The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #141
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I enjoyed the issue. Wondering if Worf might be captain of the Enterprise, but that might be a long shot. Still... that's going to be my theory until proven otherwise.
They went out of their way to avoid a gender. I'm going to guess Crusher just because it's a gut feeling... definitely between her and Worf.

Though I suppose it could even be B4, since maybe he hasn't been blown up yet or fritzed out. Maybe we see that happen.

Quote:
And I liked the inherent conflict. Romulans want to be evacuated, by they're an elitist race who don't give a crap about the natives. Why wouldn't they leave them behind? They probably want to leave the Remans behind, too.
Yeah, I was wondering why they created some other primitive Romulan race when all they had to do was use the Remans.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #142
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They went out of their way to avoid a gender. I'm going to guess Crusher just because it's a gut feeling... definitely between her and Worf.

Though I suppose it could even be B4, since maybe he hasn't been blown up yet or fritzed out. Maybe we see that happen.
I'd rather see Beverly running the USS Pasteur like in "All Good Things"... jumping to the command track and leaving medicine entirely is too hard for me to buy. But good point--I actually forgot about her there for a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I was wondering why they created some other primitive Romulan race when all they had to do was use the Remans.
Because Starfleet already knows about the Remans. It's a different fight if Starfleet is saying "Look, we KNOW about your vampiric offshoot species on Remus. Let us evacuate them, too, or no dice."
Old 11-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #143
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'd rather see Beverly running the USS Pasteur like in "All Good Things"... jumping to the command track and leaving medicine entirely is too hard for me to buy. But good point--I actually forgot about her there for a second...
Hm, maybe you're right. And thinking big picture, maybe TBTB wanted to make Michael Dorn happy when he shows up on the show by bringing his "Captain Worf" thing to life. Albeit, differently.

Quote:
Because Starfleet already knows about the Remans. It's a different fight if Starfleet is saying "Look, we KNOW about your vampiric offshoot species on Remus. Let us evacuate them, too, or no dice."
Good point.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #144
IMJ
Stone Warrior

Well I mean.... are they retconning the original Countdown comic which was supposed to be in continuity as an intro to the Abramsverse? Data was Captain of the Ent-E there, and a big deal was made to say that particular book was canon.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #145
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Well I mean.... are they retconning the original Countdown comic which was supposed to be in continuity as an intro to the Abramsverse? Data was Captain of the Ent-E there, and a big deal was made to say that particular book was canon.
No, that can't be canon anymore. We're at the same time in this comic, and Picard is an Admiral here but in that old comic, he was an Ambassador. And unless it's going to turn out that B4-as-Data is in fact the captain of the Enterprise next issue, then that's wrong, too. Geordi seems to be in the same place in both, though.

So... not too comforting for the prospects of this Picard Countdown remaining canonical. Orci AND Kurtzman wrote the story for the old Countdown and that's out the window, so it doesn't really matter if Kirsten Beyer wrote this either.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #146
CyberCubed
Overlord

For TV shows I just consider comics or novels non-canon in an expanded universe kind of thing. If it doesnít happen in a series or movie, I donít count it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #147
IMJ
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For TV shows I just consider comics or novels non-canon in an expanded universe kind of thing. If it doesnít happen in a series or movie, I donít count it.
I'm forced to agree in most cases, but this case it's ridiculous because both this and the original countdown book were thrust into the limelight by the movie studio and creators as being direct connections of canon events to the '09 movie, and now the show.

But yeah, this nonsense proves even further that if it doesn't happen on-screen then it's not part of the story.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #148
CyberCubed
Overlord

The rule of thumb for TV shows or movies that have comic or novel tie-ins, is to view all that stuff as "soft-canon" even if the creators/directors say it's canon. They know good and well most people will never pick up these books or comics, so most of the time TV shows or movies either ignore or just give this stuff a passing reference.

90% of the people watching the new Picard series aren't picking up an IDW comic of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #149
IMJ
Stone Warrior

"soft-canon"

Good term for it, yeah. This is going to be even more ironic if the new show uses the Enterprise-F which was "canonized" in the online game....
Old 12-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #150
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is going to be even more ironic if the new show uses the Enterprise-F which was "canonized" in the online game....
I've been wondering that, too. I feel like we will get to see the Enterprise at some point in STP, but I don't think it's going to be the E, so... kind of means F. And I doubt the people at STP are going to just say, "Oh, the online game already has a design for that ship, we have to use that."

Probably them using the design of the F for the Verity in the Picard Countdown comic is a consolation prize.

Tags
jean luck cuckard