The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #41
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It'd just be a case of sharing the scans it via PM, but if you're uncomfortable, that's ok
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass; I don't want to get either of us in trouble in case Disney takes a dim view this sort of thing. Also, I'm one of those people who prefers reading stuff in actual books rather than on a screen.

(Anyways, the prices they have now aren't awful for a trade paperback, but since my comic priorities are to complete my Ultimate Spider-Man trades collection and the new RYV series, that means that stuff that isn't dirt cheap gets lower priority.)
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #42
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Clone Conspiracy#1

I'm usually pretty harsh on Slott, but this wasn't bad at all

Spoiler:
Peter acts more mature and prioritised than I've seen him act in a while. Seems him and MJ are on good terms again as she attends Jay's funeral and looks after Aunt May while Jonah grills Peter over refusing to use the New U tech on his father. Peter and Anna Maria visit the family of the person Peter did use the technology on, but learns that he is suffering from cellular degeneration (he forgot to take his meds), New U took him away. Peter breaks into New U to find out what happened to him, and stumbles on Gwen, Electro, Rhino, Miles Warren and Doc Ock.

The back-up story from Slott and Frenz reveals Gwen regained consciousness before she was thrown off the bridge by the Goblin. She overhears Norman addressing Peter by name and realises he's Spider-Man, and instantly begins resenting him. Events occur as before and Gwen dies...and then she wakes up in one of the Jackal's labs, told she's been "reanimated" and is reunited with her father. She takes one of the pills

BC have an article on the major spoiler

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...-conspiracy-1/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #43
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Clone Conspiracy#1

I'm usually pretty harsh on Slott, but this wasn't bad at all

Spoiler:
Peter acts more mature and prioritised than I've seen him act in a while. Seems him and MJ are on good terms again as she attends Jay's funeral and looks after Aunt May while Jonah grills Peter over refusing to use the New U tech on his father. Peter and Anna Maria visit the family of the person Peter did use the technology on, but learns that he is suffering from cellular degeneration (he forgot to take his meds), New U took him away. Peter breaks into New U to find out what happened to him, and stumbles on Gwen, Electro, Rhino, Miles Warren and Doc Ock.

The back-up story from Slott and Frenz reveals Gwen regained consciousness before she was thrown off the bridge by the Goblin. She overhears Norman addressing Peter by name and realises he's Spider-Man, and instantly begins resenting him. Events occur as before and Gwen dies...and then she wakes up in one of the Jackal's labs, told she's been "reanimated" and is reunited with her father. She takes one of the pills

BC have an article on the major spoiler

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...-conspiracy-1/
Wonder how fans will react to the big spoiler since
Spoiler:
it seems like messing with "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" has never gone over very well (e.g. "Sins Past") and coupling it another Clone Saga, it sounds like a recipe for disaster, IMHO
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #44
ZariusTwo
Overlord

There will be grand cosmic entities at play that will tie the story into Spider-Verse (It's a given it'd have to be, because Kaine's return is a key plot point)

Which makes me wonder...the story is set to give Peter the ultimate temptation, what if that temptation isn't just to bring back all of his own loved ones and people he's failed to save over the years, but also the lives affected across the multiverse by the Inheritors? Including Mayday's dad?

Keep in mind I still think the MC2 affected by Spider-Verse was a different one from the one I read, but it would be an interesting angle for Slott to work on...sadly, 616 Peter will probably resist temptation in the end.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...sion-spoilers/
Old 11-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #45
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
There will be grand cosmic entities at play that will tie the story into Spider-Verse (It's a given it'd have to be, because Kaine's return is a key plot point)

Which makes me wonder...the story is set to give Peter the ultimate temptation, what if that temptation isn't just to bring back all of his own loved ones and people he's failed to save over the years, but also the lives affected across the multiverse by the Inheritors? Including Mayday's dad?

Keep in mind I still think the MC2 affected by Spider-Verse was a different one from the one I read, but it would be an interesting angle for Slott to work on...sadly, 616 Peter will probably resist temptation in the end.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...sion-spoilers/
The story is starting to sound over-stuffed, esp. since what does reality-bending have to do with cloning?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Here's what's coming in summer of 2017 courtesy of a site previewing trade collections for May-August

Old 11-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #47
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Here's what's coming in summer of 2017 courtesy of a site previewing trade collections for May-August

http://i.imgur.com/16IfL6a.png
Not my wheelhouse, for sure.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
So Marvel is finally trying to "fix" the 616 timeline now(in a manner of speaking)? Well better late than never. I actually kind of liked Sins Past as it made Gwen less of this "perfect ideal innocent" character. It made her more human and created some eye-opening moments for Peter.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #49
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Clone Conspiracy#3

Spoiler:
The Jackal is Ben Reily. He offers Peter the chance to bring Uncle Ben back from the dead
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #50
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Clone Conspiracy#3

Spoiler:
The Jackal is Ben Reily. He offers Peter the chance to bring Uncle Ben back from the dead
I sure a lot of long-time fans won't like this twist.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #51
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Clone Conspiracy#3

Spoiler:
God, that is so stupid. How does Marvel even make any money from these kinds of books?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #52
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
God, that is so stupid. How does Marvel even make any money from these kinds of books?
Apparently by pissing off their customers. No kidding, Tom Brevoort said on his forumspring that whenever they do something that fans like, sales are somewhat a little below the mark, but angering readers spikes sales.

That said, ASM, and Marvel books as a whole, are starting to suffer in sales from this practise.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #53
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So Marvel had been planning to bring back Ben Reily for years but the story entered development hell and they had to bring Kane back instead...which sort of worked out, and it's only been recently that Ben has become available to use again.

Y'know, perhaps that explains the Ben Reilly binge Marvel were on in the early stages of BND back in 2008-2009. In addition to a story about Ben from Marc Guggenheim, there was also a Spider-Man/X-Men crossover series which featured a story from Ben's era as Spider-Man and then there was the "Real Clone Saga" which saw Tom DeFalco and Howard Mackie conceive a much happier version of the infamous second act of the Cloning insanity.

But my mind casts back to something else that was going on at the time on the Spider-Man Crawl Space forums. Namely the "protest web comic" written by the site's then-administrator Kevin Cushing.

Before the Spider-Man Crawlspace Comic ended in late 2010, they had just completed a story called "One In A Million" which resurrected Ben Reilly. After one further issue, the series came to an end because the author was trying to break into the business as a professional...now that we know that Ben Reilly's official return was indeed a much delayed story over at Marvel, is it possible the real reason Kevin Cushing stopped working on it was because Marvel became aware of the Crawl Space story and put out a cease and desist on further development on it?

To my understanding, Kevin was also teasing a return of Peter and MJ's daughter too...and she resembled Annie May.

Slott and Wacker were also Crawlspace members around that time period, before Slott requested he be banned because he couldn't take criticism from the members, and Wacker got banned for being a dick and antagonising everybody.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #54
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Apparently by pissing off their customers. No kidding, Tom Brevoort said on his forumspring that whenever they do something that fans like, sales are somewhat a little below the mark, but angering readers spikes sales.

That said, ASM, and Marvel books as a whole, are starting to suffer in sales from this practise.
Funny, ticking me off with story content makes me not want to buy the stuff.

Quote:
So Marvel had been planning to bring back Ben Reily for years but the story entered development hell and they had to bring Kane back instead...which sort of worked out, and it's only been recently that Ben has become available to use again.

Y'know, perhaps that explains the Ben Reilly binge Marvel were on in the early stages of BND back in 2008-2009. In addition to a story about Ben from Marc Guggenheim, there was also a Spider-Man/X-Men crossover series which featured a story from Ben's era as Spider-Man and then there was the "Real Clone Saga" which saw Tom DeFalco and Howard Mackie conceive a much happier version of the infamous second act of the Cloning insanity.

But my mind casts back to something else that was going on at the time on the Spider-Man Crawl Space forums. Namely the "protest web comic" written by the site's then-administrator Kevin Cushing.

Before the Spider-Man Crawlspace Comic ended in late 2010, they had just completed a story called "One In A Million" which resurrected Ben Reilly. After one further issue, the series came to an end because the author was trying to break into the business as a professional...now that we know that Ben Reilly's official return was indeed a much delayed story over at Marvel, is it possible the real reason Kevin Cushing stopped working on it was because Marvel became aware of the Crawl Space story and put out a cease and desist on further development on it?

To my understanding, Kevin was also teasing a return of Peter and MJ's daughter too...and she resembled Annie May.

Slott and Wacker were also Crawlspace members around that time period, before Slott requested he be banned because he couldn't take criticism from the members, and Wacker got banned for being a dick and antagonising everybody.
Huh. That's one interesting theory.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #55
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The rumoured new Spider-Man ongoing next year is supposedly a new volume for Scarlet Spider, with art by USM/ANXM's Mark Bagely and written by long-time Spider-Scribe Peter David.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #56
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The rumoured new Spider-Man ongoing next year is supposedly a new volume for Scarlet Spider, with art by USM/ANXM's Mark Bagely and written by long-time Spider-Scribe Peter David.
So the rumor is that after "Clone Conspiracy" and Slott's Parker Industries/Osborn war story, ASM will be taking a hiatus?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #57
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
So the rumor is that after "Clone Conspiracy" and Slott's Parker Industries/Osborn war story, ASM will be taking a hiatus?
We don't know if ASM will relaunch or not after the Osborn war to coincide with the Homecoming movie. I'm hearing all sorts of things, including that Slott is stepping down (though he said he's not this week, he's misled the readers in the past)
Old 01-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #58
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A Ben Reilly ongoing will indeed spin out of Clone Conspiracy

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-ben-rei...d-mark-bagley/
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #59
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
A Ben Reilly ongoing will indeed spin out of Clone Conspiracy

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-ben-rei...d-mark-bagley/
Will there even be an audience for it? I've gathered that Clone Conspiracy isn't exactly the fan favorite that Marvel was hoping and I've heard very few people happy with the new iteration of Ben Reilly.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #60
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Will there even be an audience for it? I've gathered that Clone Conspiracy isn't exactly the fan favorite that Marvel was hoping and I've heard very few people happy with the new iteration of Ben Reilly.
Probably the reason they're throwing in the very popular Kaine into this book as a supporting character, just to attract that audience. They're going to stick with Ben being "torn" between his sense of responsibility and his darker days as The Jackal...which are not exactly traits that fans of the character are used to.