The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

The Tick Returns

Amazon.com has ordered a pilot for the return of The Tick. Patrick Warburton will return as the titular character.

I just have one thing to say about this. Ahem... SPOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...-tick-20140902
Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

sweet

I'm interested
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I would love it if they got the voice cast from the animated series to do cameos or something, though that's not likely.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I watched a few episodes of the cartoon and live-action show years ago. I don't remember the characters or what happened in those episodes, though. The cartoon was shown in Ireland on rte two in the late 1990s. The live-action show was aired on tv3 in the summer of 2003.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I really got into the Tick Animated Series when it was aired on Comedy Central way back when. The live show was also awesome and killed way before its time, just like the cartoon. I feel there's a ton of untapped potential for success with the Tick, so this is definitely something I'm looking forward to.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
pennydreadful
trash

More Tick is always a good thing.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm not a huge fan of the cartoon but I loved the live action show, I felt it was just not given an opportunity to shine, I hope this new show is very similar in nature to the live original action show, maybe a little more action would be nice. Counting they have the same actor for The Tick is a good sign. Now that superheroes are bigger than ever a parody show like The Tick might get its time to shine.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Amazon.com has ordered a pilot for the return of The Tick. Patrick Warburton will return as the titular character.

I just have one thing to say about this. Ahem... SPOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...-tick-20140902
So is this only going to be streaming? 'cus if it's anything like the original, I'm gonna want the DVDs

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
This is awesome news! I have wished they would bring it back or do a DVD of it for a long time. I don't know it it was ever put on DVD, but the series was taken off far too soon, IMHO. That goes for the La series, too.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
This is awesome news! I have wished they would bring it back or do a DVD of it for a long time. I don't know it it was ever put on DVD, but the series was taken off far too soon, IMHO. That goes for the La series, too.
Yea, as a matter of fact I bought it earlier this year at WalMart for $5.
It's been out for awhile... sadly, no bonus features

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
DarthRaphael

Hopefully this will be free on Amazon Prime.

I edit your posts
DarthRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Did anyone watch this?

I still have two more episodes to go but man I don't understand the route they decided to take this show on, it's still a parody I guess, and they have the budget to show fights and whatnot, it's still an adult show like the previous one. It's just not funny, the writing is terrible and boring, it doesn't seem to know that it's a parody at times. I'm really disappointed so far, I'm hoping the last episode can make it work but I just don't understand what they were going for here.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I saw most of it. I liked it overall, but I agree the tone is a bit odd.

Spoiler:
They dragged the "is it all in Arthur's head" angle out too long for me.
Maybe it would work better for an audience who had never heard of the Tick before.

I thought it was funny, but not really laugh-out-loud funny. It's strangely subtle for a Tick show. For example, I like how the woman with electricity powers is always covered in lint, but it's not knee-slappingly funny or anything.

The biggest problem with the show was that it was an Amazon Prime exclusive. Until a week ago, Amazon only sold books in Australia, so unless you were building a library, it wasn't worth subscribing to Prime. You sure as poop didn't get free shipping internationally.

They sell goods here now, so it's more attractive.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Finished watching it, what a let down, also the whole Amazon Prime Video service is horrible, the interface, the content, everything.

Yeah the show never becomes out loud funny, it's too story focused but the story is not interesting, really the whole origin could've been one episode instead of a 6 episode mini-series.

The humor is sometimes there but it's not enough when compared with how much below average segments you have to go through. It's cool to see a live action Tick show with a budget (well when compared to the original) but man the other show did so much more with so much less.

I hope it gets a second season and they make it better.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The second part of season 1 came out and it's an improvement, the story doesn't drag as much as the first part of season 1 even if the story arc does seem to drag a bit. There is a bit more action and better character interaction which all made this second part of the season far more enjoyable than the first.

There's a lot of potential here, I don't know why it's so boring. Luckily it was renewed for a second season so we can hope they improve. The comedy needs to be reworked, it's just not that funny right now and that's the biggest flaw and what makes it boring. Look at all the original tick live action show did without a budget. Stuff like the VLM were wasted since there was a lot more potential there.

I re-wrote my mini-reviews here.

Last edited by sdp; 03-31-2018 at 08:19 PM.