The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

New "City at War" from IDW!

The Road to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Landmark #100 Issue Begins with Blockbuster City at War Storyline

Quote:
“City at War, which echoes the famous TMNTstoryline from the Mirage Publishing days, is our epic tale leading to our oversized issue #100,” says Group Editor Bobby Curnow. “This storyline will be the culmination of all the story points we’ve laid since issue #51, and in many ways, since the very beginning of our saga.”
New York City will be plunged chaos as four factions wrestle for control. At the center of it all, the Turtles face difficult decisions on how to be true to their individual selves and morals, while still keeping their family together against insurmountable odds.

Spoiler:

http://brutalgamer.com/2018/10/09/ny...gi-joe-events/
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is great, but I'm confused, is this just an arc in the main ongoing or another separate mini? From the way it sounds, this is just the new arc from issue 90 onward unless I'm mistaken.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, I wish they wouldn't invite that comparison.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I always thought that "City Fall" was the IDW equivalent of "City at War" but I guess we'll see how this one plays out!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Oh, great... I just had my pants zipper fixed after the 20/20 special was announced, and now this!

An "everyone vs everyone" kind of thing, huh? I dig it, gimme a good battle royale any day!

Wonder who the four factions are? Splinter's Foot Clan, Karai's Foot Clan, the Mutanimals... and the EPF? Stockman? Null? The Mafia?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Now I think the ongoing will be reload and start again with #01.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, I wish they wouldn't invite that comparison.
Same. Don't invite comparisons to the absolute pinnacle of all TMNT. Just don't. It's embarrassing.

Still looking forward to the arc, though... Foot under Splinter, EPF, Karai's crew, and Mutanimals, is my prediction. Although that fourth faction could be Null instead, I guess.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

I'd say the two Foot Clans and the Mutanimals are a lock, the question now is who the fourth and final faction is. Assuming, of course, there aren't a bunch of other smaller factions involved as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'd say the two Foot Clans and the Mutanimals are a lock, the question now is who the fourth and final faction is.
It'll absolutely be the EPF.

Exhibit A: Raphael Macro-Series.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Oh, great... I just had my pants zipper fixed after the 20/20 special was announced, and now this!

An "everyone vs everyone" kind of thing, huh? I dig it, gimme a good battle royale any day!

Wonder who the four factions are? Splinter's Foot Clan, Karai's Foot Clan, the Mutanimals... and the EPF? Stockman? Null? The Mafia?
Maybe some of the factions have made alliances with each other?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Now I think the ongoing will be reload and start again with #01.
Oh, dear Stan Lee, please don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Maybe some of the factions have made alliances with each other?
Good point! I went in guns blazing and didn't consider that. Assuming one of them is the EPF, Bishop will be allied with Stockman (insofar as Stockman allies with anyone until it doesn't suit his purposes anymore), and Splinter has Casey and Hun wrapped around his finger... Oooh boy, this is gonna be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It'll absolutely be the EPF.

Exhibit A: Raphael Macro-Series.
Going from the concept above, could be the EPF/Stockman and Null.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
Igglet

OH MAN, they're really setting the expectations high with this one, aren't they? Well take my money, IDW. Take ALL of it.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Hm... Isn't this going to be confusing in the long run? If it's really called City at War that is, it reminds me of all those DC and Marvel events bleeding together.

"Yo, do want a trade of Secret Wars?"
"Secret Wars, Secret Wars II, Secret War or Secret Wars?"
"You said Secret Wars twice."
"I know."
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hm... Isn't this going to be confusing in the long run? If it's really called City at War that is, it reminds me of all those DC and Marvel events bleeding together.

"I know."
Overheard that same conversation at my local comic book store between two guys who kept confusing the original Secret Wars for Secret War. Had to step in and explain to them myself, and this was waaay before the newest Secret Wars...

One easy solution, though: City at War (Mirage) and City at War (IDW), boom!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

"I know."
Quote:
Overheard that same conversation at my local comic book store between two guys who kept confusing the original Secret Wars for Secret War. Had to step in and explain to them myself, and this was waaay before the newest Secret Wars...

One easy solution, though: City at War (Mirage) and City at War (IDW), boom!
Yeah, but IDW still shouldn't be copying the title. City at War wasn't just about a bunch of factions fighting for control of NYC, it was about moral uncertainty, a loss of direction, and a shattered family. About a cycle of violence.

IDW should pick a different title. This is like me using "A Catcher in the Rye" for my novel. Why invite such comparison to such a vaulted classic? There's no way I can live up to that.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but IDW still shouldn't be copying the title. City at War wasn't just about a bunch of factions fighting for control of NYC, it was about moral uncertainty, a loss of direction, and a shattered family. About a cycle of violence.
Who's to say the themes aren't exactly the same? Who's to say IDW's City at War won't be better than Mirage's City at War? Hey, it's a possibility. Everything in life is a possibility. I completely understand the other side but we should at least wait until the arc is out and complete. Gonna be a long-ass wait as it is.

Quote:
IDW should pick a different title. This is like me using "A Catcher in the Rye" for my novel. Why invite such comparison to such a vaulted classic? There's no way I can live up to that.
But you're not the person currently in charge of that book's IP and the subject of both works would probably differ wildly. I think IDW is entitled to at least use the same title as they're the ones currently heading the comic book side of the TMNT franchise. The 2003 cartoon also appropriated several Mirage story titles and no one complained. I know they were adaptations, but really... It's not that big of a difference.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Who's to say the themes aren't exactly the same? Who's to say IDW's City at War won't be better than Mirage's City at War? Hey, it's a possibility. Everything in life is a possibility. I completely understand the other side but we should at least wait until the arc is out and complete. Gonna be a long-ass wait as it is.
Yeah...

But given how we can compare the tones and themes of Mirage and IDW TMNT, and see the history and precedent, it's fair to say the title is a hindrance.

Besides, you just KNOW Andrew hasn't said his fill on this yet. Do YOU want to give more fuel to his fire?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Igglet

Quote:

But that's the deal, this story isn't just going to be a bunch of factions fighting for control of NYC, because, frankly, what IDW's TMNT run has been about for so long now HAS been moral uncertainty, a loss of direction, and a shattered family. The name "City at War" is, all things considered, VERY fitting.

And, yes, they have a LOT to live up to. But these are the same people who've brought us such good TMNT stories so far and have created what many consider the best TMNT run ever. If anyone can do it, it's them.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
But that's the deal, this story isn't just going to be a bunch of factions fighting for control of NYC, because, frankly, what IDW's TMNT run has been about for so long now HAS been moral uncertainty, a loss of direction, and a shattered family. The name "City at War" is, all things considered, VERY fitting.

And, yes, they have a LOT to live up to. But these are the same people who've brought us such good TMNT stories so far and have created what many consider the best TMNT run ever. If anyone can do it, it's them.
I like you!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Nick and 2k3’s city at war were even more divergent than this. The basic idea is that there’s a bunch of conflicted factions.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote