The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Star Trek Cartoon for kids on Nickelodeon

The new “Star Trek” universe could be expanding beyond CBS All Access.

Variety has learned that CBS Television Studios and Nickelodeon are negotiating for a new “Star Trek” animated series aimed at kids.

Plot details on the new series are being kept under wraps, but it hails from writers Kevin and Dan Hageman. The Hagemans are known for their work on animated shows such as “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu” and “Trollhunters.” They also worked on the story for the films “Hotel Transylvania,” “The Lego Movie,” and “The Lego Ninjago Movie.” They are repped by WME and Underground Management.

Should the project move forward, it would mark the first new “Star Trek” TV project to debut outside of All Access with an eye for it to serve as a tent pole series at Nickelodeon. The series would mark a major get for new Nickelodeon president Brian Robbins, who was brought in in October to lead the kid-centric Viacom brand amid declining linear ratings and shifting viewing habits.

This is also the second animated “Star Trek” project to be announced. All Access gave a two-season order to the adult animated series “Star Trek: Lower Decks” in October, with that show being created by “Rick & Morty” writer Mike McMahan. It will focus on the the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.

CBS TV Studios has been steadily building out its slate of “Star Trek” projects since the launch of “Star Trek: Discovery” in September 2017. Producer Alex Kurtzman signed a five-year deal at the studio last summer to oversee all “Star Trek” TV projects.

In addition to the Nickelodeon series, “Lower Decks,” and “Discovery,” All Access is currently prepping a series that will see the return of Patrick Stewart as Capt. Jean-Luc Picard and is developing a drama centered on Michelle Yeoh’s “Discovery” character and her work for the mysterious Section 31.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sta...on-1203138869/

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Given some of these cartoons by Nick and others these days, I hate to think what it may end up looking like. Star Trek was never my thing, and not to automatically be negative, but it's hard not to be skeptical anymore when these companies decide to go and reboot something old now for "a new generation." Bad enough if it looks like 'Rise,' and god forbid if it looks like Thundercats.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I hope this series look like the original series cartoon. I also like that one of the members of the crew is a female Caitian name M'Ress.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Star Trek is oddly the one property that managed to somehow avoided becoming kiddie-fied after 50+ years. I guess it was inevitable, Star Trek getting a kids cartoon was going to happen sooner or later, and this one unlike the older cartoon from the 70's will actually be for kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Star Trek is oddly the one property that managed to somehow avoided becoming kiddie-fied after 50+ years. I guess it was inevitable, Star Trek getting a kids cartoon was going to happen sooner or later, and this one unlike the older cartoon from the 70's will actually be for kids.
I hope its like the original animated series. Which was exactly like the live action show. It wasn't kidie-fied or anything.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

I was gonna say, M'Ress or GTFO.

Is her banging Sulu still canon? God, I hope so.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 02-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #7
Roseangelo
Emperor

I am really confused at the recent surge in Star Trek shows. Just give me the Picard show already.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

"Star Trek Nicktoon" keeps making me think of this ornament that was among my shipments for work this past holiday. I could see that happening...

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Star Trek should not be watered down for kids. It's fine the way it is.

My two kids, both elementary school or younger, enjoy everything they've seen of it even though it is for "adults", they've seen episodes from all five shows (not Discovery), and will see plenty more in the years to come.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

When I was 10 years old, I didn't want a children's cartoon dumbed down to me. I was fine watching TNG and the TOS movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
When I was 10 years old, I didn't want a children's cartoon dumbed down to me. I was fine watching TNG and the TOS movies.
Well, I am still forever traumatized because I watched WOK when I was way too young and damn that earwig scene. But yeah, in general I would say Star Trek is already pretty good at being an all ages show.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

I liked ST as a kid too, didn't need a toon either. That being said, there were way less kids shows then and airing only at specific times, so maybe that's why some of us branched out a little.

I don't care about this, which I fine cause its not aimed at me but I've not even checked out discovery. I might have a look when it is done just out of curiosity to see what they have done but I don't plan to watch it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Star Trek is oddly the one property that managed to somehow avoided becoming kiddie-fied after 50+ years.
Star Trekk was off the television screen for many years (between 1974 and 1987), with only a few films being played in the cinemas. That meant they didn't rely much on toy commercials for many years.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers alredy do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote