The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Disney parks lay off 28,000 people

See here:
https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-...staff-members/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm sure they'll all be just fine. We're not supposed to worry about any of that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Happiest Place on Earth... now with headcount reduction?
Old 09-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Never ever say that giants like this can not fail and fall.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, it's easy to "fail" when people aren't allowed to go to work but we're not supposed to worry about that.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

How is this failing? They're stock's been rallying after a big fall in March. The streaming service is going strong (despite crappy original movies like Mulan tanking). The theme parks may take a hit here, but the company is still doing fine.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Being Disney they are probably in no danger of disappearing, so hopefully in time they can bring back those who want to return.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Oh my goodness.

The world just keeps getting worse and worse.

At this rate, I don't think our current society will survive for much longer.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm sure they'll all be just fine. We're not supposed to worry about any of that.
Stay home, stay safe!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Oh my goodness.

The world just keeps getting worse and worse.

At this rate, I don't think our current society will survive for much longer.
You forgot to add some sparkles and hearts and teddy bears.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

The world is truly morphing into a corrupt version of itself.

It's Late-stage Capitalism at its finest.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

'Cause everything was great and peachy 50 years ago.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

No, this is the end-stage of ANTI-capitalism.

Capitalism says "People get sick every day, go to work."

In this case people aren't allowed to go outside for pretty much any reason, and thus, people lost their jobs because "Your job isn't as important as my grandma's life you monster." Which in turn leads to tons of people losing their entire livelihood.

If this were a display of "capitalism" in action, things wouldn't have been shut down and thus some , most or all of these people would still have jobs.

I know Lefties aren't good at Cause-Effect as a general rule, but saying all these people lost their jobs "Because Capitalism" is beyond ignorant. It's literally because of ANTI-capitalists insisting that everyone stay home wrapped up in bubble wrap that these people all got laid off.

Also, don't weep crocodile tears or pretend to have sympathy for these people, Kraken. You don't. You and your ilk have been the ones saying for 8 months that "flattening the curve" was the only important thing. Well, this is what you get from that. If you or anyone leaning left gave a crap about these people, you'd be alright with letting people off the leash and going back to work.

But you don't care. So don't pretend to. It's vulgar.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #14
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Leo, I don't know anyone personally whose lost their job. Everyone in my very LARGE family is doing A-OK financially. They go outside all the time for lots of reasons. I took my family to the zoo last week, then we ate at a restaurant. We went to a museum a month before that.

Hell, my family just drove down the East Coast, stopped in two different states for several nights before reaching Florida. That means they stayed in hotels and went to restaurants and all sorts of fun things.

My point is: NO ONE IS KEEPING YOU INDOORS.

Go work at McDonald's or Walmart. Be an essential worker. If you're refusing to work because you're too old and need unemployment and food stamps to make it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Be a capitalist. Take the risk you keep encouraging others to take. Work harder. There's really no excuse at this point.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

When I'm goddamn good and ready, pal.

Let's see you go from $40 an hour to "chump change" working with a bunch of people who barely graduated high school, and suffer it with a smile, all because your Very Good Job got shut down for essentially NO REASON.

I'm glad some people get to keep their push-button work-from-home jobs. Some of us weren't so lucky and forgot to learn computers.

If you don't expect me to be bitter, I challenge you to walk a mile or ten in my shoes before you pass judgment. You wouldn't do it, either. You wouldn't gladly perk up and go mop f*cking floors if you were in my place, so kindly don't pretend.

I did everything I was supposed to do. I accomplished what I worked so hard to achieve. And it all got taken away for NO REASON. Now my options are "Go work a chimp's job" or "starve". WHAT DID I FINISH F*CKING SCHOOL FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Just spare me, man. You're a good dude but don't pretend that if you were in my place you'd be any less bitter or more inclined to accept the defeat.

I still have some unemployment left. I'll go work for peanuts next to some functionally-illiterate putz working the fryer when I'm goddamn good and ready. I had a REAL job. I LIKED my Real Job. And then some pussies insisted that it all had to go away because THEY were afraid of catching a goddamn bug.

$40 an hour to $12. That's your elegant "solution". After busting my ass for decades to get where I was. You wouldn't do it, and you wouldn't be happy about it. So again, don't pretend.

You're a nice guy, but your response to my struggle absolutely reeks of privilege.

I'm glad you kept your job. Sincerely But anyone who isn't as fortunate as you is f*cked. Absolutely f*cked. And your suggestion that they go pet sh*t with the chickens and "make the best of it" is vulgar.

That's not what we worked for. BUT. We didn't get a say, a choice, or a vote. We got told, "My grandma's life is more important then yours. Go mask up and work at McDonalds."

F*ck that. Like I said, I didn't bust my ass for my entire adult life to go work a failure's job just because OTHER PEOPLE made mistakes in handling the Scamdemic.

Count your blessings, but don't you or anyone goddamn dare tell me to "suck it up". I worked too goddamn hard for too goddamn long to swallow that loser sh*t with a smile.

I'd honestly rather kill myself than work at McDonalds or mop floors at Walmart. Sincerely, I'd be better off in the goddamn ground. Because I'm not a goddamn loser and that's where losers end up. I didn't fail, "The System" failed ME. I don't deserve to suffer that lot. I'm gonna be 40 f*cking years old sooner than I want to admit. And once again, I didn't go through everything I went through in life - only SOME of which you people are aware of - to let THAT be my goddamn fate.

I'm not a failure, and I'm not a loser. So to suggest that I "suck it up" and go make hay with the failures and the losers after I DID WHAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO is disgusting.

And I keep a few bottles of pills near the bed for that exact reason. "Just In Case". I'm BETTER than those people. And if my only "hope" is to forget everything I ever worked for and go scrub toilets instead, well... No. Not doing it.

Either I get to go back to doing what I already paid into and was good at, the only job I ever wanted and the one that paid me extremely well because I was extremely good at it. OR. I don't need to keep kicking around this rock. It's that simple.

We'll see how the next few months goes. But I'll die and rot in the ground before I "give up" and accept defeat when I DIDN'T F*CKING FAIL.

Have A Nice Day.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #16
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Leo, I am sorry about your current situation.

I never want to witness people lose their livelihoods.

I just hope that you, and others that are in a similar predicament, will be able to return to your jobs in due time.

Please take care.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks.

My business doesn't exist anymore where I live, period. Closest gyms are almost an hour away.

The owner didn't want to shut down. None of the customers wanted us to shut down. BUT. We "weren't allowed" to open and yet the landlord insisted upon the $5000/mo. rent on the facility. If we were "allowed" to open again and let customers give us money, it might have gone differently.

None of us were given a vote. Had we been, we never would have closed. We would have taken the mandatory two-weeks off in the beginning and then gone back to operating as normal. That's what everyone WANTED to do, customers included. I run into some of them when I'm out shopping. They're furious. "You guys had to shut down for no reason. This whole thing's a scam. It's ridiculous already!" Every. Single. One.

BUT. A few people who still haven't ended up getting sick, were afraid of maybe getting sick. And those people made the choice for ALL of us. That shouldn't have been the case.

People cry about "democracy" until it turns out most people don't agree with them. THEN it's "Well, we know better, so take your medicine."

It's whatever. "Thanks". My job's never coming back so I don't know. Like I said, I can ride unemployment for a few more months. After that, I'll have some very tough decisions to make about how much of my dignity I'm willing to sacrifice for the "privilege" of working a monkey's job.

I had it good. Other people came along and took it away. In the end, everything I worked for my entire life meant nothing. And I have nothing to show for it. I'm no better off than some junkie who never finished high school, and my prospects are the exact same as theirs.

Because OTHER PEOPLE are afraid of being coughed on. That's why I lost everything. NOBODY around here is even SICK, for God's sake.

It's tough to swallow. And when people tell you "suck it up" and "be grateful" and everything else... it's a bitter pill.

I'd GLADLY take my chances with the f*cking virus if I got to keep my $40 an hour job. That's an easy decision. Might die? Oh well. I might die anyway! But at least I wouldn't die a goddamn miserable failure working a pauper's job next to some ambitionless loser.

We'll see. Thanks for your "support". Doesn't change anything but it's duly noted.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

Once again you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #19
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Well, now Disney is planning to terminate 32,000 employees, all within the first half of their upcoming fiscal year.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 11-26-2020 at 05:00 AM.