The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #61
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I will never understand why you guys are obsessed with movie turtles. Movie turtles are always the best figures to you guys no matter what.

- Playmates movie figures were the best figures once upon a time because flexible plastic and spots.
- Playmates Classic Collection wave2 movie figures are better than wave1 toon turtles.
- OMG NECA 1/4 movie turtles ARE THE BEST FIGURES EVER MADE I SWEAR
- OMG NECA 7inch Movie figures are now the new best figures ever made !!!!

why?

I mean, i am a TMNT fan too and i saw the movie in theaters in 1990 and i own a set of 7inch Neca Movie turtles but it's not my favorite. My favorites are Neca's toon turtles.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #62
Creedog
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
I think the reason i don't have a problem with NECA repainting things is because they are different enough. For example i didn't realize i've bought the same figures 3 times. SDCC arcade turtles, toon turtles and wave2 licensing bright green turtles. They all give off a different feel.

I only have a problem when playmates does it... like giving the turtles from wave 1 pupils and passing it off as new figures.
I don’t have a problem with it either, as for the most part, you don’t have to buy the repaints. The line may trickle out a little slower, but neca has to make a profit in order to continue the line. I think forcing us to buy two more foot soldiers to get Casey and April is a little crappy, but I’ll pay it, and they know it.
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #63
Otter
Stone Warrior

I was quietly hoping that this year's SDCC exclusive would be Ooze related (so I didn't have to chase it), but on Twitter Randy just suggested that Tokka and Rahzar would be on display tomorrow.

Last edited by Otter; 02-21-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #64
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I was quietly hoping that this year's SDCC exclusive would be Ooze related (so I didn't have to chase it), but on Twitter Randy just suggested that Tokka and Rahzar would be on display tomorrow.
Yep,they are there
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 PM   #65
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I will never understand why you guys are obsessed with movie turtles. Movie turtles are always the best figures to you guys no matter what.

why?

I mean, i am a TMNT fan too and i saw the movie in theaters in 1990 and i own a set of 7inch Neca Movie turtles but it's not my favorite. My favorites are Neca's toon turtles.
My favourites are the movie Turtles and the Mirage Turtles. This is because I was first introduced to the Turtles reading the Mirage comics. The cartoon was a big disappointment to me. The 1990 film took so many story ideas from the Mirage comics, that it kind of reclaimed the franchise for me. No other iterarions has really done that since. That's why the movie figures are (among) my favourites.

Last edited by Otter; 02-21-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #66
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

- Playmates movie figures were the best figures once upon a time because flexible plastic and spots.
- Playmates Classic Collection wave2 movie figures are better than wave1 toon turtles.

why?

If you're seriously asking this, I'm pretty confident that I could explain this based mostly on my own collecting drive as someone who "was there" in the 80s.

For "us" there is a sort of appeal to having that thing which best represents whatever you are into. When we were kids, they'd always come out with a new figure (it wasn't as bad as it is now) and if that figure felt more true to the I.P. then you "needed" that one.

Fast forward to today and this still holds true. The TMNT on film thing jazzes people up because it's one of those holes in our childhood that was never properly filled. Sure, we got the TMNT II line with the "rubber skin" and at the time those were loved, and for years if you paid attention you'd found that they sold in high demand on the aftermarket. Until the better modern sculpts came out.

The vintage Playmates stuff is great of course, but there is another void there. As kids we didn't realize that the Playmates Turtles weren't anything like the cartoon. We didn't care. But now with NECA out, you really feel like you finally have toys from the cartoon. It's the same for people who have waited forever for a Tokka and Rhazar that actually look like Tokka and Rhazar - hell they could scan the costumes now and make undeniable figures, as opposed to the sort of He-Man style goofballs we had as kids.

It's all about fulfillment of having that thing that is the final archetype of what you wanted. I'm still waiting on this from a comic accurate Iron Man line, myself. And this is also why I've embraced the NECA FW line. Except that at my age now I have little tolerance for "making me wait or buying again" and so once NECA has a misstep I'll probably be all-out.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-21-2020 at 09:38 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #67
Otter
Stone Warrior

All that ^ said, I'm still getting a Super7 Raph, because he's a modern update of the closest I could get to a Mirage Turtle figure at that time I was reading Mirage comics. 🤣 Oh nostalgia, you're so weird.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #68
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Yeah i get all that but i'm not attached to a movie that i've only seen once for like 90 minutes in 1990 as opposed to a cartoon line which i have been watching everyday for close to 10 years.

Why are you guys so obsessed with a short film?

Besides, if you guys are Mirage turtle freaks, you'd hype neca's mirage turtles more but no, it's always the movie turtles that gets all the attention.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #69
TommyT
Banned

Quote:

why?

Pretty simple, actually.

People want to have in hand, the thing they see on the screen.
Not a version of.

The Film made turtles real. It made them tangible. Thats alchemy, and having it in your house is permanence.

Nothing comes close to that feeling.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #70
slaysghosts
Foot Soldier

Pretty derailed from Toy Fair 2020.

You are into the cartoon.
Other fans are into the cartoon.

We are into the movie.

Find your group of common interest and hang out.

Quit questioning why it's so great. We don't care why the cartoon is so great to you. We are not drilling you about what you like as if it were wrong. We are all on this site because we like TMNT. We are on this topic in this forum because we want to share what Toy Fair 2020 findings we come across with each other. Not to humor you and toys from the cartoon vs the movie. Back on topic.

Do yourself a favor: Bookmark this page ---> Click Here

Also, a lot of people have obnoxiously large signatures and you'll get use to it.
slaysghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:22 AM   #71
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I agree with you on the childish insults. I’m working on getting him suspended and/or banned.
Yeah, good luck with that. Been trying to get myself banned from here for years but the mods are here are ****ing useless.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #72
statik
Foot Soldier

I guess technically some of you are acting like toys but we don't need four pages of this ****. Like what you like. Move on. Now shut up unless you have some real Toy Fair findings to share.
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:28 AM   #73
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah i get all that but i'm not attached to a movie that i've only seen once for like 90 minutes in 1990 as opposed to a cartoon line which i have been watching everyday for close to 10 years.

Why are you guys so obsessed with a short film?

Besides, if you guys are Mirage turtle freaks, you'd hype neca's mirage turtles more but no, it's always the movie turtles that gets all the attention.
I guarantee you I've logged more hours of that movie than the cartoon. Watched it only last month.

And if anyone were making Mirage figures, I guarantee I'd be singing from the rafters about it.

Now... bring on those reveals. Maybe there'll be some Mirage ones. 😉

Last edited by Otter; 02-22-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #74
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

OK, so to recap:

We're likely to see some pics today, and perhaps Tokka and Rhazar will be revealed.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #75
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

First! Just saw a blurry picture on Instagram by searching. I see Tokka and Rahzar and possibly super shredder? Some form of large scale toon turtle?

Actually, I don’t know if that’s Super Shredder or not. It’s some form of shredder though.

Last edited by Turnstone; 02-22-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #76
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Keanu in Android body form is confirmed as well as cartoon splinter and I think Baxter Stockman.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #77
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Just saw a blurry picture on Instagram by searching. I see Tokka and Rahzar and possibly super shredder? Do I see a Mirage turtle as well?

Actually, I don’t know if that’s Super Shredder or not. I guess it isn’t. It’s some form of shredder though.
I’ve got eyes on an Android Krang body and a movie Casey Jones in the pic I see
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #78
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

omg 1:4 scale toon turtles???

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #79
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Oh man, this picture is blurry as hell and its already got me way too excited!
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #80
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Looks like movie Casey, Super Shredder, Tokka and Rhazar. Looks like a small trench coat Raph as well. Definitely see Krang's body and a 1/4 scale toon Raph. Also see a toon Baxter and toon Splinter in there.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote