The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord

What about Mondo made you want to punch him in the face? He never came across as an annoying character.

He's supposed to be a pot smoking skateboarding 80's teen...but the pot was left out for kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #82
Raven
follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Collector Guy View Post
And didn't Metalhead never have a personality in the OT? Wasn't Mutagen Man pretty annoying (voice-wise)?
It's the changes that make it worthwhile. I'm interested to see what changes we get with Mondo Gecko.
Exactly, this new series has been giving characters a much needed fresh of breath air. Even giving some characters a personality all together, metalhead is a great example. In the few episodes he has appeared in he's shown more character then he has in past shows put together.

Mondo wasn't a favorite of mine, but I'm quite excited to see what they will do with him.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #83
PRD13
Random Punk

The new mondo design is really awesome looking.
PRD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #84
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What about Mondo made you want to punch him in the face? He never came across as an annoying character.

He's supposed to be a pot smoking skateboarding 80's teen...but the pot was left out for kids.
I hated his eyes and their expressions, and the way they stuck up, especially in the Archie comics. Something about them makes me hate him.

This new one does not have the eyes that I hate. Thus he is cute and nice to squeeze.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #85
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Me. Once I heard Robbie Rist was voicing him.
This. This. This.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 AM   #86
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Splinter trained the Turtles for a few years I bet. It's not like Shredder met Krang right away.
Um....Shredder meeting Krang is how he got his "experimental mutagen" that turned Yoshi and the Turtles into mutants.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #87
Leo656
The Franchise

You SEE why we can't have 8 or 9 different origin stories floating around?! Even people who have been watching this sh*t for 25 years can't get their details right!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #88
Davetello
Banned

Yep, it's convoluted at the best of times ^

I like Mondo Gecko and am interested to see the treatment he gets in Nick. I'm not even one of these people who loved the mutant trend in the OT. But I do like Gecko.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #89
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I gotta admit, I kinda wish they'd hire Michael Rosembaum to be the voice of Mondo. Nothing against Robbie Rist, but they've got enough TMNT alumni from previous incarnations on this show as it is. Hell, even Kelly Hu is connected to the live action films via Ernie Reyers Jr. who was her love interest in Surf Ninjas

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 08-14-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #90
Megchan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
Maybe not 'dumbed down,' but significant nerfing. Plus they act a little too goofy and as comic relief, which often goes hand in hand with a significant nerf. How you can tell is that Tigerclaw is rarely goofy and as such feels like the most threatening.

Anyway, I don't think Mondo will be a Sue. I feel a lot better regard towards this version because it actually looks cute, instead of trying to press every annoyance button I have with it's appearance. A lot about the Archie comic Mondo made me want to punch it repeatedly in the face (same for OT Mondo) whereas this one makes me want to give it a big squeezing hug and go 'D'awww!" So I consider that a plus.
Bradford and Xever probably aren't accustomed to their "new" bodies yet, they've hardly been a mutant for a year. Tigerclaw, on the other hand, was mutated as a boy, so he's had many years to become accustomed to his body. That and he's a cat; cats are well-known for their gracefulness. Now I'm not saying cats don't have their klutzy moments, but for the most part they're graceful.

Image by RamyB of TeeTurtle
Megchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #91
Raphael4
Random Punk

Not really that familiar with the character but if it's a character to do with Mikey that's great as mikey needs more screen time, I feel that donnie gets way too much.
Raphael4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #92
Cudley The Cowlick
Random Punk

Mondo is one of my favorite TMNT supporting characters of all time. I was beyond thrilled when I saw the announcement.
Kudos to the Nick team for bringing in the 80s toy mutants and making them relevant and rad.
Cudley The Cowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #93
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Loved ot Mondo Gecko.

I still have the toy, lost the skateboard though. Loved to see what he be like in this cartoon.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #94
Midnight Mutant
Foot Soldier

I can see all the 80/90's refs and jokes now.
I've gotta say, Mondo was not one of my top choices...but, as long as they give him a different back story and make him interesting and says cowabunga. (Cause that will just blow my mind) I'll keep an open mind.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #95
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
I didn't much like his OT appearance tho. Mostly because it retconned the turtle's origins a bit by having a lizard be in their bowl too and Splinter didn't notice him in the ooze?? Oh come on.

Mondo wasn't IN the bowl with them; he was in the sewer when they landed there. Probably flushed by some kid's well-meaning parents. Or he could have been a wild gecko living in the sewers from hatching. Geckos have been a common sight in urban areas for years. He just happened to crawl through the mutagen while the turtles were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well it's mostly logical problems:

1. How did Hamato Yoshi make it NY without money?
2. Why crawl down a sewer instead of trying to get help?
3. Why would you touch glowing ooze with your bare hands?
4. If Hamato Yoshi touched the ooze at the same time as the turtles, why did he still turn into a rat?
5. When did he train the turtles? Either Shredder must have been sitting on the Technodrome for years or Splinter trained them in a day.

1. Illegal immigrant/stowaway. Nuff said.
2. homeless folks tend to fend for themselves, often due to pride. They'd rather survive on their own than ask for help. Also, ninja Master probably doesn't equal marketable job skills. Who would hire him? Did he even speak English then?
3. Not sure, but he might have thought it was the liquid from one of those glow-sticks that was busted open. It seems likely, anyway.
4. Key point- he touched the OOZE. Since he was already carrying residual rat DNA, it makes sense that he turned into a rat. He was probably already changing even before he touched any of the turtles!
5. Shredder met Krang BEFORE Yoshi changed (otherwise, there wouldn't have been any mutagen to begin with) but it probably took them YEARS to put their plans into motion. Plenty of time for Yoshi to train up his boys.

Quote:
1. Yoshi was banned from the Foot Clan and since he likely lived there he was homeless and penniless. They said he fled to America.

3. Krang was banished to Earth. He had no army and no body. He obviously met Shredder and agreed to give him Dimension X technology if they worked together. Since both Shredder and Krang want world domination it's easy to see why.

4. The human Foot probably stayed in Japan after Saki went with Krang to the U.S.
I agree with the first two, Cubed. However, you missed a key point. The human Foot didn't stay in Japan- they were in New York in the first episode! They were running Shredder's "businesses", the security company, the pizzeria, and all those other "Ninja" business places. So he was running them like the Yakuza, is my guess- using them to run his "legitimate" ventures and make money for his operations with Krang.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mondo gecko, nick, nickelodeon