The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Sosetsuken
Mouser

Bootleg/Fake Neca Box Set Turtles?

Hello everyone!

Its common knowledge that there is an abundance of bootleg/fake Neca turtles coming out of China. As the bootleggers probably never got their hands on the moulds for the extra pieces found in the clamshell packaged turtles the fakes always seem to be sold in the tube packaging (without said accessories). My question is whether or not there is/was ever bootlegs/fakes of the box set of four turtles in the long Neca box (both coloured and black and white versions)? I have read that there possibly may have been (but this is usually conjecture) or people had seen some for sale that looked fishy etc. but I have never seen any real proof or pictures from people that had bought them. So do they exist? Obviously anything that was a convention exclusive such as the box sets that contain the extra accessories can be counted out for the same reason as the clamshells but what about the other box sets that contain just the four turtles?

Cheers!
Sosetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Reputator
Foot Soldier

I've only seen them on tubes. The quality varies wildly so I never dared take the plunge.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
cloud
Stone Warrior

I have in fact seem box sets of 4 available at Chinese websites but it's hard to tell if they are bootlegs considering the toys were made in China in the first place. It might just be left overs or taken straight from the factory.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
DVD
Mad Scientist

As all of the Neca toys were made here in the first place...
Anyways, the tubed toys are, on the whole excellent value.
The box sets turn up from time to time, as do the clam shells.
Box sets range in price from around £100-300 depending upon the seller. Not everyone is holding out for silly money. The BW sets are very infrequent.
If these were in deed bootlegged they'd be cheaper than four tubed Turtles, and I've never seen any at that price.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Sosetsuken
Mouser

yes, that is the funny thing the bootlegs could indeed be coming out of a factory next door to or even the same factory as the bona fide necas used to - its all made in china
i guess what i meant by "coming out of china" was that a lot of listings of them on auction websites are listed as new and ship from china and are of course bootlegs.

yes i wonder if the box sets people have seen on chinese websites are indeed actually the real deal? i assume that china did actually get some real products there as well? i guess the price might be some sort of indicator on those, if it was very cheap then its probably too good to be true and thus fake-but then again its still not 100 proof and only speculation/assumption.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
madyankees
Hench Mutant

Yes I have bought the bw turtles that came in a box set on eBay. There was white paint peeling off at some of the joints revealing the green underneath. I got it from China and returned them eventually.
madyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #7
madyankees
Hench Mutant

Just to add on. The "bootleg" set also came with missing paint apps on Leo's katana handles. And generally the white color on all the figures were a very dirty white
Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
Sosetsuken
Mouser

interesting. did they have some of the other bootleg signs such as the harder shell and bandana plastic and arched foot etc. ?

also did the box look like the real neca box set box in terms of artwork and text and those kind of things?

you should put some pics up as it would be helpful for anyone else in the future looking for proof and tell tell signs of box set fakes

cheers
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
madyankees
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosetsuken View Post
interesting. did they have some of the other bootleg signs such as the harder shell and bandana plastic and arched foot etc. ?

also did the box look like the real neca box set box in terms of artwork and text and those kind of things?

you should put some pics up as it would be helpful for anyone else in the future looking for proof and tell tell signs of box set fakes

cheers
Sadly I no longer have the pictures. Phone died so pictures went along with it. Actually the seller only gave me the insert of the box set. It did come with the artwork of the weapons in the background. The "outer" box with all the cool artwork was not included (yes I was that desperate to get myself a set of the NECAs back then).

Surprisingly I do remember the front shell was quite soft. I don recall much about the bandana though. I had the set for one night before shipping them back to China the very next day.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Seedkiller
Foot Soldier

I have a real set and a ko set. Can't tell any differences whatsoever. I guess maybe one or two of the ko's bandana is slightly harder.........no big deal
Seedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Sosetsuken
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyankees View Post
Sadly I no longer have the pictures. Phone died so pictures went along with it. Actually the seller only gave me the insert of the box set. It did come with the artwork of the weapons in the background. The "outer" box with all the cool artwork was not included (yes I was that desperate to get myself a set of the NECAs back then).

Surprisingly I do remember the front shell was quite soft. I don recall much about the bandana though. I had the set for one night before shipping them back to China the very next day.

mmmm i wonder if that means that the seller had at some point a fake box to go along with the insert and turtles but lost it or whatever - or that the bootleggers attempted at some point to make the box, insert and turtles but only got round to doing the insert and turtles - or that you were sent a combination of a genuine insert from a real box but fake turtles?

its still hard to tell then if the long neca boxes were indeed copied
Old 09-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

sorry to hijack your thread i just have 1 question and im done, didnt think it was worth starting a new thread.
does anyone know of a place i can score the black and white figures loose? i need 3 to complete a set (the 3 i had met tragic ends) all i have is Leo and the box. i tried Ebay and Amazon, but all i find is them in box for 3-500. one guy has a loose set up right now but for some reason the clown thinks they are worth 400 even with a Mikey that has a broken torso joint
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
smitbro2
Thug

Question

I have a question as well that probably doesn't warrant its own topic if we are already on the subject. I really want an authentic NECA Raph, and I noticed ToyWiz has them for sale in the tube packaging. What are the chances that it is the bootleg version? I know ToyWiz can have mixed reviews but would they stoop to selling these bootlegs as legit at prices of $68?
smitbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Bravesfanjd
Random Punk

With so many bootlegs out there I just bought those rather then try to decide which ones were real since I didn't have the money for a boxed set
Bravesfanjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbro2 View Post
I have a question as well that probably doesn't warrant its own topic if we are already on the subject. I really want an authentic NECA Raph, and I noticed ToyWiz has them for sale in the tube packaging. What are the chances that it is the bootleg version? I know ToyWiz can have mixed reviews but would they stoop to selling these bootlegs as legit at prices of $68?
It's probably legit, but I wouldn't put it past those shady f*cks.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Seedkiller
Foot Soldier

Tube versions are considered ko's! Toywiz is jackin fools
Seedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
smitbro2
Thug

Not to defend toywiz, but weren't there legit tube figures? Guess I'm just trying to be hopeful since I can never find clamshell raph
Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
kidvid20
Random Punk

ToywiZ is a ripoff. Jackin up prices on figs when you can go on eBay and get them cheaper
Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Yeah, the tubes are definitely not legit and it's horrible Toywiz is selling the set for $200. They do appear to have a legit Mikey and Leo though.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
smitbro2
Thug

Well that's disappointing to hear. I could have sworn there were legit tube necas. Guess I'll keep stalking ebay for clamshell