The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

I guess any hope for some kind of major Triceraton arc probably won't happen till post issue 100 now. I had hopes they'd be in the Dimension X arc, but judging by the summaries I guess not. The Triceratons are the most underused major Mirage characters that have not yet been explored.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #62
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's definitely not IDW's responsibility to redeem Fred Wolf supporting characters. Nor should it be.
i'm not sure there'd be any way to redeem a doofus character anyway?
wasn't Vernon in the cartoon just a sniveling wimp thrown in for comic relief?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
There really isn't even any room for the Channel 6 characters anyway. What role could they possibly have at this point? I can see some kind of shoutout, maybe where they're watching the news and Vernon and Irma are anchors/reports as an easter egg, but as third-tier characters, they'd get crowded.
excellent point!
the only way i'd see Vernon fitting into to series is if a News crew showed up to investigate Bishop controlling Slash to run amok.
.....and Vernon ends up getting curb stomped in the process.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #63
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think Bobby Curnow did say that we'd be getting Triceratons at some point this year, but that's deep in his Q&A right now.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #64
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess any hope for some kind of major Triceraton arc probably won't happen till post issue 100 now. I had hopes they'd be in the Dimension X arc, but judging by the summaries I guess not. The Triceratons are the most underused major Mirage characters that have not yet been explored.
i've really been hoping for some Triceraton action since the beginning!

i was hoping we'd see them show up somewhere in 'The Krang War', but that was all Krang vs. Neutrinos.

even in Utrom Empire, the Triceratons were barely in it.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #65
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think there was a lot to Utrom Empire that was basically useless to the destruction of the planet.

The rebellion being the first and the Triceratons being the second. Neither of them were all that important and it severely dampens Quanin's carelessness. Granted, it was said that his insistence on warfare was a huge part of the downfall, but one would think Krang would have a helluva lot more anger toward the Neutrinos considering their involvement. And might even be interested in tackling the Triceratons, wherever they may be.

They just seem like a footnote. And while I'm at it, it's comical that they were surprised that Zog escaped imprisonment. Yes, the bars meant to hold 10-15 pound little orbs didn't hold a 1 ton tank. Who could have known???
Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #66
myconius
Abby Normal

true. the overall plot mostly focused on Quanin draining his planet dry,
juxtaposed with Fugitoid in present day struggling between conflict with Krang and Baxter.

it just felt like- "OH! Hey look! there's Zog."
Old 07-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #67
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well yeah. The first part was the one that was really important, but there wasn't really focus on that. But rather, Zog and the rebellion.

I think it could have been better for Krang to have been in an area of Utrominion that had fully succumbed to the effects of the mining and noticing it was spreading, and he tries to work with Honeycutt to get Quanin to see it for himself. Make the rebellion a very, very minor footnote that only happened in one of the most important area of Utrominion, taking out the leaders and abandoning the rest of the population to be defenseless as their planet collapsed.
(And thus creating Mad Max: Utrom edition)

Heck, I think a lot more could have been done with Honeycutt and Krang. It would be reasonable in my mind to think that they could have been friends - or at the very least tolerant of each other - before Utrominion collapsed and most certainly before Krang started up the Technodrome project and started seeking universal domination. And since Honeycutt would be the only one of Krang's companions left - granted a non-Utrom companion - he could have attempted to help Krang through the first stages of whatever grief he'd be feeling after leaving his homeworld behind for the first time. Only for that to fall apart when his child was born and he focus on helping his wife, unintentionally leaving Krang with his own thoughts and his own stress, and coming to his ultimate goal without anyone to lower him down from them.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #68
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

An addition to those thoughts:

I've noticed that we haven't really seen Krang with any civilian Utroms. He's talked to his father (with whom his relationship is not great), two councilors, and a Sergeant, but his other interactions seem implied.
We know about Ch'rell's obsessive adoration, Ma'riell seems fond of him enough that she's disappointed to learn the reason for his imprisonment, and from the way Kleve and Montuoro speak of Ch'rell, they might have similar feelings for Krang.

But we never see him interacting with the Utroms that aren't in his closest social circles. The regular civilians who hailed him as a hero, the children who wanted to be like him - fighting over who got to play as him in "war games".

So, when Krang talks about how "his people were dying and he HAD to take drastic measures to save them", the excuse has far less impact when we've never actually seen him with them. This grand act of love means nothing when the love is never even shown.

We don't see anything of the culture he wants to preserve. We don't see any of him getting ready for when they'd be awake, including preparing the native Utrominion flora for planting, itching for socialization while having to literally be behind a glass box and cut off from contact, hating the human/Neutrino cultures he has to be around. Given the conditions, he likely had to eat alone. Honestly, somebody on the Defense during the trial should be making that argument, with a side of mental health decline.

It's not so much of "what I'd like to see" but more of a "what I WISH had been seen."
Something to further Krang's desperation to save his people, because otherwise, his excuses seem really shallow and empty. No matter how much he says "I want to save what's left of my civilization", it's moot when there's very little to show what that civilization means to him. Especially when he loses sight of his supposed "heroism". At first it seemed like he was just going to use Burnow as a shelter to recover and hide away, but suddenly he wants to get back into universal conquest -- which is exactly what Quanin did to get them in that mess in the first place???
Old 07-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

At this point IDW has covered most of what I want to see. The only thing I really want for a future arc is a proper Battle Nexus tournament ala the one in the 2k3 series, they can even bring in the Mutanimals to fight with them so you have recognizable characters in it rather than random aliens.

There are a few older mutants or characters I would like to see show up but it isn't essential, like Rahzar, Lord Dregg (have him as Malinga's mate since they're both insectoid aliens), Armaggon, and down the road I wouldn't mind seeing Tiger Claw or the like. But as I said this isn't essential.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #70
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I want Dregg and Maligna to be more like the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #71
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That would be the best thing ever !
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm trying to think of a checklist of all the big TMNT stories we get in virtually every new incarnation, and IDW has practically done everything already. Even stuff like a mutant outbreak has more or less been covered through various arcs, and Bishop already went after the Mutanimals.

We're now getting a proper Dimension X or space arc, something we didn't really get before. We already have had time travel stories with Renet. We finally got the Usagi crossover with the IDW Turtles. We even got stuff like dragons and ancient demons covered with the Pantheon, etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing a more down to earth criminal or gangster stories with normal crooks. We don't really get too much of that even if we have some gangs running around. Would like to see some Italian mobsters.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #73
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'm trying to think of a checklist of all the big TMNT stories we get in virtually every new incarnation, and IDW has practically done everything already. Even stuff like a mutant outbreak has more or less been covered through various arcs, and Bishop already went after the Mutanimals.

We're now getting a proper Dimension X or space arc, something we didn't really get before. We already have had time travel stories with Renet. We finally got the Usagi crossover with the IDW Turtles. We even got stuff like dragons and ancient demons covered with the Pantheon, etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing a more down to earth criminal or gangster stories with normal crooks. We don't really get too much of that even if we have some gangs running around. Would like to see some Italian mobsters.
IDW is long past grounded street-level story arcs. The mob isn't going to happen.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #74
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think they kind of did a trial thing with Ch'rell, but that was all to clumsily wrap his story up in a sloppy bow to get him out of the way.

But this is a full on "Courtroom drama" where things supposedly get "emotional" (which I'm assuming is where the Utroms get involved)
Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
IDW is long past grounded street-level story arcs. The mob isn't going to happen.
Well there is still normal criminals lately, there was Lupo and his gang who worked for Dun, which is admittedly redundant since we also had the Street Phantoms at the same time.

And now during the Karai arc in Universe, seems like we're getting another yakuza gang in Japan.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #76
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Well there is still normal criminals lately, there was Lupo and his gang who worked for Dun, which is admittedly redundant since we also had the Street Phantoms at the same time.

And now during the Karai arc in Universe, seems like we're getting another yakuza gang in Japan.
We're also getting Japanese mythology, a dragon thingy, and whatever Ocho is.

And nobody remembers street thugs under Darius; we remember the Street Phantoms.

There will always be opening page cannon fodder, but you're never going to see normal human thugs and mobsters portrayed as a serious threat to the Turtles in IDW from here on out. Hun and the Purple Dragons last were a threat to only the humans (O'Neils, Casey, etc)...
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #77
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Agreed about the story arc with the Battle Nexus. All we got was a forgettable tease.

I want to see The Pubk Frogs, Groundchuck and Dirtbag done proper.

The Turtles in another country other than Japan.

I don't want it yet, but I am curious what IDW would do in a revised World's Collide trilogy from the 2003 cartoon. Agent Bishop could even find his way into it.

Tom Waltz back on The Technodrome, this thread makes me miss his presence. It would be great to have both him and Bobby.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #78
ChosenOne
Banned

On the subject of the Battle Nexus, why not go all out and take a page from Dragon Ball Super's Tournament of Power and have 10 (or so, a nice round number) characters picked to represent the Earth in a Battle Nexus free-for-all?

Not only would that sufficiently distinguish it from the upcoming Stump Asteroid shenanigans, it would make for a nice opportunity for some cool teamwork between former foes and strange bedfellows in the arena, if some of those characters were villains.

I'm thinking Bebop and Rocksteady, for instance, would be must-haves in such a scenario.

It's always enjoyable to see heroes forced to work alongside their villains.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #79
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
On the subject of the Battle Nexus, why not go all out and take a page from Dragon Ball Super's Tournament of Power and have 10 (or so, a nice round number) characters picked to represent the Earth in a Battle Nexus free-for-all?

Not only would that sufficiently distinguish it from the upcoming Stump Asteroid shenanigans, it would make for a nice opportunity for some cool teamwork between former foes and strange bedfellows in the arena, if some of those characters were villains.

I'm thinking Bebop and Rocksteady, for instance, would be must-haves in such a scenario.

It's always enjoyable to see heroes forced to work alongside their villains.
I would rather see them go all-out and do a Secret Wars-inspired storyline, throw a bunch of cool characters on a simulated world created by a cosmic god so that he can watch them fight and compare their power levels
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #80
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I would rather see them go all-out and do a Secret Wars-inspired storyline, throw a bunch of cool characters on a simulated world created by a cosmic god so that he can watch them fight and compare their power levels
A blend of the two ideas could work. They already share so much common ground anyway... Secret Wars was pretty much literally conceived to make it feel like a kid playing with his action figures, just mashing up a bunch of cool characters together and see what comes of it. I like the notion.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote