shredder's boss like the comics, he could've.

Tags
kevin eastman