The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #361
Scandia
Mad Scientist

Currently listening to "What Janie Found", and just finished listening to "The Voice on the Radio". Both are by Caroline B. Cooney. I had read the first two books of that series in high school- but the two final ones were published much more recently.

Next in order to be listened to- Deathly Hallows!

Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 AM   #362
Swany
Stone Warrior

As soon as I can find "The colour of magic" I'll read that, my book shelves are two layers thick.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #363
discordiatookie
facehugger

Just finished James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall' which was a thoroughly enjoyable haunted house story. And now i'm finally biting the bullet and reading the first Harry Potter book, my better half has them all and plans to queue up at midnight for the last book, so I thought it was about time I got my finger out and read them all...

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #364
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I mean helloo! What else would I be reading??
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #365
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I mean helloo! What else would I be reading??
I dunno, I assumed everyone was finished by now.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #366
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

Predator by Patricia Cornwall
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #367
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I dunno, I assumed everyone was finished by now.
Well I wasn't able to go to the bookstore at midnight and I was working all day Saturday...so as soon as I had the time today I headed off to Wal-Mart and baught it (cuz it was cheap at only $17.78 )
Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #368
Scandia
Mad Scientist

Don't assume we're finished, since I bought the audiobook and am on the first CD since I only listen to it while in the car.

Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #369
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Audiobooks don't count anyways, since this thread is called "What are you reading now." As in the real reading, with the pages, the letters and the eyes, not the CDs and the lazyness.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #370
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Yep, just got Potter as an early B-day present...I plan on starting it tonite if I get the chance...

B/w this and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series ending with the upcoming book, I'm going to have nothing left to read!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #371
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
B/w this and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series ending with the upcoming book, I'm going to have nothing left to read!
I know how ya feel. The final book in the Kushiel saga (er at least I think it's the final book considering I thought the series had initially ended with the first trillogy 3 years ago) comes out next year so I have at least one thing to look forward to (still need to buy Kushiel's Justice).

Thankfully I have 2 books to buy after HP7. Kushiel's Justice (out now) and Ravens of Avalon (which comes out August 2nd!! ).

Knowing Diana L. Paxton there'll be another Avalon book in a couple years. Ravens of Avalon is about Boudicca. Just not sure where it fits in the Avalon saga....I know it's before Mists of Avalon (as are all the other books in the series)...but Im not sure if it's set before Priestess of Avalon and Lady of Avalon or after... Either way it's the 8th book in the series
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #372
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Now reading "Ravens of Avalon" by Diane L. Paxson. This is the 6th book in the series originally written by Marion Zimmer Bradley, but the 2nd book chronologically. It takes place before the events in "The First House" (Aka The Forest of Avalon) and after the events in "Ancestors of Avalon" (there is a seperate 2 part series called "Web of Light" and "Web of Darkness" that features some characters from Ancestors of Avalon, but it's not nessisarily considered to be part of the Avalon saga itself)

"Ravens..." follows the life of Boudicca, queen of the Icini, who faught off the Romans for 2 years and is considered a great hero in England (she's even got a statue in London). There are many books about her (I reccomend Manda Scott's 4 part series) as well as movies (with a new one out in 2008 ).
Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #373
Nightwatcher
Foot Soldier

I'm nearing the end of the 4th book of the Dark Tower series.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #374
xmen510
Foot Soldier

The Shining Ones: Book 2 of The Tamuli by David Eddings.
xmen510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #375
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I am currently reading "Queen" by Alex Haley for the second time...the first time I read it, I was in the seventh grade, I think. I bought it two days ago for a measly two bucks at my local library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #376
discordiatookie
facehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatcher View Post
I'm nearing the end of the 4th book of the Dark Tower series.
OOOhh the Dark Tower, my favourite!!! And Wizard and Glass too!! How'd you like it? That's my favourite one out of em all I must say!!! D'you know that Marvel has been putting out comics based on that one? They're pretty awesome!

Well I finished all the Harry Potter books, must say they were ALL amazing, my favourites being Prisoner of Azkaban and the Deathly Hallows. Also, reading books 6 and 7 were especially great, as I didn't have the movies stuck in my head, as they ain't been made yet!!!

And I just bought the prelude to Planet Hulk tpb and the Planet Hulk hardback yesterday and just finished them this evening. Berserkness! A bit behind though, gonna haveta wait til World War Hulk gets collected til I go onto them, as I ain't about to spend a fortune hunting down all they back issues!!!

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #377
Nightwatcher
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookie View Post
OOOhh the Dark Tower, my favourite!!! And Wizard and Glass too!! How'd you like it? That's my favourite one out of em all I must say!!! D'you know that Marvel has been putting out comics based on that one? They're pretty awesome!
I really liked it, as I have with all of them so far. I can't decide if I like this one or the second book better. I hope he goes more into his past with Cuthbert and Alain in later books because Cuthbert was the man.

I am now almost through part 1 of Book 5 and I am digging it quite a bit as well.

I had heard that Marvel was putting the comics out but I didn't see them at the bookstore last week when I bought Book 5. Although my Barnes and Nobles has a pretty crappy comic collection. I suppose I could go to the comic book store near me and see if they have them yet.

This series is quickly becoming one of if not my favorite. I still hold a place in my heart for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, but this one is definately quite a bit more epic.

My real problem is I have no idea what I will read when I'm through with it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #378
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
I am currently reading "Queen" by Alex Haley for the second time...the first time I read it, I was in the seventh grade, I think. I bought it two days ago for a measly two bucks at my local library
Kunta kente!! I have that book around here somewhere... just never read it (got it in some free promotion or something). Loved the movie tho.

Anyways... currently reading Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card...the first book in the Alvin Maker saga (there's like 8 books in the series). I noticed there was a comic currently being published but it's of the 2nd book (and there was never one done of the first! WTF?! ). So...have to read the first book before I start reading the comic (Red Prophet BTW)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #379
Brodie
Certified Teacher

RANT, by Chuck Palahniuk
Old 08-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #380
Swany
Stone Warrior

I bought the transformer prequel "Ghosts of yesterday" today and I'm working my way through it.