The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I've never met another TMNT fan IRL, so I can't comment on that regards. Most of the people here though, they're all right.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of you don't know about the Nick TMNT fandom on tumblr. It's mostly comprised of young teens who are brand new to the franchise and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to TMNT. It's pretty funny to see how they view the series and how much they like each Turtle, etc.

Some of them eventually went back to watch the 2k3 series or original toon too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #23
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I try to distance myself from fandom in general, cause most of them are just cynical, and complain about really mundane things, I'm just happy that my favorite franchises are relevant again.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
How many kids were even fantasizing that?? I don't recall it being a thing long ago. o.O (Unless this is something that happened during my long hiatus, and less long ago.)

It really isn't all that unusual, though. People (of all ages) will crush on or fantasize about their favorite fictional characters no matter WHAT medium or the character in question happens to be. You should see some of the Drizzt fangirls in Forgotten Realms fandom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Was it TMNT-L? Do people still go there?

Tons. It was everywhere.

You mean IS. Deviant Art, Stealthy Stories, and Inkbunny are all still popular places for that sort of thing. Most of the ones who go for that have been run off of here, however. A shame, too. Most of them are nice folks and pretty even-tempered and understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Most of the real assholes are banned/moved on. We really only have a couple of pesky trolls, and they're not out of control or anything.

Yeah, the fact that this is a catch-all TMNT is part of it. You're like me, in that you enjoy most of the different iterations for what they are, so it's cool that this isn't just a Mirage/Fred Wolf/Nick board. But when people get uppity about their favorite version, it's annoying no matter what side they're on.

Unless they're hating on Bayturtles, then it's fair game. A cynical, hollow, kick in the crotch to TMNT.

But it's funny when I go to, say, a Marvel Cinematic Universe board. That's all people talk about. There's no clowns raging on about how the comics are SO much better, or how Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is the true version of Marvel lol.

They don't come here, but they're still out there.

I pulled up an episode of the Nick cartoon on youtube today to reference some dialogue, quicker than putting the dvd in. I found the comments to be littered with people fighting over Leo, fawning over Donnie, etc.

Nothing wrong with that. As for Marvel, they used to have an entire forum much like this one, but for some reason it got shunted off to another site, and eventually died completely. Back in the day, it had MUCH worse bickering and rudeness than this place ever THOUGHT of. Flame wars galore, I sh*t you not. And not enough Mods to keep up with it all, at times. I was one of them, but it sometimes seemed like even twenty of us(yes, twenty!) wasn't enough to keep the place friendly and free of trolls and a**holes.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #25
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think people fail to understand that a lot of people also have mental disabilities in real life like ADD or bipolar disorder, or are diagnosed with autism or aspergers, and they get frustrated on forums sometimes when people have conflicting opinions.
Most of these people are still capable of handling themselves like f**king adults, though.

Quote:
It's a well know fact most people on line forums are diagnosed with some sort of disability in real life.
I'm gonna need to see a peer-reviewed, publicly and professionally published research paper supporting this.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I'm gonna need to see a peer-reviewed, publicly and professionally published research paper supporting this.
You don't know about the negative stigma surrounding forum dwellers in any internet fandom? Maybe it's because I'm old, but in the early 2000's the more time you spent on the internet, the more of a "loser" you were considered to be. Instead of going outside and socializing in real life, people spent their times on the internet sheltered from the outside world.

It probably got even worse in today's day and age because of social media sites.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #27
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

That has nothing to do with mental disabilities or psychological conditions, though. When the Net first started, the only people ON it were mostly "geeks, nerds, and eggheads", because they were the ones most likely to understand how to use it. As time went on, however, more and more people realized what a useful and powerful tool it could be in business, personal, and creative uses, so it has exploded into something EVERYONE now uses. But being a "loser has nothing to do with that, as virtually EVERYONE is now glued to their phones and tablets these days.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Really? The whole "computer nerds" and "geeks" started because of the internet and online forums. Do none of you remember this who were online in the early 2000's?

I always used to hear things like, "Get off the internet and into the real world," or "People on the internet are losers or sick people with no lives, etc"

They were publically humiliated and ostracized from normal society. They were looked down upon by the masses. I remember it vividly when I was a young lad in the early 2000's. I was only 13 years old back then, and I remember it to this day.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
You don't know about the negative stigma surrounding forum dwellers in any internet fandom? Maybe it's because I'm old, but in the early 2000's the more time you spent on the internet, the more of a "loser" you were considered to be. Instead of going outside and socializing in real life, people spent their times on the internet sheltered from the outside world.

It probably got even worse in today's day and age because of social media sites.
None of this has to do with what was just said.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

No, Cubed, it was basically the opposite. Computer nerds were around long before there WAS an internet- they were the ones building/programming them! And yes, they WERE ostracized- because they were already considered "weird"/geeks, losers with no life (or just too smart- aka eggheads- by "normal" people) and they were the ones who spent their time working on computers; programming them, creating networks, and such. I grew up IN that time period, when schools first began to teach computer literacy classes (this included BASIC operating program and ACAD, BTW) and showing kids how to use and make simple programs. It was a way to get more kids used to the idea of using computers (and later the Net) as a TOOL. Something they didn't need to be afraid of for lack of understanding.

Seriously, while most "geeks" WERE shunned back in the early days of the Net, it was because they were ALREADY social pariahs due to their interests in science and technology, NOT because of the time they spent on the Net. That came later. Now there are so many people on it that it just seems commonplace. But people have ALWAYS told "nerds" to "get out and get a life" even before there WAS an internet! (I should know, I was considered a nerd/geek all through school, due to being smart and being in advanced English and History courses through most of school. Also being a bookworm, in Latin Club and playing chess, among other things.)

Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #31
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Well, let's put it this way. TMNT fans aren't the worst or most rude people I've encountered, but you all get way too worked up over the most pointless things. The Bay movies for example. When those get brought up, it's like the Battle of Gettysburg around here, and sometimes the Nick toon threads get pretty heated too. But really, It's just a common trait of all the fans of different franchises.
Cyndaquilfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #32
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
It's not really indicative of age. The fans have been horrible even since I was a kid. At least nowadays there's far less % that actively fantasize about having sex with the Turtles.
It's adorable that you think this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndaquilfan123 View Post
Well, let's put it this way. TMNT fans aren't the worst or most rude people I've encountered, but you all get way too worked up over the most pointless things. The Bay movies for example. When those get brought up, it's like the Battle of Gettysburg around here, and sometimes the Nick toon threads get pretty heated too. But really, It's just a common trait of all the fans of different franchises.
Troll on, you crazy diamond.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I don't think the TMNT fan base is bad at all, But you know the one fanbase that is the most bad, and the most rude? The Star Wars fan base, the way they bashed and vilified the creator was uncalled for, and makes fandom look bad in general.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #34
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Troll on, you crazy diamond.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I'm a keeper of the peace.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #35
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I don't think the TMNT fan base is bad at all, But you know the one fanbase that is the most bad, and the most rude? The Star Wars fan base, the way they bashed and vilified the creator was uncalled for, and makes fandom look bad in general.
I'm inclined to agree with this, but only because I believe George literally lost his mind at some point in the 90's.

I say this as someone enjoys the prequels, overall.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Star Wars and Star Trek fanbases used to be considered the most bad for years, then anime fans came and took over as the most crazy and insane fans. It's because of anime fans that nobody talks about "Trekkies" anymore.

Now it's all anime waifu's and anime nerds that are the new nerdy people.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #37
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

Quote:
Was it TMNT-L? Do people still go there?
I started out on NTML where you were owner. I pissed off quite a few of the ladies there but you rarely seemed to care what I said or did.

I moved on to an actual disussion board set up like this one. VERY small community. Very sensitive people too who could get worked over nothing. When there were problems on this board, the staff on that board PURPOSEFULLY started a thread to gossip and badmouth Krang/Technodrome forums. When Krang found out, he created a membership and politely asked this other forums' staff not to revel in or publicly discuss the difficulties that were being had here at the time. The owner of those boards basically said "f*** you, don't come here telling me to run my boards."

Scary to think there are even more dysfunctional sub-families than this one.

Edit: It wasn't TMNT-L. Only drama there I ever knew about was one girl selling off a bunch of stuff another girl had given her. They'd been friends, but the girl doing the giving of the gifts had become obsessed with her and started stalking her. So she was selling off all of the merch that was a reminder of that friendship gone awry.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

You quoted me in your sig? Aww, I'm flattered! And incidentally, the people I was referring to are aliena, SleepingSeeker, and a few others. All really cool posters.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #39
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'm inclined to agree with this, but only because I believe George literally lost his mind at some point in the 90's.

I say this as someone enjoys the prequels, overall.
But George doesn't deserve all the hate he's gotten since the prequels, I also enjoyed the prequels, George Lucas made the movies he wanted to make, and as the creator, He can do whatever he wants with his own properties.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #40
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
But George doesn't deserve all the hate he's gotten since the prequels, I also enjoyed the prequels, George Lucas made the movies he wanted to make, and as the creator, He can do whatever he wants with his own properties.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Tags
drome drama vol.99