The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Are season/series finales your favorite episodes in most shows?

I notice after I marathon and rewatch my favorite shows over and over again, the episodes I always enjoy the most are the season finales of each season, and then the overall series finale.

For obvious reasons, the season finale is usually when most of the overall plotlines and subplots for that particular season come to a close. Most of the important characters arcs for both the heroes and villains usually come to a good conclusion in the finales, while also simultaneously setting things up for the next season. Basically everything you've been watching had been building up to that particular episode, so it feels "worth it" like you got the payoff you deserved after following all those episodes.

Every time I get to a season or series finale, I feel so happy after finishing it. Like I feel "content" because I got what I wanted. Of course some season and series finales don't always wrap things up and leave plotholes or loose ends, but that's besides the point. For the most part they're my favorite eps.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It's the most action packed and game changer of the whole season's episodes so yeah.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

In the shows I watch, no, the finales are not necessarily my favorite episodes. Different shows have varying levels of success with season/series finales.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

No, not sure if that's ever even been the case. Maybe Breaking Bad.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hardly ever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I like the episodes that being in new characters or brings back familiar favorites. For instance, tonight's Gifted just revealed

Spoiler:
the Stepford Cucuos!

I had never expected to see that happen in a series or movie, given how relatively obscure they are.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Sometimes you get unresolved cliffhangers, and that really sucks (for example, Spectacular Spider-Man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

The first time around, yes, but they’re not as good when watching them again later on, as they tend to be the episodes I remember the most, so they’re not as exciting in subsequent rewatches.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Out of curiosity what shows are you people referring to when talking about disappointing finales?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
newfan
Mad Scientist

I find I like season finales, series finales can vary as they have the difference of being final, what happens is staying.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Turo602
The King of Kings

As has been said before, it depends on how well they're executed. They're definitely the episodes I look forward to most for obvious reasons, but I can't say they're typically my favorite. For me, a great season finale has high stakes and concequences that continue into the next season while also wrapping up the arc of the season. As for series finales... I think they're always the hardest to make satisfying for all viewers. While I typically don't consider series finale episodes to be my favorite, I find a good series finale makes you reflect on the long journey you've been on with these characters while also assuring you of the future for those characters. It doesn't necessarily have to be the best episode or the ultimate conclusion you were hoping for, but as long as it does those 2 things well, I'm fine with them.