The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 03:38 AM   #21
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I mostly gravitate towards Troma & Japanese horror. Rubber creatures, gore, exploitation, they're my thing.
Any good ones to advise?
I am looking for a horror in this vein for Saturday night
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

Well some Troma favorites are Toxic Avenger 4 & Terror Firmer, as far as the Japanese ones go I'd suggest Tokyo Gore Police, Mutant Girls Squad, Robo Geisha, Aliens Vs. Ninjas, & Frankenstein Girl Vs. Vampire Girl for starters. They're all pretty goofy, but heavy on the gore, fun, & suggestive imagery. Dead Alive is great for satisfying this kinda need, too. If you just want straight up violence, with less traditional horror, go with Ichi The Killer.

The Gate is an unrelated film that I'd highly recommend to any horror fan, if only for it's effects. Lots of stopmotion & stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #23
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Thanks.

And what about Japanese movies with the same feel as Ring, Grudge, Dark Water... ?
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:03 AM   #24
Powder
So tired of this place

Someone else would have to answer that. I stick with gore for the most part. I'm not well versed in the more dramatic kind of films they produce there.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #25
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'm not really intro horror movies. My main problem with them is that most of them usually try to disturb, scare or just, well, horrify you instead of simply telling a good story with horrifying elements. It also doesn't help that when I was a kid horror films utterly terrified me...and my Mom and sister couldn't get enough of them. Whenever we'd go to the video rental store I'd always say something like "Can we get the Lion King?" My Mom and sister would just stare at each other for a brief second before saying something like "Let's get Child's Play instead.". So that was always my family movie night, watching something that would give me nightmares and make me terrified and/or paranoid. To top it all off, my Mom would send us to bed RIGHT after watching whatever new or old terror I had been exposed to...with the lights off. I couldn't even just go off and play by myself because during my young days all my toys were kept in the same room as the TV. So my only option was to watch something that I'd regret or go into another room all by myself with nothing to do. Always hated when we would rent a movie, only consolation was that I got to rent a video game...which I couldn't play until the next day because of the movie.

However, I really like older horror movies like the Universal Monsters films like Dracula, etc. The Bride of Frankenstein is probably my favorite horror movie. The most "modern" horror series that I often think about is the Evil Dead series. Just something about them has never left me. Maybe it's seeing Ash's character progress through the trilogy, maybe it's because Army of Darkness is a lot of fun to watch. Or maybe it's because, I kid you not, I got so scared during a jump scare in the first one that I had an out of body experience. But for whatever reason I often think about watching them again, I've still not seen all of Evil Dead 2 because I closed my eyes and covered my ears through most of it. Hey, I wasn't even in the third grade yet, give me a break!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #26
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortock Diab View Post
Thanks.

And what about Japanese movies with the same feel as Ring, Grudge, Dark Water... ?
If you wanna see the most messed up Japanese horror film you will ever see you should check out Audition. I warn you though. It is NOT for the faint of heart. It's a Takashi Miike film. He also made Ichi The Killer and 13 Assassins. 13 Assassins is one of the greatest movies ever if you've never seen it. It's on Netflix. Not horror but a GREAT Samurai movie.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #27
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Well some Troma favorites are Toxic Avenger 4 & Terror Firmer, as far as the Japanese ones go I'd suggest Tokyo Gore Police, Mutant Girls Squad, Robo Geisha, Aliens Vs. Ninjas, & Frankenstein Girl Vs. Vampire Girl for starters. They're all pretty goofy, but heavy on the gore, fun, & suggestive imagery. Dead Alive is great for satisfying this kinda need, too. If you just want straight up violence, with less traditional horror, go with Ichi The Killer.

The Gate is an unrelated film that I'd highly recommend to any horror fan, if only for it's effects. Lots of stopmotion & stuff.
Tokyo Gore Police is inSANE dude! I was just telling someone about that movie the other day.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #28
Powder
So tired of this place

13 Assassins might be the best samurai movie ever. As you said, it's totally not horror, but there are some similarly disturbing elements, & plenty of violence.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #29
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I see Child's Play was mentioned. The 7th Chucky movie is supposedly coming next year. So I'm personally excited for that.

I know these topics get made every year but other than listing some of my favorites, which I've done before, I don't know what else to add.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #30
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I see Child's Play was mentioned. The 7th Chucky movie is supposedly coming next year. So I'm personally excited for that.
The most recent film, Curse of Chucky, was very good and had a bit of novelty to it. I hope this next one is a direct sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #31
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
13 Assassins might be the best samurai movie ever. As you said, it's totally not horror, but there are some similarly disturbing elements, & plenty of violence.
Yeah it would pretty much make Tarantino blush. LOL!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
Allio
Foot Elite

I was reading the comicbook Tomboy and saw that "Action Labs" was doing Puppet Master comics, so what are the opinions on Puppet Master?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #33
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Aw, dude. Great flick. Chopping Mall is another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
But for whatever reason I often think about watching them again, I've still not seen all of Evil Dead 2 because I closed my eyes and covered my ears through most of it. Hey, I wasn't even in the third grade yet, give me a break!
You should check out the Evil Dead remake that came out a few years ago. It's the only remake I can think of that I actively did not want to happen, but ended up loving it after seeing it.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #34
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Full Length ‘Death House’ Trailer Descends Into Chaos

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #35
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Ehhhhh...not my bag.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #36
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
The most recent film, Curse of Chucky, was very good and had a bit of novelty to it. I hope this next one is a direct sequel.
Ya I love the Chucky movies. It is going to be a sequel.

No solid info yet but it's supposed to clear up the ending of Curse. That's all that's been said. Nica, the girl in the wheelchair is supposed to return too.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #37
sdp
-

I try to watch at least one horror movie in October, I think I'll watch the Friday the 13th remake. I've always liked Jason but as an adult I find it hard to watch any of his movies but this remake from what I read kind of takes the first 3 movies stories and combines them into one film so that might be the way to go.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #38
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Just watched Kobolos

Found it on YouTube and was going to let it play in the background but I got sucked in. For a budget movie it holds a great atmosphere and has some great gore effects.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #39
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Not much of a teaser but uhhh yeah

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #40
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Watched Syngenor the other day

Not a bad creature feature and I enjoyed David Gale's character. You should be able to pick up the Synapse release on the cheap if this one tickles your fancy.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote